How Do Your Leathers Fit You?

Tried on a couple suits, 2 piece and 1 piece. The 2 piece was fine but the 1 piece was really tight in the crotch when I stood straight up. I am 6'2 weigh about 155 pounds, tried on a 40 and a 42. I know these suits are made to fit more for sitting but when I stood straight up it was very uncomfortable. I think the average guy wearing a 40/42 is more like 5'10" or so. How do yours fit? Is this normal? Do they stretch considerably? Do you prefer a 1 or 2 piece?

Tried on a couple suits, 2 piece and 1 piece. The 2 piece was fine but the 1 piece was really tight in the crotch when I stood straight up. I am 6'2 weigh about 155 pounds, tried on a 40 and a 42. I know these suits are made to fit more for sitting but when I stood straight up it was very uncomfortable. I think the average guy wearing a 40/42 is more like 5'10" or so. How do yours fit? Is this normal? Do they stretch considerably? Do you prefer a 1 or 2 piece?

I am 5'7" at 145 and have a 1pc size 48 (Eur) which fits pretty snug when standing, but on the bike it's completely neutral with nothing bunching or tugging anywhere. A friend of mine is 6'3" and got a 2pc with the pants in a tall size which helps in length but the jacket is roomy around his mid section to get the length he needed. A 2pc is nice to be able to take off the jacket at the track in between sessions on hot days. Just make sure it's comfortable in the bike position- you don't want to spend any of your "attention budget" on distraction from gear.

I am 5'7" at 145 and have a 1pc size 48 (Eur) which fits pretty snug when standing, but on the bike it's completely neutral with nothing bunching or tugging anywhere. A friend of mine is 6'3" and got a 2pc with the pants in a tall size which helps in length but the jacket is roomy around his mid section to get the length he needed. A 2pc is nice to be able to take off the jacket at the track in between sessions on hot days. Just make sure it's comfortable in the bike position- you don't want to spend any of your "attention budget" on distraction from gear.

Maybe I should try on bigger size like a 48. I mean for how much leathers cost I want it to fit excellent!

Maybe I should try on bigger size like a 48. I mean for how much leathers cost I want it to fit excellent!

Yes, for the money you have to spend, do it right. Be aware of US and European sizing since a number of brands originate in Europe. My gear is Alpinestars which is an Italian company, and the suit, jackets, pants etc. have both sizes on the label, the difference being 10, so size label says "USA 38 EUR 48" "USA 40 EUR 50" etc. On me at 5'7" a 48 (38 US) is snug and not easy to put on, so I'm sure at your height you couldn't get into it. One thing to keep in mind is to make sure it fits with the back protector (get a good one (not just a foam pad) at the outset, don't put that off until later) and possibly chest protector you want to use. Some other guys may have experience with custom-fit leathers- that might be what you need. Hopefully someone can chime in on that.

Depends on how one is built, some of the off the shelf suits fit pretty darn well. I don't fit well in off the shelf suits, long torso, short legs, it doesn't work out well if I was to do a lot of serious track riding. For sure take a back protector and try it on with that.

Custom is great, but some guys get it to match the bike they have now, and in a few years with a new bike...so, maybe something a little more generic.

I'm 6 ft 2 but a fair bit heavier than you at 220 lbs. I wear a dainese 2 piece suit which I find very comfortable, Its a Euro size 56 UK size 46 which I believe will be the same as you will get in USA! I need the 56 suit due to having big shoulders but for a perfect fit I'd want the trousers of a 54 and the jacket of a 56 as when not zipped together I'm always pulling my trousers up.

I personally prefer 2 piece suits, just for comfort off the bike aswell as on it, as I can remove my jacket when not riding, saying that I think if I was going racing I would get a one piece suit for that!

I'm 6 ft 2 but a fair bit heavier than you at 220 lbs. I wear a dainese 2 piece suit which I find very comfortable, Its a Euro size 56 UK size 46 which I believe will be the same as you will get in USA! I need the 56 suit due to having big shoulders but for a perfect fit I'd want the trousers of a 54 and the jacket of a 56 as when not zipped together I'm always pulling my trousers up.

I personally prefer 2 piece suits, just for comfort off the bike aswell as on it, as I can remove my jacket when not riding, saying that I think if I was going racing I would get a one piece suit for that!

2 pieces make a lot of sense for a street rider. I confess to not getting much street riding in these days (chaufering kids when I'm in town).

C

I'm 6'2 210, and wear a 56 Dainese. It is SNUG, and I can't stand up straight in it. I think it depends on what kind of riding you're going to do. If you're going to trackday it, a two piece would probably be fine. I've had some friends fly in 3/4 to full zip pants from highsides, and skip down the track in lowsides, and they are just as safe.

Difference is my friends can just take off their jackets, and I have to pull my arms out of the sleeves, and kind of carry my suit around unless I want to take it all the way off. I have to pull my arms out because the suit is so..... squinchy that it kills my back (I have a bad back).

