Where We Are, And What We Are Doing

Rather than post a new thread each time we go in or out of town, or do something new, I figured to start one that will keep any that are interested up on what we are doing. Let me know if you are interested in this, or if I'm delusional.

Best,

Cobie

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here's hte first post:

Just finished 2 days at Laguna. We got wet part of the time, dry part of the time, but it was still fun, students were overall quite impressed at what they could learn, and do in different conditions. We got some great dry sessions in, which is usually the case even if it rains a bit. I think the brothers that flew in from Italy just for the school might have been the most enthusiastic, great guys.

The coaches had their own entertainment, as the students were on better rain tires, the Dunlop Qualifiers. The coaches were on used DOT race tires, or cut slicks. Not really made for wet days.

I had one student that was riding so well, by the end of the 2nd day, it was all I could do to hang with him on those darn Qualifiers, and other coaches that had similar problems.

We've got almost 2 weeks before the next schools at Inifeon, a favorite among many. Kevin Kane was with us at Laguna, and will be at Infineon too, maybe he'll chime in on how it went.

Over for now.

CF

Sounds like some fun times. I can't wait for Infineon with everyone. This past weekend must have been the half wet half dry weekend because my trackdays at Roebling Road were the same way. By the way Cobie, I like the idea of this post, always fun to hear about events going on.

Here's hte first post:

Just finished 2 days at Laguna. We got wet part of the time, dry part of the time, but it was still fun, students were overall quite impressed at what they could learn, and do in different conditions. We got some great dry sessions in, which is usually the case even if it rains a bit. I think the brothers that flew in from Italy just for the school might have been the most enthusiastic, great guys.

The coaches had their own entertainment, as the students were on better rain tires, the Dunlop Qualifiers. The coaches were on used DOT race tires, or cut slicks. Not really made for wet days.

I had one student that was riding so well, by the end of the 2nd day, it was all I could do to hang with him on those darn Qualifiers, and other coaches that had similar problems.

We've got almost 2 weeks before the next schools at Inifeon, a favorite among many. Kevin Kane was with us at Laguna, and will be at Infineon too, maybe he'll chime in on how it went.

Over for now.

CF

Cobie;

Laguna was amazing and for all of you who say "I never ride in the rain" I strongly encourage you try it; especially if you sign up for School and it rains. As one who has parked his bike at previous schools when it rained, this time I said not today; today I am going out there.

Day one it rained all morning so we all had to find our traction limits as we worked on our drills. It was a perfect laboratory for fine tuning throttle control as it was pretty common to find the rear end stepping out lap after lap. The advantages of learning/practicing the quick turn, the pick up drill, the hook turn, the hip flick not to mention the visual drills in the rain required intense concentration such that that these skills became ingrained in a way I hadn't experienced before. Once we were permitted to use our brakes, we could find the limits with them as well so it was all good. I think it was the first session after lunch that found exiting T10 heading toward 11 we were riding underneath a spectacular rainbow. Wait a minute...to have a rainbow you need the sun don't you? ...the sun is coming out?

Well the sun did come out and with a rapidly drying track and our carefully developed new skills in hand, the pace started to ramp up.

By the next session it was totally dry and Ka-POW! The track was rockin'!

Day two was exactly reversed; we had a dry morning where we honed our day 1 skills while integrating our new drills on a dry track before the sky opened up and we all needed to adjust back to the basics...good throttle control again took center stage. We now could adapt our total training into wet condidions but with more confidence and the rain pace of the Day 2 was pretty impressive. What an awesome two day learning experience.

It has been a number of years since I have attended a two-day camp and I had forgotten that it is a real unique format for the School to display all that it can do for a rider. With a two to one student/coach ratio, we got a lot of attention, a lot of coaching and an incredible amount of track time - even with the rain. During dry sessions the off track training was constant and even in the rain; the brake bike got a good workout. Keith, the coaches, Will and the entire team was accessible all day because the reduced number of students in a two day camp allowed them the flexibility to be available more so than a conventional School.

I am still stoked…

Kevin

Here's hte first post:

Over for now.

CF

Cobie;

Laguna was amazing and for all of you who say "I never ride in the rain" I strongly encourage you try it; especially if you sign up for School and it rains. As one who has parked his bike at previous schools when it rained, this time I said not today; today I am going out there.

