School Bike, Or Own Bike

I am planing on attending CSS at VIR this May. I live about 70 miles away from the track, so I will driving or riding to the track at the day of training.

My question is whether to use the track bike, or to bring my own bike?

In your opinion, what are the advantages and disadvantages?

I rode for about 1 year, or about 6000 miles. I haven't ridden a bike for about 2 1/2 years however. I recently bought a Duc 800SS, but I haven't ridden it yet- waiting on the title and registration.

Thanks

I am planing on attending CSS at VIR this May. I live about 70 miles away from the track, so I will driving or riding to the track at the day of training.

I rode for about 1 year, or about 6000 miles. I haven't ridden a bike for about 2 1/2 years however. I recently bought a Duc 800SS, but I haven't ridden it yet- waiting on the title and registration.

Thanks

Hi JohnE,

There can be pluses either way, and I will of course give you a 100% biased answer :rolleyes::rolleyes:

The pluses of our bikes is this:

1. You don't have to worry about anything with the bike: fuel, transpo, tire wear, mechanical problems, zip. Just show up like a factory rider and ride. This can be pretty distracting, if a rider is concerned about his nice bike. Rarely do things happen, but they can. If that goes away using a rental--might be worth it.

2. Cost of repair. Even if you just tip it over in the pits (not likely, but possible) cost to repair is likely way more than on our bike (which only cost parts, no labor).

3. Our bikes are set up very well, really work nicely. That alone will give you a good comparison for other bikes (like your own). The suspension on your bike could be fine, could be a bit worn, could be not very well adjusted (we see that a lot). So riding one that is will give you a good standard to measure from.

4. Our bikes are taken care of by a top mechanic. Not only does he know the bikes, but all the different pieces of it: tires, suspension, riding (he's a top rider).

5. Racetrack riding is pretty taxing--you might not want to have to ride home after a full day!

Now, a plus of brining your own is you could have him take a look at it, and get some recommendations. But you could do that if you ride it or not. Some come and do 2 days, ride our bike one day, their own the next.

There you go, let's see what the other guys have to say.

Best,

Cobie

ps--I hadn't seen you post before, so welcome to the forum!

Thanks

Hi JohnE,

There can be pluses either way, and I will of course give you a 100% biased answer :rolleyes::rolleyes:

The pluses of our bikes is this:

1. You don't have to worry about anything with the bike: fuel, transpo, tire wear, mechanical problems, zip. Just show up like a factory rider and ride. This can be pretty distracting, if a rider is concerned about his nice bike. Rarely do things happen, but they can. If that goes away using a rental--might be worth it.

2. Cost of repair. Even if you just tip it over in the pits (not likely, but possible) cost to repair is likely way more than on our bike (which only cost parts, no labor).

3. Our bikes are set up very well, really work nicely. That alone will give you a good comparison for other bikes (like your own). The suspension on your bike could be fine, could be a bit worn, could be not very well adjusted (we see that a lot). So riding one that is will give you a good standard to measure from.

4. Our bikes are taken care of by a top mechanic. Not only does he know the bikes, but all the different pieces of it: tires, suspension, riding (he's a top rider).

5. Racetrack riding is pretty taxing--you might not want to have to ride home after a full day!

Now, a plus of brining your own is you could have him take a look at it, and get some recommendations. But you could do that if you ride it or not. Some come and do 2 days, ride our bike one day, their own the next.

There you go, let's see what the other guys have to say.

Best,

Cobie

ps--I hadn't seen you post before, so welcome to the forum!

Thanks Cobie

Thanks Cobie

If you get a moment, let us know which way you go, and what prompted you to go that way.

C

Although I would like to use my bike so I can learn its limits and get familiar with it, I am leaning towards using the school bike for the following reasons:

1- The fear of dropping my bike will be always on the back of my head, and I won't be able to push myself to the limit.

2- I think after a full day at the school, I will be very tired to ride 1 1/2 back home. I have a Ducati SS; it is not the most ergonomic bike.

Thanks Cobie

Thanks Cobie

If you get a moment, let us know which way you go, and what prompted you to go that way.

