Where We Are, And What We Are Doing

Back from the GP. First time I had been able to go in a few years, really enjoyed it. A bit of jackass traffic routing when we were leaving, but honestly traffic wasn't bad the whole 3 days.

Wonder if the crowd would have been bigger yet if it was not on the 4th of July, big holiday for lots.

Thought Rossi waited too long behind Stoner before going after Pedrosa, but maybe he's just not sweating it since Pedrosa is not really in the championship hunt--last lap though, came close.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Trucks roll tomorow to begin our eastern tour, 6 weeks. Later in August we end up at one of my favorite tracks, Mid-Ohio. Nice elevation changes, track was recently repaved, and the turns are mostly medium speed. Turn 1 is fast, the kink isn't really a turn, and you can let it rip down the back straight, yahoo!

Plus the fireflies at night, pretty cool, we don't have them on the West Coast-except maybe Disneyland.

NJMP will be earlier, that's a nice track, then finish up at VIR in early Sept--another nice track. You guys on the east coast have it good!

CF

• 2 months later...

Well, haven't updated this thing in a while, guess a lot of people do the Twits or Tweets or whatever it is, and have their 300,000 friends, blah, blah.

I'm sure I'd love all stuff (Myspace, Yourspace, Facebook, Face-plant-that's for the skiers-Twitter, Smitter, etc.) if I ever made it there!

OK, just back from 4 days at the Streets. A little warm, but I'll take it dry and warm, rather than muggy and warm. No wind, beautiful, and there is one really nice thing with warm days: the tires are at temp right away. I watched one of the guys in front of me drag his knee on the first lap! Normally need at least 1 to get the tires warm enough.

We have some newer coaches and one is actually a returning coach, Matt Boyd. He was off for a few years, but we got him back and doing well, cut him loose this week.

We started training with our latest edition to the team, Brian Gannon, he's moving along nicely with his training, got good complements on him from a student.

Twist 2 DVD is super close, ready to ship in 2 weeks, yahoo! (another thread with more on this in the News section).

More to come.

CF

Sept 30 '09:

Just back from a week out of the office and away from my computer, an unexpected family vacation. KC has been working on getting the new DVD out, already posted on that in another thread (DVD has it's own site). I haven't been heavily involved in that, man, what a project!

Gearing up for a bunch of fall schools, often my favorite time of year, and best weather too. Riding in the fall on the West Coast, usually a nice time to be on a bike.

Looking at some updates to the forum: combining Racing and Racing Circuits, and then separating or making some sub sections for equipment. Rider equipment would have all the riding gear: boots, helmets, gloves, back proectors, etc. Bike equipment would have bikes, tires, tire warmers, stands, suspension, etc. A few people have already sounded off, you lurkers please chime in too, like to hear what you think even if it's confirming what's there.

Pete (deputy chief riding coach) is working on coming up with nicknames for the coaches. The Brits and Aussies do this, new for the Americans: Lonnie is "Dawg", James Toohey is "Hammer" as an example. Still settling on a few (I don't have one yet--Pete insists the person can't name himself). Maybe we should start a thread and get you guys to chime in with some nicknames!

That's it for now!

Best,

Cobie

This is the first time I've seen this thread, very cool, as I often wonder where the school is at and what everybody's doing.

I actually really like the layout of the forum as it is, but I would definitely like to see a "tires" section (which you mentioned in another post), and I also had thought about starting a nickname thread but I wasn't sure if the coaches would appreciate it, hahaha!

This is the first time I've seen this thread, very cool, as I often wonder where the school is at and what everybody's doing.

I actually really like the layout of the forum as it is, but I would definitely like to see a "tires" section (which you mentioned in another post), and I also had thought about starting a nickname thread but I wasn't sure if the coaches would appreciate it, hahaha!

Go for it on the nickname thread, that might actually get Pete up on the forum (I work him too hard to get up here :).

Here are some of the names:

James Toohey: Hammer

Lonnie Etter: Dawg

Kristi M.: Hot Laps

Pete: Wipes

I don't know that all of these will stick, we are trying them on, but another thread, get your "suggestions" sound good to me!

CF

Go for it on the nickname thread, that might actually get Pete up on the forum (I work him too hard to get up here :).

I don't know that all of these will stick, we are trying them on, but another thread, get your "suggestions" sound good to me!

CF

OK, where's the nickname thread? I'm suggesting "Shades" for Dylan, cuz he always seems to have to funky sunglasses. :)

Go for it on the nickname thread, that might actually get Pete up on the forum (I work him too hard to get up here :) .