Day one it rained all morning so we all had to find our traction limits as we worked on our drills. It was a perfect laboratory for fine tuning throttle control as it was pretty common to find the rear end stepping out lap after lap. The advantages of learning/practicing the quick turn, the pick up drill, the hook turn, the hip flick not to mention the visual drills in the rain required intense concentration such that that these skills became ingrained in a way I hadn't experienced before. Once we were permitted to use our brakes, we could find the limits with them as well so it was all good. I think it was the first session after lunch that found exiting T10 heading toward 11 we were riding underneath a spectacular rainbow. Wait a minute...to have a rainbow you need the sun don't you? ...the sun is coming out?

Well the sun did come out and with a rapidly drying track and our carefully developed new skills in hand, the pace started to ramp up.

Day two was exactly reversed; we had a dry morning where we honed our day 1 skills while integrating our new drills on a dry track before the sky opened up and we all needed to adjust back to the basics...good throttle control again took center stage. We now could adapt our total training into wet condidions but with more confidence and the rain pace of the Day 2 was pretty impressive. What an awesome two day learning experience.

It has been a number of years since I have attended a two-day camp and I had forgotten that it is a real unique format for the School to display all that it can do for a rider. With a two to one student/coach ratio, we got a lot of attention, a lot of coaching and an incredible amount of track time - even with the rain. During dry sessions the off track training was constant and even in the rain; the brake bike got a good workout. Keith, the coaches, Will and the entire team was accessible all day because the reduced number of students in a two day camp allowed them the flexibility to be available more so than a conventional School.

I am still stoked…

Kevin

Sounds like a great two days you had Kevin! What a perfect way to begin the riding season, I like days that begin wet and dry out throughout the day, it kind of forces you to use good technique over speed then when the track dries out you add the speed with confidence, I have had some of my best days in these kind of conditions!

• 2 weeks later...

OK, as promised, here's an update: we are busy packing up today, and getting ready to head to Sears early Sunday. Unload Sunday evening, then at the track first thing on Monday, 6:30 for staff (7pm for students).

Weather looks good!

Also looks like we have a small gang going to dinner on Monday night, should be fun.

Best,

Cobie

• 2 weeks later...

One of the guys I met at the track said he liked this thread, I'll take that as keep it up.

Got back from Vegas with the worst traffic I'd seen so far: March Madness and Spring break were the reasons I heard. EVERYONE and their friends were on I-15. Vegas turned out really well, weather threatened once, but skirted on buy, had 2 excellent days.

Off to Streets of Willow for 6 days (yes, 6). It's just about enough for the really hard core, to get their share of riding and motorcycles.

See some of you there!

Best,

Cobie

• 2 weeks later...
great thread. Please keep it up. Thanks!

I only need a little encouragement :)

Back from 6 days at Streets of Willow, and in a word--excellent. Good schools, fun track to ride, with typically excellent weather. The last 6 days were no disappointment on that. Started with a 2-day camp, ended with our Spring CODERACE.

If one looked closely, even Keith got out and got some riding in!

Laguna Seca is next, but that is being covered in another thread :rolleyes:

One question we get is "What is your favorite track?" While that could lead into a long answer (maybe another thread?), some of the pluses with the Streets are:

1. Lots of turns per mile, not much in the way of straights (we aren't a drag racing school).

2. A bit of everything, slow, medium, fast, banked, one turn leading into another, a turn with a straight after it, cresting turns, etc..

3. Terrific weather: pretty darn rare to get rain there, and if you don't run middle of the summer, just about guaranteed a good day.

4. Great skid pad, about the best. For the Lean Bike and Slide Bike, doesn't get better.

5. Fantastic and vast variety of dining---oops, I'm thinking of somewhere else. :rolleyes:

6. It's close: well, for those that have to fly in, Burbank Airport is an easy hour and 10 min from the track.

On to Laguna!

Best,

C

I do have to say I look forward to hitting the Streets of Willow and doing a Code Race School as well. Sounds like it was a blast yet exhausting all in one, like most good times. lol

Monday, April 13, and we are off to Laguna. Weather should be good. Back in town late Wednesday, then one day in the office and off to Vegas (no, not to party, got a school). Both are about the same distance from LA, Laguna a hair longer, takes 5 hours driving time each way.

