Forum Posters, And Forum Lurkers

OK all, here's something Stuman and I were talking about the other day: how come a number of threads get hundreds even THOUSANDSs of views, and 4-8 replies?

What I'd like is for all, the regulars as well as ANYONE just reading this, to chime in on the reason they post, or don't post.

1. Do you just like to read, maybe pick something up?

2. You find it entertaining?

3. You don't want to post, think you have nothing to contribute?

4. Too difficult to register for the forum?

5. Rather remain anonymous?

6. Can't type very fast.

Even if you just echo what someone else states, reply and let us know what you think, even if only a 1-2 word reply, like "me too" or one of the numbered questions above!

I hope this thread gets to 500 replies, cause I'd like to know what you guys/gals are thinking.

Best,

Cobie

Well I'll be honored to be the first to reply. I read them all but only typically reply when I feel I have something pertinent to add to the discussion or a question to ask.

And I would have to agree w/Derek, Kevin and Sleepr...

Me too. The other side of it is that I'm really busy. I scroll through the posts to keep up with everything, but lately haven't had the time to post. I follow quite a few boards and it's the same story over there too....just too busy. It takes time to make a well laid out and informative post. There's an old saying "Better to keep your mouth shut and let everyone think you're an idiot than to open it and remove all doubt" Something like that...

Well I'll be honored to be the first to reply. I read them all but only typically reply when I feel I have something pertinent to add to the discussion or a question to ask.

I second Sleeper's comment.

Kevin

I have to agree, I read them all and respond when I feel I have something I can add or if I can offer something that might help as well as if I am looking for some answers myself.

One thing about this forum is there isn't a lot of other stuff on it. On another forum there's a lengthy thread on Obabma---on a m/cycle forum. As far as I know, the guy doesn't ride.

OK, like to get some more responses, see if the guys that don't post will get in here a bit too. In other words, why don't some guys post?

OK all, here's something Stuman and I were talking about the other day: how come a number of threads get hundreds even THOUSANDSs of views, and 4-8 replies?

What I'd like is for all, the regulars as well as ANYONE just reading this, to chime in on the reason they post, or don't post.

1. Do you just like to read, maybe pick something up?

2. You find it entertaining?

3. You don't want to post, think you have nothing to contribute?

4. Too difficult to register for the forum?

5. Rather remain anonymous?

6. Can't type very fast.

Even if you just echo what someone else states, reply and let us know what you think, even if only a 1-2 word reply, like "me too" or one of the numbered questions above!

I hope this thread gets to 500 replies, cause I'd like to know what you guys/gals are thinking.

Best,

Cobie

I post when I think I have something to contribute...or at least can share a laugh or two with something sarcastic...to try and keep it moving perhaps.

Other times, some of the threads don't pique my interest.

I just like to get into some of the discussions we have on here, or sometimes when I am not sure about something regarding cornering I stick the question up here and it gets answered usually within a few hours.

This is good, the theme seems to be if the person has something to say, they post.

One point I read recently, and paraphrasing it poorly, is that learning is active. Just reading/studying isn't as good as doing something. Even posting a "yes" "no" or "this is lame" is better than nothing.

Another point is do guys think what they have to say/write is not worth putting down? I'd say it is, and one reason simply that it can be seen what riders do and don't know, what they are thinking about, what is important to them.

Part of the "tone" of this forum is that guys aren't going to flamed or riduculed if they don't know something.

So, keep posting!!

Best,

Cobie

I try to post in a participatory fashion. I started out, for a short time, just reading, and learned plenty, but it pales in comparison to what I've learned since I've posted comments and started asking questions. This forum is an anomaly in that we talk almost exclusively about motorcycles and riding. Every other site has people discussing whatever they want. This is, hands down, my favorite forum. I've stopped going to every other motorcycle site, save for a couple local ones.

I would also like to add a big thank you to all the regulars. You seem to be a bunch of genuinely good and knowledgable people. School has been put on hold for me (I was PLANNING on April), but if I can stay healthy enough I will be able to attend in the not too distant future. My goal is to learn enough to be able to coach people at the track, and until I'm taught from the best (CSS staff), I can't help give anyone advice on anything more than BP.

I try to post in a participatory fashion. I started out, for a short time, just reading, and learned plenty, but it pales in comparison to what I've learned since I've posted comments and started asking questions. This forum is an anomaly in that we talk almost exclusively about motorcycles and riding. Every other site has people discussing whatever they want. This is, hands down, my favorite forum. I've stopped going to every other motorcycle site, save for a couple local ones.

I would also like to add a big thank you to all the regulars. You seem to be a bunch of genuinely good and knowledgable people. School has been put on hold for me (I was PLANNING on April), but if I can stay healthy enough I will be able to attend in the not too distant future. My goal is to learn enough to be able to coach people at the track, and until I'm taught from the best (CSS staff), I can't help give anyone advice on anything more than BP.

Hub,

Really glad you posted that, as there are tons of forums, and the numbers of memembers seem to be pretty big, but msot seem to get into other topics, in a big way. One forum i went to, about the biggest topic was Obama and guns. Maybe interesting subjects, but not really motorcycle related!

