Back Protector, Street Riding

Hey Stevo,

My thought is this, and becoause of my recent prang I'm going to be long winded. The road is full of 'unknowns' and you can end up on your arse at any time, whether it be from gravel, truck, car, train tracks etc etc, too many variables on the open road.

Now a track has one way traffic, lets hope, and run off, emergency service professionals on standby as well as enforced breaks ie 20 min sessions or 8-10 laps, clean roads. The majority if not all the variables/risks are known by staff or yourself. Hopefully a random truck doesnt pull out on the track as your giving it some around a corner.

Considering this you would think that most people would get all the safety gear for the unknown variables or risks ie the road, yeh? Its the opposite, I find people are quite happy to ride in shorts thongs (flip flops for you unAustralians) on the road for a quick trip down the shops, thats when most accidents happen, a couple of kilometres from home. To me thats crazy, and if I hadnt been wearing my full leathers and back protector on the road 2 weeks ago then I probably would still be in hospital getting massive skingrafts.

Why be any unsafer off the track? Just wear your 1 piece, 2 mins extra time to get ready, use a backpack or gear sack for your spare stuff. Buy a back protector for about a hundred bucks and if your unlucky enough to come off at least you'll have something to protect you a bit more.

Well thats my two cents worth

I find people are quite happy to ride in shorts thongs (flip flops for you unAustralians)

Thanks for the explanation here ozfireblade, I saw thongs and it fired up a load of horrible mental images, unless of course you were meaning the biker girls ride around in thongs!

Really though why not wear all the protective equipment you can on the road, if your getting a back protector do what you would do when buying a helmet! Try a few on until you find one that you like and is comfortable as there are loads of different styles out there.

I am looking for one myself at the moment as I have just signed up for 3 trackdays in Spain early next year and the organiser for this particular event has stated that back protectors are mandatory, I've always intended buying one but since they have never been mandatory before I've always spent my money on other things, but when I get it, it will become part of my kit that I wear on the road too.

When you think of it you spend a fair chunk of money protecting your head so why not your back, imagine how much a back injury could affect your life, then think should I, should I not wear a back protector.

I would be interested to hear if there are particular back protectors that people recommend, I like the look of the knox and dainese style that can only bend the one way in line with your spine!

Bobby

Well if your talking about scottish biker chicks in thongs you'll need to make sure its in summer, (my family is from Paisely), bit chilly during winter. :D

Check out the latest combined neck and back protection that inflates on impact, Lorenzo's dainese racesuit after his prang at Phillip island this year. Fantastic piece of kit!! There is also alot of other companies coming out with similar type ideas, Dainese has put tonnes of money into this and I think the trialing another version

Just chiming in.....

It just drives me mad to see blokes on sportsbikes in short tshirt or singlet, with runners on or even thongs (flip flops for the seppos). They ought to take a visit to the burns unit and check out what gravel rash looks like after 4 weeks of agony. Might make the old "its too hot" or "uncomfortable" excuse seem pretty weak.

I just laugh at the fresh crop of scooter riders who think they are bulletproof too. Do they really think that 6 inch rims are going to be that stable through a pothole, and if you can't get away from traffic, you're probably going to get caught under it sooner or later.

It's lucky that Harley riders are so tough, they won't cry when the skin is peeling off.

Back Protectors are compulsory. You don't wear protection for when things are going well, it's for that time when you don't have time to think and the laws of physics take over.

that's my 2 cents worth

db

Haven't spent much time on the street lately :(.

Didn't wear one before, but might have to re-think that. The protectors a few of us are using are so comfortable too (Force).

CF

They ought to take a visit to the burns unit and check out what gravel rash looks like

There used to be a ride2die.com website (it's something else now but if you google it and look at google's cached version, it works) that had photos of what happens in accidents. Lots of nasty rashes for starters and it gets worse as you go down the page.

I always have good protection when I ride but the back protector that comes in jackets isn't much. The only issue with using my track suit for road riding it it's a one piece so it's a bit of a hassle stopping for lunch etc. But I have leather pants (no knee pucks) that zip to the coat (also leather) so it's almost the same as my track gear. The back protector in my 1-pc snaps in at the top and the snap often pops loose when wiggling into the suit so it's a bit of a pain, which is what got me to thinking about getting a vest type for the track which would then also be easily usable for the street. Looking at the Knox Aegis- anybody have one?

I always have good protection when I ride but the back protector that comes in jackets isn't much. The only issue with using my track suit for road riding it it's a one piece so it's a bit of a hassle stopping for lunch etc. But I have leather pants (no knee pucks) that zip to the coat (also leather) so it's almost the same as my track gear. The back protector in my 1-pc snaps in at the top and the snap often pops loose when wiggling into the suit so it's a bit of a pain, which is what got me to thinking about getting a vest type for the track which would then also be easily usable for the street. Looking at the Knox Aegis- anybody have one?

Stevo;

My Dainese one piece suit has a removable back protector that I use when I street ride. I use it with my two piece leather suit because I subscribe to the A.T.G.A.T.T: principle. All The Gear, All The Time. The idea of thinking "if only I was wearing my..." when you find yourself in a street ride get-off just doesn't make sense to me anymore.

By all means I would recommend you getting a back protector that you can wear when you street ride; besides, there is no downside to wearing one that I can think of...