I am 6 ft 200lbs and wear a Alpinestars 48us and it fits great. It is a bit snug if I try to stand tall but once I am in the riding position it is perfect. I have worn both 1 and 2 piece suits and had a high speed get off in my 2 piece with no issues with it. Now I ride mostly track and have switched to a 1 piece. I know it is a mental thing but I do have to say I feel better in my 1 piece then my 2 piece.

I am 6 ft 200lbs and wear a Alpinestars 48us and it fits great. It is a bit snug if I try to stand tall but once I am in the riding position it is perfect. I have worn both 1 and 2 piece suits and had a high speed get off in my 2 piece with no issues with it. Now I ride mostly track and have switched to a 1 piece. I know it is a mental thing but I do have to say I feel better in my 1 piece then my 2 piece.

For track only riding, it has less seams, less areas that can come apart. I'm more comfortable in one too. One thing that surpirses me is what guys do and don't wear under them. Bare flesh or t-shirts really aren't very good--one sticks to the suit. Inner liners like Kushitani or RS Taiichi (not sure on spelling), or Under Armour, lots of guys like those too. I wear both a full mesh liner on hot days, or top and bottom on cold days. Just this makes riding so much more comfortable!

For track only riding, it has less seams, less areas that can come apart. I'm more comfortable in one too. One thing that surpirses me is what guys do and don't wear under them. Bare flesh or t-shirts really aren't very good--one sticks to the suit. Inner liners like Kushitani or RS Taiichi (not sure on spelling), or Under Armour, lots of guys like those too. I wear both a full mesh liner on hot days, or top and bottom on cold days. Just this makes riding so much more comfortable!

I wear jogging pants and an Under Armour long sleeve top which works great for not sticking to the leathers. Man it sucks to try and get out of them without it now. lol

I wear jogging pants and an Under Armour long sleeve top which works great for not sticking to the leathers. Man it sucks to try and get out of them without it now. lol

I wear UA underneath, but still have a problem with binding on the knee pads. My pads are foam rubber on the inside and stick to the inner liner. I've been thinking of putting something on the inside of the pads to make 'em slippery. Anyone else have this problem and come up with a good fix?

I wear UA underneath, but still have a problem with binding on the knee pads. My pads are foam rubber on the inside and stick to the inner liner. I've been thinking of putting something on the inside of the pads to make 'em slippery. Anyone else have this problem and come up with a good fix?

Do you wear full length on the bottom half?

Yep, full length. Just seem to bind up on the knees. I have an inner liner in the suit which is kind of like mesh and I wear full length UA. Gotta start experimenting. I'm already big on the bike (6'4") and the last thing I need is binding at the knees.

Yep, full length. Just seem to bind up on the knees. I have an inner liner in the suit which is kind of like mesh and I wear full length UA. Gotta start experimenting. I'm already big on the bike (6'4") and the last thing I need is binding at the knees.

OK, if full length on those, then it's down to the suit. As I recall (and looking at your avatar) you have your own suit, maybe some tailoring...? who made it?

OK, if full length on those, then it's down to the suit. As I recall (and looking at your avatar) you have your own suit, maybe some tailoring...? who made it?

Yea, exactly what I was thinking. It's a Syed suit custom made in Florida. There's a local girl (LizzyLeather) that a lot of the WERA guys use. Going to talk to her about it.

Yea, exactly what I was thinking. It's a Syed suit custom made in Florida. There's a local girl (LizzyLeather) that a lot of the WERA guys use. Going to talk to her about it.

Let us know how it goes, always interested in finding out who is doing what with leathers.

C

I wear an EDZ under suit with my leathers, its one of those light weight materials that keep you warm when its cold and cool when its hot, makes it easy to get in and out of leathers too without sticking to the lining.

How tight do you guys think it should fit? there is certain places I am guessing everyones is a little loose, like the difference between sitting and standing up in the butt area, and in the tricep area as well.

One area that surprised me is that when they are too big (like in the length of the torso) they can bind. I had this problem. It would drop down to my upper thighs and would restrict my leg movement, really was a pain. With the leathers that fit tighter up into my groing, I had more flexibility.

Let me ask something else about leather. I have a 2-piece perf set from Vanson. Furnished with the suit were 3 zippered bits of fabric which zip to zippers in the jacket and pants....kinda holding it all together. Does zipping the top to the bottom really do any good? If I wear this rig at a school will I be required to zip it all up?

Let me ask something else about leather. I have a 2-piece perf set from Vanson. Furnished with the suit were 3 zippered bits of fabric which zip to zippers in the jacket and pants....kinda holding it all together. Does zipping the top to the bottom really do any good? If I wear this rig at a school will I be required to zip it all up?

Hi BillA,

Not familiar with this exact set up. If the suit is 2 piece, it will need to zip together, simply a safey issue. When in doubt, you can rent one of ours if you need.

Cobie

Has anyone tried to buy a 1 piece off the shelf then get it tailored in a few places to make it fit a lil better?

I've had adjustments made to suits, but usually didn't end up being perfect, just better.

C