See some of you there!

Rather than post a new thread each time we go in or out of town, or do something new, I figured to start one that will keep any that are interested up on what we are doing. Let me know if you are interested in this, or if I'm delusional.

Best,

Cobie

Cobie... I like the idea of this thread... have you considered an account on Twitter for the SuperBike School? It'd be a cool way to broadcast schedules, post announcements (articles posted by staff), and of course the types of posts you're making right here in this thread. I suspect you'd gather quite a following with that... so something to consider.

I'm looking forward to seeing you again in May at VIR (level 3)...

Take care,

Don

Cobie... I like the idea of this thread... have you considered an account on Twitter for the SuperBike School? It'd be a cool way to broadcast schedules, post announcements (articles posted by staff), and of course the types of posts you're making right here in this thread. I suspect you'd gather quite a following with that... so something to consider.

I'm looking forward to seeing you again in May at VIR (level 3)...

Take care,

Don

Don--thanks, I hadn't looked at Twitter yet, but I will.

CF

The saga continues....

Back from 2 days at Laguna Seca. Pretty darn windy on the first day. Talked to the locals, said it was about as windy as they could ever recall it being. 2nd day was better, less windy, both days were clear and blue, and crisp.

Interesting that the tires really cool down with a cool breeze, something to remember if one pulls over for even a few moments.

The students seemed very enthusiastic, and overall had a great day. Fossil and his gang looked to be having a blast, though one of those boys was riding with stiches in one hand (didn't seem to wipe the grin off his face).

A bit of work for the boys in the shop today, Will was pretty busy getting all ready for Vegas, as we leave--tomorrow! Yikes, I better go home and see my family for 10 minutes. My son just got accepted to a music school (he had to audtion to get in), he was pretty happy about that.

For the lucky ones that were at the school, there was a 3-time world champ there visiting.

On to Vegas!

• 3 weeks later...

Cinco de Mayo,

We are getting ready for the East Coast Spring/early summer trip. Some minor upgrades in the student trailer being done, prepping for being on the road for 4 weeks.

Will is fabricating a platform for the newest CSS toy. Keith hasn't announced it yet, so can't spill the beans, but looks COOL! Also work continuing on the Tiwst 2 DVD, that is getting closer.

The trucks will leave early Thursday, this trip will have us doing Thunderbolt, VIR and Barber, all great tracks, really look forward to riding each one. Each track really has its own flavor. VIR makes you work on your precision, as errors there in technique are very apparent--one of the reasons we like it.

I'll have less access on the road, but will attempt to get up here as much as possible. Anyone has any need to get a question to me, I've got a b/berry, so get e-mail all the time: cobie@superbikeschool.com. The answers might be short, but I'll answer!

Cobie

Cobie;

I am still stoked…

Kevin

Kevin,

It was great to work with you during part of the Two-Day Camp at Laguna--that track sure is different in the wet than in the dry! Great job choosing to ride rather than sit it out. It certainly does make for a learning experience that we in California don't get quite as often as our friends in the UK. I think it rains there more than the sun shines!

Kristi

It was great to work with you during part of the Two-Day Camp at Laguna--that track sure is different in the wet than in the dry! Great job choosing to ride rather than sit it out. It certainly does make for a learning experience that we in California don't get quite as often as our friends in the UK. I think it rains there more than the sun shines!

Kristi

Kristi;

Thanks; I really enjoyed working with you as well. You did a great job as both my track coach on Day 2 and with the lean/slide bike in the paddock. I really appreciated the "racer" orientation you added to the track critiques at the end of each session.

Hey are you making the trip east? I switch from being a student to a Corner Worker when the "Circus" rolls into town so I will see everybody at NJMP next week.

So as to avoid getting into trouble here, my Circus reference goes back to my first School back in 2001. I remember saying to Cobie at lunch that the School seems to be like a Circus in that it rolls into a local track and sets up a big tent (well a few semi's but you get my meaning) and everyone comes out - has a blast and then you guys pack up and head off down the road. What has been impressive over the years is that it does not matter where the School locates - the experience is always positive and almost universally consistent.