C

Although I would like to use my bike so I can learn its limits and get familiar with it, I am leaning towards using the school bike for the following reasons:

1- The fear of dropping my bike will be always on the back of my head, and I won't be able to push myself to the limit.

2- I think after a full day at the school, I will be very tired to ride 1 1/2 back home. I have a Ducati SS; it is not the most ergonomic bike.

Thanks Cobie

Cobie can square this up if I'm amiss, but at the school students are told to go 70%. Crashing should not be part of the equation. If you encounter an SR, it probably means your ego has become a barrier to your improvement.

It's almost always a bad idea to ride to/from the track for multiple reasons...unless it's a local track and you have a backup plan. Persoanally I trailer, even when going to my "local" track; I don't think I'd step on too many toes by saying that majority of trackday enthusiasts do too.

Cobie can square this up if I'm amiss, but at the school students are told to go 70%. Crashing should not be part of the equation. If you encounter an SR, it probably means your ego has become a barrier to your improvement.

It's almost always a bad idea to ride to/from the track for multiple reasons...unless it's a local track and you have a backup plan. Persoanally I trailer, even when going to my "local" track; I don't think I'd step on too many toes by saying that majority of trackday enthusiasts do too.

We don't put any restrictions on the students, we just ask them to follow the format. If all is moving ahead fine (and they will know what that is, very clear on that) no problem. The no brakes drill is a great way to start, and many continue with it. It won't slow you down in the turns, just gives you some more time on the way up to them.

Thanks

John,

I missed some critical parts of your post. Sorry about that.

Q- Have you ridden on a track before?

If yes, then I'd say drive your car

If no, then I'd say have someone drop you off and pick you up

I didn't notice that you're only 70 miles away (lucky you).

John,

Hey Jay:

I have been on a track day once about 3 years ago. I am very rusty right now, because I haven't ridden for about 2 1/2 years, and I hope I will be in a good shape by may.

I live 70 miles away, but I don't have a trailer, a truck, or a car that can trail anything. I only have a 350Z conv. and a Del Sol...only 2-seaters for me..;)

John,

Hey Jay:

I have been on a track day once about 3 years ago. I am very rusty right now, because I haven't ridden for about 2 1/2 years, and I hope I will be in a good shape by may.

I live 70 miles away, but I don't have a trailer, a truck, or a car that can trail anything. I only have a 350Z conv. and a Del Sol...only 2-seaters for me..;)

Well, if you decide to bring the duck you can always rent. I've done Uhaul truck, Uhaul trailer (on a friend's vehicle), but the best was renting a minivan. I removed the seats, put the bike on the right side; sidestand down; strapped to seat hooks and slept trackside in the van on an air mattress. The best weekend I ever had.

John;

I have seen students ride their bikes from more than twice that distance when the School used to go to Watkins Glen in upstate NY. Guys from NYC and central Connecticut would ride up, remove their mirrors (and saddlebags for some BMW riders), tape their lights and they were good to go.

Living 70 miles from a race track is a dream come true for almost everybody on this Forum.

Kevin

• 5 months later...

+ 1. I nice comfy car for the ride back and you don't have to worry about transport if your bike is out of commission (knock wood).

John,

Hey Jay:

Well, if you decide to bring the duck you can always rent. I've done Uhaul truck, Uhaul trailer (on a friend's vehicle), but the best was renting a minivan. I removed the seats, put the bike on the right side; sidestand down; strapped to seat hooks and slept trackside in the van on an air mattress. The best weekend I ever had.

I love the way you think, Jaybird!

John,

Hey Jay:

I love the way you think, Jaybird!

...and you're welcome to use the idea. I've been thinking about buying a mini-van, but I've been told I'm banned. We're still negotiating that one (LOL).

Just for the record, I rode more than 500 miles (850kilometers) to get to the track. Removed the saddlebags, taped the mirrors and had a blast at the track doing level 1 and 2. Then I rode back, 500 miles in pooring rain. Took me 13 hours straight, and my b*alls were frozen over by the time I got home. :blink:

But all things concidered, this was the best weekend of my life! ;)

PS. I ride a comfy Honda Blackbird :ph34r:

My question is whether to use the track bike, or to bring my own bike? What are the advantages and disadvantages?
John,

I did all four levels this year at Thunderbolt Raceway in NJ, (Levels 1 & 2 in May, and Levels 3 & 4 just two weeks ago). I thought about this issue also, but in the end opted to go with CSS's dedicated ZX6R trackbike rather than my own bike. I'm glad I did.

