Rossi Sticking Out His Leg - Why?

BLSJDS

Back after a short break. haha. Had my motorcycle stolen. :(

Found this on another forum

http://www.motogpmatters.com/forum/viewtop...=274&p=5006

One interesting bit from an alleged rider.

"I got it off the Italian Mediaset website where a certain Rider "X" gossips:

'We’ve talked about it among ourselves and a lot of us do it before braking in left hand curves. On the right no, because even of all of us don’t use the rear brake, we like to keep this possibility if we should need it.

If you look carefully at our foot it points towards the inside of the corner. Its a way to create a new centre of gravity that makes the entrance more favourable when you risk going straight. It also helps you feel less the braking stress on your arms, because our pegs are placed way back.'"

As John Hopkins supposedly once said about steering, "I don't know. It just happens."

I would think it would put more stress on the arms. They can't lock into the tank, and it's one more thing they can't shift all that pressure to.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

'We’ve talked about it among ourselves and a lot of us do it before braking in left hand curves. On the right no, because even of all of us don’t use the rear brake, we like to keep this possibility if we should need it.

If you look carefully at our foot it points towards the inside of the corner. Its a way to create a new centre of gravity that makes the entrance more favourable when you risk going straight. It also helps you feel less the braking stress on your arms, because our pegs are placed way back.'"

As John Hopkins supposedly once said about steering, "I don't know. It just happens."

I would think it would put more stress on the arms. They can't lock into the tank, and it's one more thing they can't shift all that pressure to.

Hub,

I'd agree, now is it less stress on the arms?

C

Hub,

I'd agree, now is it less stress on the arms?

C

Questions from my thoughts. I feel like it does increase stress and it appears to make physical sense as there is less interface area with one leg off and the same rider weight. At the same time, it feels as though most of the increase is focused on the left arm and that seems to make sense because of center of mass of the body. It seems like GP riders usually lock in with one knee only anyways, as they pop their knees out during braking. In re-watching some GP races, it looks as if they're sticking their leg out as they turn in. I wonder if using the extra stress on the left to help push the handlebar for turn in makes the riders feel like the right hand has less weight on it? Sort of a weight transfer aided quick turn? Thoughts on this?

I was of the understanding that it was done when they're going in fast. I don't know if it would aid in a quick turn. It has to be some sort of balance. Maybe it was a balance point someone found while reseting their foot after a downshift before getting into turn position.

I was of the understanding that it was done when they're going in fast. I don't know if it would aid in a quick turn. It has to be some sort of balance. Maybe it was a balance point someone found while reseting their foot after a downshift before getting into turn position.

It does seem to only happen when they're going faster. I alway had thought it was a "survival reaction" like when I brace my feet forward in a car if I feel like we're going in too fast. But watching the videos and reading everyone's thoughts just raises more questions in my mind. :huh:

Rewatching some races in slow-motion, it seems like Rossi and Melandri do turn in at the time they drop the leg down. One case I can point out is Melandri in the 07 Sepang race with 4 laps to go. It looks like he drops the foot off the peg right at turn in, and just before he hits max lean, when he stops the push input, he brings the foot back onto the peg.

• 2 months later...

Alright. I know it's beating a dead horse, but I saw something today that I've never seen until World Supersport in Qatar (one of the best races I've seen). Sofuoglu was burning into a corner and out came the right leg. Kinda takes out the repositioning their foot theory?

Alright. I know it's beating a dead horse, but I saw something today that I've never seen until World Supersport in Qatar (one of the best races I've seen). Sofuoglu was burning into a corner and out came the right leg. Kinda takes out the repositioning their foot theory?

I'm sure this can't be the right answer because I've done this, but I've stretched out my right leg (not sure why just that side) for a second or two because it was close to cramping. When this thread first started, that was my initial thought but I figured it was just me not being stretched out well. I don't know what the muscle on the outer side of the leg is called, but sometimes being in the squatted position up on the pegs causes it to get tight. I've ridden for long periods of time on the road with no problem, so if it happens again I'll have to see if it tied to other things like certain body position, locking onto the tank, etc.

Yes, I'm enjoying WSBK this year too. Good racing, in hi-def too!

What station shows it in HD?

We have comcast cable, and there is a Speed HD channel now.

I have Dish, and missed Daytona. Anyone else have Dish, and if so, what are the US races listed under?

What station shows it in HD?

We have comcast cable, and there is a Speed HD channel now.

I have Dish, and missed Daytona. Anyone else have Dish, and if so, what are the US races listed under?

The Speed Channel and AMA Pro Racing have really screwed the pooch with their racing. Daytona was shown live March 5th, and the Superbike and Supersport from Daytona (whatever they're called now) are going to be shown TOMORROW. Three weeks later. Next week they will show this weeks races from Auto Club Speedway.