I've been to Schools at VIR, Loudon, Mid-Ohio, Infineon, Laguna, The Streets of Willow Springs, Pocono and Watkins Glen and the venue doesn't seem to matter. As a businessman, that is a very impressive spectacle to see and experience.

Rainman

Cinco de Mayo,

We are getting ready for the East Coast Spring/early summer trip. Some minor upgrades in the student trailer being done, prepping for being on the road for 4 weeks.

Will is fabricating a platform for the newest CSS toy. Keith hasn't announced it yet, so can't spill the beans, but looks COOL! Also work continuing on the Tiwst 2 DVD, that is getting closer.

The trucks will leave early Thursday, this trip will have us doing Thunderbolt, VIR and Barber, all great tracks, really look forward to riding each one. Each track really has its own flavor. VIR makes you work on your precision, as errors there in technique are very apparent--one of the reasons we like it.

I'll have less access on the road, but will attempt to get up here as much as possible. Anyone has any need to get a question to me, I've got a b/berry, so get e-mail all the time: cobie@superbikeschool.com. The answers might be short, but I'll answer!

Cobie

Awwwww....mang. I wish I could work my schedule to come do Lvl3 on the East Coast. Maybe I'll take another look.

Hi All,

Very short note: we've just finished 5 days at Thunderbolt in NJ (great fun, nice track, good weather), and are now at VIR. Hotel doesn't have internet access (lame!), so not able to get on line and on the forum :(.

VIR weather is great so far and supposed to be excellent all of our days here. One of our favorite tracks, excellent for training and riding in general :).

We are here 4 days, then on to some private schools, not sure I'll have much interenet access, so if anyone needs to reach me/us, please e-mail directly, I'll get it on my b/berry (cobie@superbikeschool.com).

Look forward to getting back up here!

Best,

Cobie

• 2 weeks later...

A few days in between Superbike Schools, Barber is our next racetrack stop. So far on this trip we have had perfect weather. Little bit of rain 1 day at Thunderbolt, but that ended up well.

Barber is next, and a place one should experience, at least once. Facility is terrific, that's pretty well known. The museum, the sculpture, also need to be seen by any serious enthusiast, just something else.

The track though, that's the real reason. Significant elevations changes, most all of it with a positive camber (banking). Track is in excellent condition, and wide, which is a little more forgiving. You East and Southeast riders really do have it good out here, most of my favorite tracks are on the eastern half of the country. Turn 1-2, the Museum turn (aka, Alabama Rollercoaster), and the turns coming onto the front straight, whoohoo!

A minor side note, but one we look forward to--the food. Just about every night in Birmingham, we go to Jim and Nicks. Fantastic barbecue, wow! Pretty much a guarantee to see Keith in there every night.

Hope we see you there!

Best,

Cobie

• 2 weeks later...

Back in town for a few days from the East Coast, and finished possibly one of the best road trips ever. Weather cooperated with us all the way. Even the last day at Barber, that was supposed to get warm, turned out nicely. We think Barber has gotten even grippier than before, and the 4 days there went very well.

You guys on the East Coast have it good with a number of really great tracks, certainly some of my favorites

Off to Streets this coming weekend, weather looks perfect, high 70's low 80's, dry.

Nice to be back in town a few days, get to know my wife and kids again :).

See a few of you this weekend, and Mon/Tues.

Best,

Cobie

Back in town for a few days from the East Coast, and finished possibly one of the best road trips ever. Weather cooperated with us all the way. Even the last day at Barber, that was supposed to get warm, turned out nicely. We think Barber has gotten even grippier than before, and the 4 days there went very well.

You guys on the East Coast have it good with a number of really great tracks, certainly some of my favorites

Off to Streets this coming weekend, weather looks perfect, high 70's low 80's, dry.

Nice to be back in town a few days, get to know my wife and kids again :).

See a few of you this weekend, and Mon/Tues.

Best,

Cobie

• 3 weeks later...

Since I don't spend much time on myspace or facebook (none to be exact), here's the latest:

Great 4 days at the Streets, weather cooperated nicely there too. The track just never really gets boring, so much going on there to work on--it's relentless if you try and add some speed, all the skills have to come up.

Getting ready for Miller in a few days, then when we get back, straight to the GP at Laguna. Hope Nicky gets inspired.

Best,

CF