Advantages:

1. No wear and tear on your bike. Tires wear quickly at the track. I figured, why wear out my tires?

2. Unless you already own a ZX6R, this is an opportunity for you to try out a new bike! I have to say, I loved the ZX6R. But for CSS, I would never have had the opportunity to ride one on the track.

3. No hassle in getting your own bike to the track. There's really only two ways to get your bike to the track. You either have to ride your bike to the track or trailer it to the track. Both are a hassle. When you get done with your CSS trackday, what could be nicer than slipping off your leathers and getting into your comfortable car without having to worry about loading up your bike onto a trailer, or, (worse yet!), making your bike street legal again and getting back on it for a ride home?

4. No worries about mechanical issues. If your bike has a problem, you've got a problem. But if CSS's ZX6R has a mechanical issue, ride it into the paddock, and Will Eikenberry will put you on a different bike. It happened to me during level 3. The bike I was riding was dogging. I brought it in and Will switched me to a new bike. This was so nice!

Disadvantages:

None that I can think of.

Leave your bike at home. Use their bike. You won't be sorry. Oh yeah...have a blast!!

Elton

• 3 months later...
  • 11 months later...

So I'm signed up for a 2-Day camp in March at the streets and it's "free" to use the school bike with the 2-day camp, but could I ride my own bike if I wanted to? I guess I'm thinking that maybe towards the end of the the 2-day camp that I'd like to be able to take my D675 around the track to see how it feels and see if I can apply what I've learned to my own bike while having the CSS coaches there.

Thanks

-Brian

So I'm signed up for a 2-Day camp in March at the streets and it's "free" to use the school bike with the 2-day camp, but could I ride my own bike if I wanted to? I guess I'm thinking that maybe towards the end of the the 2-day camp that I'd like to be able to take my D675 around the track to see how it feels and see if I can apply what I've learned to my own bike while having the CSS coaches there.

Thanks

-Brian

Brian,

That format would be fine. Do the majority on our bike, then late in the day take your bike out for a session or 2, that would be OK. Be sure to get the bike tech'ed early, and let your coach know when you change.

Best,

Cobie

Thanks

-Brian

There are a number of different routes to go here. They all have to do with money. If you've already signed up for the two day and paid $2250, why not take advantage of the BMW. You'd get to ride the BMW. You'll be able to apply what you've learned easily from those bikes to yours. Don't even concern yourself with that. I practice my track skills (at SLOW speeds) on an EX-650 and it will stick when I get on the ZX6R.

Although places like Vegas have their two day camp only, Streets has a $400 a day class, and I'm taking advantage of that March 26+27th. That's $800 for two days. That's WAY cheaper than $2250. You could even do one day on theirs just to ride the BMW and save big. Find one of those, and you can do all 4 levels for less than the two day camp. I know all that other stuff is thrown in there, and the video bike is really helpful, but you can add that in for a lot less than what would add up to be $1450.

Although places like Vegas have their two day camp only, Streets has a $400 a day class, and I'm taking advantage of that March 26+27th. That's $800 for two days. That's WAY cheaper than $2250. You could even do one day on theirs just to ride the BMW and save big. Find one of those, and you can do all 4 levels for less than the two day camp. I know all that other stuff is thrown in there, and the video bike is really helpful, but you can add that in for a lot less than what would add up to be $1450.

Jason;

This is comparing apples to oranges; you didn't mention a much lower student teacher ratio at the 2-Day camp PLUS at least six if not seven sessions (I have cornered worked at an east coast venue that had seven rotations) so you do receive much more and the cost reflects that benefit.

Rainman

Streets is a great deal, we pass along the lowered costs to the students, and the single day schools are solid.

The 2-day camp has been our most popular program since its inception, 1986. The format of tons of riding, high coach ratio (and low student count), video review and the other aids (brake rig for one), can really make it worth it.

CF