Staff Nicknames

• 4 months later...
  • Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Doesn't seem like the names have totally stuck, but in the same token, not totally vanished either. Pete introduced himself at the staff intro in the morning as the "other good looking blond". He's dreaming.

Jon get's referred to as "Gramps" now and again, pretty fun when he and Little Joe room together, about a 42 year difference in ages I think.

• 5 months later...

I have a hard time letting this thread die...just haven't been able to get a hard and fast set of rules in agreement, and then they need to be enforced.

• 1 month later...

We as Americans are too damn sensitive when it comes to nicknames, if they aren't cool then we don't want them.

You aren't supposed to want a nickname, you earn it and it sticks, the problem was that we were making suggestions and then the person we were suggesting them about chimed in about how much they didn't like it.

Won't ever work that way.

You think I liked t-shirt when I was first called it? Hell no, but the Brits didn't let it drop and I have learned

to appreciate it and write regularly with the Brits using that name as my signature.

Any ways, I was just passing through trying to clean up some spammers and I thought I would check in here to see if there was any change.

Cheers,

T-shirt

We as Americans are too damn sensitive when it comes to nicknames, if they aren't cool then we don't want them.

You aren't supposed to want a nickname, you earn it and it sticks, the problem was that we were making suggestions and then the person we were suggesting them about chimed in about how much they didn't like it.

Won't ever work that way.

You think I liked t-shirt when I was first called it? Hell no, but the Brits didn't let it drop and I have learned

to appreciate it and write regularly with the Brits using that name as my signature.

Any ways, I was just passing through trying to clean up some spammers and I thought I would check in here to see if there was any change.

Cheers,

T-shirt

FoRealz !! All the nicknames I've had were all earned, in one way or another ;)

• 2 weeks later...

I'm not going to tell you what Will used to call me. Haven't had a nickname that has stuck, so maybe one will materialize this year.

CF

Seriously, if we all were allowed to pick our own nicknames we'd all be known as:

Champ

The Boss

Ace

Maverick

Iceman

etc, etc,

its funny you say that, as my name is Neil 'ace champ maverick' McKean. honest. you couldnt make that stuff up.

We didn't give my son a middle name, and let him choose his own when he got older (7-8). "Iceman" it is.

CF

If we are going with the Top Gun theme would that make Cobie "Jester"? :o

If we are going with the Top Gun theme would that make Cobie "Jester"? :o

That's about the best one I have heard! Will wanted to call me Mr. McGoo, but that one didn't take.

Jester: "You never, never leave your wingman!"

• 3 weeks later...

This picked up a little steam over the weekend: Lyle is now being called "Fish". Good story, maybe I can get Jon up here as he seemed to be one of the ringleaders for this one. Didn't hurt that he had a bunch of Brits around to help with this.

CF

• 5 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

A few schools ago James high side one of the Razor scooters right in front of a pretty medic, got skinned up and she had to patch him up. Then he did it again!

Way to go SCOOOTER!

CF

PS--this name could pretty well stick.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I think there should be one for Lyle here--he exceeded the traction limit of his tires recently if you know what I mean, while braking. I'll ask the boys, see what they think...Pete, where are you?

I think there should be one for Lyle here--he exceeded the traction limit of his tires recently if you know what I mean, while braking. I'll ask the boys, see what they think...Pete, where are you?

Way too much ammo for Lyle. We actually started to call him Phish because of the beard and hat he wore to Las Vegas a while back. He looked like a guy from "The Deadliest Catch".

But it's dropped out a bit lately...he hasn't worn the hat. Maybe he'll bring it back this winter.

• 3 months later...

Trying to revive an old thread (there might be more nicknames on the way after the trip to India)

So ... why is Hotfoot called Hotfoot?

/Kai

Trying to revive an old thread (there might be more nicknames on the way after the trip to India)

/Kai

I'm not sure if this is well known outside the US, but there is an old prank called a "Hotfoot" where you would stick the end of a match in the edge of someone's shoe, and light it, with the idea that when it burned to the end it would sting their foot and make them jump. It has also evolved to mean "go fast" as in "you better hot-foot it on down to the store before they close!"

But Kai asked how I got that nickname, so here you go:

I was driving a retired NASCAR racecar at a race school. As I was getting up to speed and shifting to 4th gear I smelled a little bit of a burning smell. I didn't see any smoke or anything so I thought maybe it was just the clutch getting hot - but then as I came around Turn 2 onto the backstretch, a piece of insulation fell out from under the dash onto my feet and it was on FIRE. Yikes!

So I shut off the engine and as I reached the backstretch (coasting in neutral, at about 100mph) I pulled off onto the apron and stopped. That turned out to be a bad idea because as soon as I stopped the car filled up with acrid and choking smoke, and since I was on the backstretch I was not close to any emergency vehicles. It is surprisingly difficult to extricate yourself from a stock car without help; you have to take off the steering wheel, release the harness, unfasten the safety window, and then climb out through the window opening, all while wearing a HANS device (and a helmet) that prevents you from looking down or ducking your head. But I was highly motivated!

So I managed to get myself out and then I ran from the car because it was really burning by then (the windshield was melting!) and I was afraid it would explode. A thick column of black smoke was coming up from it, I learned later that my friends in the paddock, who were on the opposite side of the track and couldn't see anything BUT the smoke, were afraid I had crashed into the wall - especially when they saw the two fire trucks and the ambulance heading that way.

Anyway the fire trucks arrived a moment later, and eventually were able to get the fire out. Something in the fuel system had broken off and was squirting race fuel into the engine, which caused and sustained the fire. I rode back to the paddock in a fire truck and my friends and co-workers were relieved to see that I was ok; they all crowded around and asked me what happened. I told the story much as I have told it here (except that I was covered in black soot when I was telling it to them, which may have added to the ambiance) and someone jumped on that image of the flaming insulation falling on my feet, and started calling me Hotfoot. The name stuck, as nicknames will do. :)

I'm not sure if this is well known outside the US, but there is an old prank called a "Hotfoot" where you would stick the end of a match in the edge of someone's shoe, and light it, with the idea that when it burned to the end it would sting their foot and make them jump. It has also evolved to mean "go fast" as in "you better hot-foot it on down to the store before they close!"

Yeah, hotfoot is probably not well known outside the US - I guess it goes along with "riding shotgun" (I had to have it explained some years ago while visiting potential customers in south-eastern US).

Wow, quite a story - and much more than I expected - behind that nickname. I sure hope the windshield was made of plastic and not glass. Glass only melts at around 700 degrees C, which is seriously hot (1300F)!

And hey, you really get to do the fun things, eh :D

Kai

While in India, we did a few laps at the end of the last day all the coaches on the rental bikes, and one of the organizers. He binned it in the first lap (easy slide out), and fortunately didn't get run over by a few of the coaches. The name of the bike is Apache.

Can you guess his new nickname?

CF