Rainman

I like that Kevin,

The A.T.G.A.T.T: principle, definitely the way forward, for the riders that think they dont push hard enough on the road to warrant wearing full protective clothing. In 2002 I had a 60-70 mph crash into a wall, I was mid corner on my 1994 Yamaha Diversion when I got a front tyre blow out! The protective clothing that saved me that day was my boots or to be precise my right boot, What happened was I was cornering to the left on a nice sweeping bend somewhere in the Scottish-English borders, when my front tyre blew I lost control of the bike and veered right across the road, bounced up onto the grass and hit the wall side on, destroying the plastic, the footpeg, the end can, and the ligiments and tendon's in my foot! There is no doubt that my foot was saved by the boots I was wearing, I still have a slight limp now because of that crash!

I know this is a little of the topic of back protector's, but it's just an example of how your control of your bike can be taken away when you least expect it and your protective clothing becomes more necessary than you ever thought!

Bobby

Well if your talking about scottish biker chicks in thongs you'll need to make sure its in summer, (my family is from Paisely), bit chilly during winter. :D

The town where I originally come from is about 20 mins drive from Paislely on the west coast, and you are right, it's really cold here just now, roads have been salted, so if you do go out a bike ride you have to wash all the salt and ###### off or else your bike will turn into a pile of rust!

Bobby

• 4 weeks later...

Just as a follow-up to the original discussions, I did get a separate back protector (Knox Aegis) I can use with jackets for street riding as well as my 1pc suit for the track. One thing to note is that it takes up a little more room in the jacket; fortunately I had extra room so it works out just right. But from this I learned that I would add to my list of advice for new riders choosing gear, to make sure you factor in protection gear when selecting jackets or a suit, especially if you're getting a custom suit made.

Just as a follow-up to the original discussions, I did get a separate back protector (Knox Aegis) I can use with jackets for street riding as well as my 1pc suit for the track. One thing to note is that it takes up a little more room in the jacket; fortunately I had extra room so it works out just right. But from this I learned that I would add to my list of advice for new riders choosing gear, to make sure you factor in protection gear when selecting jackets or a suit, especially if you're getting a custom suit made.

Yeah, we just had to re-measure for our new suits, did it with the back protector on. That Force Armour protector is so comfortable, can wear it all day.

CF

I brought my back protector to the school and used it, but I honestly don't remember anyone else using one. I didn't pay attention to the instructors, admittedly.

Jason;

I always wear mine; on the track, in a School or on the street. - ATGATT!

Rainman

I brought my back protector to the school and used it, but I honestly don't remember anyone else using one. I didn't pay attention to the instructors, admittedly.

I always wear mine; on the track, in a School or on the street. - ATGATT!

I totally agree to the ATGATT philosophy. When I started using a backprotector some 12 years ago, using one was rare among street riders - now it's like "are you stupid or sumthin'?" if you don't wear it on the street.

I have a friend still living because he purchased AND used his back protector - let's just say that in the battle between your back and Norwegian granite (as in 'mountain'), it's the granite that wins every time.

The Danish car racer Jason Watt crashed his ZX-9R bike ten years ago during a mag photoshoot, while doing a wheelie - unfortunately he slid his back into a curb leaving him paralyzed from the chest down. He has continued to successfully race specially modified cars. We don't know for sure (we can't go and reenact the accident), but it is highly likely that we wouldn't have been paralyzed, if he had used a back protector at the time.

Kai

I totally agree to the ATGATT philosophy. When I started using a backprotector some 12 years ago, using one was rare among street riders - now it's like "are you stupid or sumthin'?" if you don't wear it on the street.

I'm glad to hear ATGATT has taken hold in your circles, and I subscribe to it, but I have to say with my friends that ride it hasn't, it's more like STGATT (Some of The Gear All The Time), where boots, pants, and back protectors are left out, but usually helmet, gloves and jacket (textile) are commonly used.

I'd be curious to know what forum members feel just what "all" the gear is, and what your riding friends do.

I'll go first and list what I do:

1. track: 1pc suit, back protector, race boots, gauntlet gloves, helmet

2. riding twisty roads: jacket, pants (both leather,zipped), race boots, gauntlet gloves, helmet

3. commuting (5 turns from driveway to parking lot, but 29 mi): jacket, icon leg armor under work pants, over-ankle boots, gauntlet gloves, helmet.

(I always wear ear plugs too, and now I can add back protector to 2nd and 3rd items)

Track is one or two piece back protector etc Road is one or two piece back protector etc..

as ive seen a few prangs with people not wearing atgatt im pretty repetative reminding mates to wear the right gear.

yeah, saved me from some nasty stuff, in the dirt too.

CF

Just bought one of these alpinestars vests!

http://www.rocketclothing.co.uk/alpinestar.../prod_1500.html

haven't tried it out yet because its snowing here, but feels like a comfy fit off the bike anyway!

Bobby

I've been thinking about getting this vest, since it's got both chest and back protection (+ extra padding in the shoulder) and it's designed for the street. What do you guys think?

Cobie, if I rent school's gear, does it come with back protector? the same one you use?

JT--we are supposed to be getting new gear (back protectors) for the students this year. Don't have them yet, so I'll know more soon, and what I'd be wearing.

That Icon vest looks good. Keith used to wear a back protector, and chest too when he raced (not this one, but another brand, don't think they are around any more).

Best,

CF