Video Camera For Filming Own Progress

Now I just gotta figure out how to mount the camera... Kai, how are you mounting yours?

I use a Panavise suction cup mount (you can see it halfway down the page http://vholdr.com/contourhd/accessories on the right side called "Windshield Mount"), either mounted on front fairing like this:

(snip)

The Panavise mount isn't as stable as I would like it to; from the videos, the mount arm appears to be shaking a bit as the entire video is shaken. Maybe I should go back to the "a bunch of duct tape" method that I used on my old miniDV cam :unsure:

/PS: if anyone has found a way to convert/scale videos down from full-HD to, say, 0.5x, please let me know through PM. I've tried umpteen ways with VLC without success, and the graphics system built-in to the motherboard of my computer is not fast enough to show the videos with dropping lots of frames :-(

Kai

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This solution is a lot more money ($999), which I got from Jeff at Optimum MotorSports. Lucky for me, he moved from Detroit to within 10 miles of my house, so I have on-site tech support :) We spend a whole lot of money on suspension, tires and other stuff, when real-time feedback would probably do a whole lot more to improve lap-times.

The SmartyCam has the advantage of overlaying data on the video, which can be very helpful. CSS uses the S1000RR which conveniently has CAN wires to link to the ECU in the tail of the bike (factory alarm connector). So pulling data from the ECU is a breeze.

SmartyCamsm.jpg

It's not cheap, but it's built like a tank. For about $1250, you would have a complete setup that reads ECU data and overlays it on the screen like this:

el_monitor2_eng.jpgel_controller_eng.gif

Here is a video:

This solution is a lot more money ($999), which I got from Jeff at Optimum MotorSports. Lucky for me, he moved from Detroit to within 10 miles of my house, so I have on-site tech support :) We spend a whole lot of money on suspension, tires and other stuff, when real-time feedback would probably do a whole lot more to improve lap-times.

This is one of the best AIM products out there for sure.

Here's a video taken yesterday at Sturup Raceway. It's tight, twisty, bumpy in places, has weird tarmac changes in a couple of turns ... but, hey, it's the track closest to me and it's possible to ride there almost every Sunday :)

Let's see if I can figure out how to embed the video... whee - it worked!

(if you want the higher BW modes)

Shot using the "ActionHD" mode (720p@60fps).

Kai

I use the GO PRO Hero camera and face it back toward me. I can see when I am on the brakes, on the throttle, body position, brake markers etc etc. I have had no problems with mine. I thought for the money it was a good piece of gear...I mount it with the suction cup attachment and safety wire it just in case. I used it at Keith Code school Laguna Seca and at Barber twice with no issues.My link

This solution is a lot more money ($999), which I got from Jeff at Optimum MotorSports. Lucky for me, he moved from Detroit to within 10 miles of my

It's not cheap, but it's built like a tank. For about $1250, you would have a complete setup that reads ECU data and overlays it on the screen like this:

That's a cool system.... but I think I'd rather spend a grand on a suspension.

Here's a video taken yesterday at Sturup Raceway. It's tight, twisty, bumpy in places, has weird tarmac changes in a couple of turns ... but, hey, it's the track closest to me and it's possible to ride there almost every Sunday smile.gif

Let's see if I can figure out how to embed the video... whee - it worked!

[shot using the "ActionHD" mode (720p@60fps).

Kai

Kai -- that's a cool vid, man!! Looks like a fun track.

The Go-Pro has been just fine by me, I've just got the new HD one, but haven't had a chance to get it out on track yet.

As far as angles go, I have tried almost everything, and have found that the front, facing back at you is the best one to help figure out riding position and throttle control.

Here's link to one I put up on youtube: Rear Facing at Jennings FL

As already mentioned the go pro comes with heaps of mounting solutions, so this wasn't hard to do.

Cheers,

• 1 month later...

That's a cool system.... but I think I'd rather spend a grand on a suspension.

Why? The feedback you would get from a consistent and constant review of on-track performance would yield much faster times than buying a new Ohlins setup, IMO. If you don't have a coach watching your every move (they become your data logger) then you're essentially relying on your memory as to why you blew turn 3 on the 5th lap.

In the attached video, I would have passed a polygraph claiming I was off the brake in the final turn where I went down. Turns out I was trailing into the turn.

Why? The feedback you would get from a consistent and constant review of on-track performance would yield much faster times than buying a new Ohlins setup, IMO. If you don't have a coach watching your every move (they become your data logger) then you're essentially relying on your memory as to why you blew turn 3 on the 5th lap.

SF;

I'm not qualified to comment but I though that you were riding really well up until the 6:38 mark or so. BTW, I was watching the data and couldn't see how you could tell you were trailng the brakes in. How do you decipher that data from the screen if I may ask?

Rainman

SF;

I'm not qualified to comment but I though that you were riding really well up until the 6:38 mark or so. BTW, I was watching the data and couldn't see how you could tell you were trailng the brakes in. How do you decipher that data from the screen if I may ask?

Rainman

There are two boxes with numbers in them, just to the left of the blinking shift indicator. The upper one shows a positive number under acceleration and negative for deceleration (braking). In the turn it was showing a negative 0.1 which would indicate I was still on the brake. I plan on adding the actual brake light indicator, but BMW has made it difficult. The brake light assembly is driven by the ECU via a digital signal, not simple voltage.

The Go-Pro has been just fine by me, I've just got the new HD one, but haven't had a chance to get it out on track yet.

As far as angles go, I have tried almost everything, and have found that the front, facing back at you is the best one to help figure out riding position and throttle control.

As already mentioned the go pro comes with heaps of mounting solutions, so this wasn't hard to do.

Cheers,

Link doesn't work for me. I'm interested in seeing the video

Cheers,

Link doesn't work for me. I'm interested in seeing the video

There was a http// too much in that link. This should work better:

Cheers,

Kai

• 1 month later...

My two first movies uploaded. For some reason, the one I edited on movimaker that was reduced to just 4.5 Mb is clearer than the 86 Mb unedited version. Hopefully, I will learn more as I try out different things and the results will improve.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KEqf_QjVWh8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2K66iYoliEs

Strange how rapid things seems in real life compared to how lazy it looks on tape huh.gif Makes you appreciate just how maddeningly fast they ride around IoM cool.gif

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...

I'm curious if any one is familiar with the product this video (or any like it):

I've not looked into adding video to my equipment but the gyro does provide a cool visual (albeit not as useful as all the info on that SmaryCam).

I am in no way, shape or form affiliated with the product below, nor am I promoting or receiving any commercial gain from it.

Now that is out of the way, after looking long and hard at many different forms of on bike video recording, the most suitable for me would be the

DRIFT 170 HD Stealth.

It has a remote control, a built in screen, captures to SD cards(most important for editing, just drag & drop, no rendering like with tapes)

it is water resistant,big battery and doesn't make you look like a "Telly Tubby"

stealth.jpg

• 1 month later...