CF

OK, where's the nickname thread? I'm suggesting "Shades" for Dylan, cuz he always seems to have to funky sunglasses. :)

The UK coaches names are way funnier than the US ones, and cooler too..... ! :lol:

Hollywood - coz he's always the one on the telly!

JET - coz it's actually just his initals, (cool bastard)

The Magnet, aka Westlife - Animal magnetism with the ladies...well, he says

Nemo - coz he's a naive as a the aforementioned little fish

Squirrel - he has red bushy hair like a squirrel

Badger - he's got a white eyebrow

Walrus - Snores like one

Flash - like the cartoon character

Spidey - He's actually a cool bodywork painter, and painted a Melandri rep on his RSV

Bullet - Actually because I shave my head and I've got a pointy head (and you all thought it was coz I was quick)..

Lord R - Coz he never gets his hands dirty, aka he's always Lording it up

Gloom - He's our mechanic, and if you met him, you'd see why, (miserable bastard).. :lol:

Bullet

p.s for those of you that know the UK staff, you'll know that they all don't have a nickname, so perhaps we can start a thread for interesting ideas if any of you have them.. ;)

Hey Guys,

Just wondering how it went at Laguna? I hope it went well for everyone.

Cheers,

Sof

Downpour on the drive up, and again for some that were commuting to Laguna that morning--then that day it was perfect!!

Started out wet, but not raining, and then never did all day long, we had a very good day. Some mud on the track, that dried up and turned into dust, but other than that, the weather was very good, warmer than I expected for sure.

CF

Mikey Pesicaka just went to the UK school, and got back from South Africa--we need to get him up here and let us know how that went. I know he did some fun pistol shooting, wonder if he has new hobby?

CF

Mikey Pesicaka just went to the UK school, and got back from South Africa--we need to get him up here and let us know how that went. I know he did some fun pistol shooting, wonder if he has new hobby?

CF

If any CSS coaches want to go shootin' I'm a dyed in the wool redneck and I'd be happy to take ya'll. Plenty o' guns to go around.

If any CSS coaches want to go shootin' I'm a dyed in the wool redneck and I'd be happy to take ya'll. Plenty o' guns to go around.

A few of us are going to do an IDPA match tomorrow.

CF

CF

Well I'm a little late on the reply here, but that sounds awesome! Where at? I've been wanting to do one for a while, maybe I'll go next time and try my hand at competition!

CF

Well I'm a little late on the reply here, but that sounds awesome! Where at? I've been wanting to do one for a while, maybe I'll go next time and try my hand at competition!

They do a number of them in SoCal. PM or e-mail me and I'll let you know.

We did a match on Saturday, it was good. Josh shot very well, and it was his first time.

CF

• 1 month later...

Well, since I don't Twitter yet (barely made it to Facebook, and just skipped Myspace altogether), here's the latest.

Finished a great day at Laguna, first day of the 2-day camp, weahter was postcard stuff. Then had a day off and went and ate all I could at a good Thanksgiving feast. Then I went back for seconds. Then dessert. All the self control of an 18 year old at a brothel.

2nd day was a little cool and wet at times. Didn't rain hard, but did a few times. I spent the day in the paddock running guys on the brake rig. If you guys have never been on that, should do it. There is more technique to braking than many think, it's not just how large your huevos are.

Now that I think of it, we are going to have a new brake bike for 2010, and it will be German :)

CF

• 2 weeks later...

We are getting ready for the transition over to BMW. Lots of stuff has to change, with the trailers getting wrapped with the new sponsor (many trailers are done in vinyl these days) as one large project.

We are scheduled to get the new bikes in January, actually picking them up and brining them back from the dealer intro in Florida.

All new coach leathers is another project, we are in process on that right now.

The web page has been updated, but we need some more photos, that will happen soon :).

From the coaching side, there are the normal comings ang goings there, a coach's schedule will change, he can't do as many schools as the year before, or maybe he can do more, we juggle that every season. One nice thing is looks as if we will have a good amount of foriegn coaches into the school this year, that is the way it looks now, see how it turns up.

More soon.

Best,

Cobie

We are getting ready for the transition over to BMW. Lots of stuff has to change, with the trailers getting wrapped with the new sponsor (many trailers are done in vinyl these days) as one large project.

We are scheduled to get the new bikes in January, actually picking them up and brining them back from the dealer intro in Florida.

All new coach leathers is another project, we are in process on that right now.

The web page has been updated, but we need some more photos, that will happen soon :).

From the coaching side, there are the normal comings ang goings there, a coach's schedule will change, he can't do as many schools as the year before, or maybe he can do more, we juggle that every season. One nice thing is looks as if we will have a good amount of foriegn coaches into the school this year, that is the way it looks now, see how it turns up.