And to make matters worse, they are only going to be showing the highlights from the races. It is a one hour show that will encompass not only AMA but if I understand correctly, MotoGP and WSBK as well.

I think this is a massively disappointing approach and I feel as a domestic racing fan, I am being pushed aside so that some executives can somehow boost their profit margins. I cannot think of any other logical reason for this type of approach...

-scott

And to make matters worse, they are only going to be showing the highlights from the races. It is a one hour show that will encompass not only AMA but if I understand correctly, MotoGP and WSBK as well.

I think this is a massively disappointing approach and I feel as a domestic racing fan, I am being pushed aside so that some executives can somehow boost their profit margins. I cannot think of any other logical reason for this type of approach...

-scott

Looking at the speed tv website, it appears that the AMA races will be shown a week later. But the WSBK and MotoGP appears to be on the same weekend. WSBK shows the first race on Sunday and the others (race 2 and supersport) on Tuesdays. MotoGP lists on the same day but later in the evening. There could be a factor in that races in Europe give them time for editing, where races here don't. When I went to Level I class at mid-Ohio it was the Monday after an AMA race that Sunday. There were weather delays that Sunday so it missed the alloted time slot, so maybe they build in the delay just to be safe. Or yes, moto racing doesn't have the correct priority.

• 1 month later...

Its a way to create a new centre of gravity that makes the entrance more favourable when you risk going straight.

If you've ridden a taller bike like a super moto you'll know that it feels right to load up the inside of the bike into a turn with your leg, stretched forwards. It has to be primarily a balance thing-ride any bike and try to turn it really tight and slowly with as little gas a possible, you feel like it'll fall over until you stick your inside leg out. Maybe the principle still applies at race speeds?

Has anyone tried this at the track? I may try it tomorrow... :blink:

I just watched the Jerez round of Gp last night and one of the commentators said he had asked Rossi about the leg thing. Rossi said he didn't know why he did it, and that it wasn't a planned move. But it looks like several other riders have started doing it. I found it interesting that with all the speculation that we do when watching it, even Rossi doesn't know the answer. Apparently it works though.

Watching the MotoGP on the week-end, one of the commentators mentioned that they asked Rossi why he puts his left foot out, his reply was, ''it feels comfortable, and i also put out the right foot''. Infact mid way through the race he did infact let the right leg swing.

Watching the MotoGP on the week-end, one of the commentators mentioned that they asked Rossi why he puts his left foot out, his reply was, ''it feels comfortable, and i also put out the right foot''. Infact mid way through the race he did infact let the right leg swing.

I saw the right come out a few times. Also, when Rossi was really on gas, I think he puts it out less, what do you guys see?

CF

i think the reason why they do it is to confuse us all. i always see him do it during left handers. hes probably just adjusting his toes after down shifting. i see it at slower corners where he downshift pretty late and is somewhat already started his lean. its a mystery i guess. i really dont see it helping him stop the bike any more that just braking and i also dont think it improves stability. but what do i know... he is the Champ.

I saw the right come out a few times. Also, when Rossi was really on gas, I think he puts it out less, what do you guys see?

CF

It looks to me that when he's really on it after passing someone he has a qualifying line which is maybe higher corner speeds and wider turn entries, but when he's fighting someone for the corner, he'll brake later and deeper to block pass or block a pass and that's when he needs the extra balance that the foot out gives him

• 4 weeks later...

I noticed he (and other racers) only drop their leg when they are braking very late and they are making a VERY quick steer and when it happens its usually always the same corner on that particular track. Perhaps when riding over the limit maybe? Anyone else notice the same? Heck, I think even Spies was doing this at Kyalami.

Anyone who has ever stuck their knee out at the end of a long straight would have noticed how it almost acts almost like a parachute (to a certain extent), it may be possible that taking the foot off the peg could increase this effect (?)...not sure. Either way, if Rossi and friends are doing it chances are it may be a good thing to add to our own repertoire.

I believe it was Rossi who said that this action was purely for convince. Let's say your coming up to a hard braking 90* left hand corner. Your on the brakes hard, your left foot downshifts now the braking g's are pulling your left foot forward. Now you need to concentrate on steering, why would you spend energy trying to pull that left foot back on the peg. Let's just let it hang out there till you can bring it back easer.

So the reason... just because.

I keep both knees on the tank, to keep some weight off the bars while braking.

Now, does Rossi do this all the time, or mostly when he is not quite at max pace? Like if he is trying to break away, does he do it as much?

CF

Hey guys, Nadsta had it right a few posts ago, purely a balancing thing. Try it next time you come out of a tight junction, pick a late turn in line onto the side of the road you're aiming for just as you're turning in stick your leg out, the bike feels a lot more stable, albeit at slower speeds