Hope we see you soon, like to meet you1

Jaybird has signed up, we'll abuse him in late March I think it is : :D

Best,

CF

I'm a lurker. I like reading through the posts mostly in the cornering forum to see what barriers people are hitting. And if they are the same as mine i see or read what was used or done to over come them. There are so many people here with so much knowledge I try to absorb as much as i can reading through the posts. I guess if I had some informative to say i would post it. Most of the time somebody has already said what i wanted to.

I'm a lurker. I like reading through the posts mostly in the cornering forum to see what barriers people are hitting. And if they are the same as mine i see or read what was used or done to over come them. There are so many people here with so much knowledge I try to absorb as much as i can reading through the posts. I guess if I had some informative to say i would post it. Most of the time somebody has already said what i wanted to.

Hi Chocadile,

Got it. It's good to get what you guys think or find is happening to you. It's one thing to get a question up here and one guy, or 2 guys respond, but to know that 10 riders think, that's helpful (so post your thoughts too!)

Best,

Cobie

• 2 weeks later...

1. Do you just like to read, maybe pick something up? Yes

2. You find it entertaining? Yes

3. You don't want to post, think you have nothing to contribute? Most of the time

4. Too difficult to register for the forum? Not at all.

5. Rather remain anonymous? Sometimes... ;)

6. Can't type very fast. Definitely a problem :P

Best,

Cobie

What did this get the post count up to???

I haven't been to a trackday yet, so I don't feel I have much to offer compared to all the very experienced and knowledgeable people on this forum. However, I'm signed up for Level 1 and 2 at NJMP in August, so maybe after that I'll have enough knowledge to contribute effectively.

I haven't been to a trackday yet, so I don't feel I have much to offer compared to all the very experienced and knowledgeable people on this forum. However, I'm signed up for Level 1 and 2 at NJMP in August, so maybe after that I'll have enough knowledge to contribute effectively.

Hi Col,

Thanks for posting that, we get it. 1 and 2 in August, that will be fun, it's a nice track.

One thing that I think helps is knowing what the students (and prospective students) are interested in. In that case, your posting is helpful, so join in any time.

Best,

Cobie

• 2 weeks later...
What did this get the post count up to???

Zia;

697 views; 19 posts. This one is number 20.

What up's with that?

Kevin

Hhhmmm.... I see your point <_< . I'm new to the whole 'forum' thing....I just had to google what an avatar was :unsure: . Then it took about another hour to figure out how to get it small enough :blink:. I'm new to riding, I feel like I dont really know enough, so I just try to read up on whatever good informations out there. Somehow I always end up on youtube wasting time watching 'inappropriate' :lol: behavior on motorcycles. I'm the hands on type, so I'm committed to learning the in's and out's of my bike, so hopefully I can do some work on it without having left over bolts. I'm not a big fan of paying someone $60 an hour for a 10 minute job :angry: , but I also know there are somethings better left to good mechanics. Can anyone recommend any good one's in the Norfolk, VA, area :( ?? Anyway, since I'm new to this.... I will be asking what may seem like dumb questions... to seasoned riders like yourselves, but I know it will help me in the long run, I'd rather have a good understanding of what I need to do and do it right the first time. And I dont care what anyone says..... there is such a thing as a dumb question.... I hear them ALL the time! :lol: Looking forward to learning alot and meeting new people! Thanks.

Hi Cobie,

Excuse me, but I just noticed something very disturbing :o that I hope you can help me with. When I posted my comment, I noticed that under my name is the word 'Squid' :ph34r: . Now, I will give you the benefit of a doubt....but those who know, know that calling a Jarhead a squid can land you somewhere you may not want to be.... <_< . The following is a small but useful guide in the lingo. 'Flyboy, Falcon' (Air Force), 'Jarhead, Devil Dog' (Marines), 'Soldier' (Army), 'Squid' (Navy), 'Puddle Jumpers' (Coast Guard), etc., are terms of endearment :wub: we use describing each other. Please inform your management, that I would like to have that title removed from that and any further posts I make :angry: . (Just kidding, I know it's some kind of rating thing....right?! Dumb question #1.) :lol:

Oorah!,

FIJI750

Hi Cobie,

Excuse me, but I just noticed something very disturbing :o that I hope you can help me with. When I posted my comment, I noticed that under my name is the word 'Squid' :ph34r: . Now, I will give you the benefit of a doubt....but those who know, know that calling a Jarhead a squid can land you somewhere you may not want to be.... <_< . The following is a small but useful guide in the lingo. 'Flyboy, Falcon' (Air Force), 'Jarhead, Devil Dog' (Marines), 'Soldier' (Army), 'Squid' (Navy), 'Puddle Jumpers' (Coast Guard), etc., are terms of endearment :wub: we use describing each other. Please inform your management, that I would like to have that title removed from that and any further posts I make :angry: . (Just kidding, I know it's some kind of rating thing....right?! Dumb question #1.) :lol:

Oorah!,

FIJI750

Hi welcome to the forum, the only way to get rid of the squid tag is to keep on posting!