More soon.

Best,

Cobie

OK, I'm curious.... how come your avatar photo is in black and white now? You are starting to look a little... out of date!

OK, I'm curious.... how come your avatar photo is in black and white now? You are starting to look a little... out of date!

New sponsor, maybe your's is allowed as it's blue!

CF

• 2 weeks later...

Had a great Christmas, basically went and hung out with my wife's family. My motto this year (the food was good) was to go and eat till I was full, then go back for 2nds.

We have the new coach leathers that are being worked on at the moment, should have them for the official dealer release of the bikes on Jan 27, in Florida. We'll be down there for that, looking forward to learning more about the bike, and getting some time with it on track--although, the day is for the dealers, not us, we'll just provide a bit of on-track help.

I've said this elsewhere, but the crew at BMW is such a pleasure to deal with, they have just been great in every way. 2 of them were in LA for the bike show, and made it to our end of the year party (pretty brave of them really), but it wasn't too rowdy :).

Coach interviews and scheduling will happen over the next month or 2, a few are in the works, but like to get a few more, so if you think you might have the right stuff, fill out the application on and send that over.

Really like the way our forum has evolved, that has to do with you guys that post on it, so please keep it up. It really has a good reputation as being friendly, and staying (more or less) on topic. About the only thing I'd like to see more of is less lurking and more participation, but that is a bit of a theme with me isn't it? :). I'm not much for hanging out on the sidelines!

Have a great new year, get on the forum and to the track!!

Very Best,

Cobie

New sponsor, maybe your's is allowed as it's blue!

Cobie and a few other coaches link directly to the main website for their avatars, when the photos there were changed to BW then the forum updated as well.

• 1 month later...

Hello All, been a busy week!

First we were off to the bike show in NYC--wow! Crowded and lots of enthusiasm, the new bike was the hit of the show. Keith, Whitney and I were there, basically talking with people for 3 days straight, it was great. Love NY, food is great and the people are alive.

Next we had a whole day off, whippee! Then down to West Palm Beach for the dealer release of the S1000rr.

Stayed in a nice hotel, and the following day 160+ dealer reps went to the track and we introduced them to the bike. The coaches rode for 28 track sessions, I was very glad to finish the day :). Perfect day postcard really.

But the bike, man, what a bike!!!! All my trepidations about putting riders that are used to 600's or smaller bikes just evaporated. The handling (w/out ANY adjust ments) was excellent, the brakes superb, the engine so linear and rideable, just fantastic.

Some specifics: we started everyone in the lowest of the 4 modes to begin, "rain" mode. Power comes on very nicely, gently, no surpises, and limited by lean angle too. Bike seemed pretty darn tame, but still had some steam if you let it get going.

Then, up to "sport" mode. Also a bit more shifing, and the shift assist works beautifully. Other speed/quick shifters that some of the coaches had used would really require hard acceleratioin to shift well--not this one, shifted beautifully at virtuallly any RPM or throttle position.

"Race" mode next, this was more fun for sure, and by then you were getting used to what the bike would do. But still not scary, very linear and really just very rideable--but lots and lots of steam, whahootieeeee!. Before this I was pretty much a 600 guy, but those days are gone due to this bike.

OK--I'm going to give you a biased opinion, they are our sponsor, but the bottom line is--the above is still all true :).

I'll get back up more this week, and continue with some more stuff I learned about the bike too.

Best,

Cobie

• 4 weeks later...

Feb 25, a few days away from our first schools, yahoo!

The trailers are almost done. New paint, complete new wrap with new logos, they look very sharp. Will and the boys have been working hammer and tongs getting the bikes ready--wow, what a bunch of work that has been. Camera bike, NO B/S bike, brake bike--all being converted over to the new bikes.

Looking forward to Laguna next week!

CF

• 1 month later...

April 5, back in the office.

Just finished 6 days at the Streets, a little cold the first day, the rest all good. It's official, the bikes are pretty darn cool, and our crash numbers are very, very low.

So much for fast bikes==more crashing.

CODERACE was very entertaining, Peter Lenz started from the back and still won. Lex Hartly has a 250 racetbike, but had mechanical issues on it, so had to resort to his 150 four stroke, no real match for the 125.

We have now got 3 different classes so riders will race with others of similar experience. Except Thomas Patch. Thomas came out, did well, runs '38's, did all 6 days in a row with us--and he is 68 years old.

All you guys (hereafter referred to as "whiners) that think you are too old, better re-think that one!

OK, that's as close as I can get to blog/facebook/tweeting/myspacing. :) Maybe this thread is too old and I should nuke it anyway.

Best,

CF