June Wsmc

Hi All

This was my first race back since dislocating my right arm and I was a little worried to say the least. In practice I was able to do a couple of high 23s but it was zinging my arm to do it. I was just hoping to get on the podium and salvage some points on this double point?s weekend.

My first race was 750 Superstock, the only DOT tire class I run. All through practice I had run slicks and it was very hot. This was race one and I didn?t consider the 30 degree temperature difference from the day before with my settings. I got off in fourth behind Kovaric, Keiffer, Eaton. I was having a hard time staying with them as the rear didn?t have the traction I needed to exploit my 636s advantage in the turns. It was without a doubt the most hectic race I have ever been in as Eaton pulled away leaving Kovaric, Keiffer and myself to figure a way past the back markers. The three of us came into turn eight on the fourth lap and into a group of five guys. It was the first time I have had to use the brakes going into eight. That maylay gave Adams a run up to me and he got by going into one. Now I was fifth and a podium was not looking likely. Kovaric was slowing and had been passed by both Keiffer and Adams and I had him in my sights. On the last lap I set him up taking a wide line into four and got him going down into five. No time left to try and get back up to third I finished fourth in the only multi bike 750 race battle I have been in since starting with the 636.

Second was 750 MP and having seen first hand how fast some of the 750s were I knew my only hope was to get to the front fast keep from getting a pack of them. My arm was sore and though I couldn?t ride the way I wanted to I knew I could ride without doing more damage to it. I got off in fourth and coming out of turn two I almost impaled Munoz who had seen the red flag when all I could see was Stearn and Eaton. On the four lap restart I got off in fourth and moved up to second behind Eaton and starting looking for his weak spot. On the start of the third lap I got by and put my head down not knowing how much he had in reserve. At the stripe I turned around and I didn?t see him on the straight. Boy was I happy, I had ridden well and put two fast laps in. My lap timer was dead so how fast I don?t know, but with 650 Superbike coming up it was just the boost in confidence I needed.

Next up was F-40 and with Watts back out on his 250 I was looking for a battle. Watts high sided in four on the warm up lap and stayed down, I think he was out for a few seconds at least. As I went by he raised his head, that was a relief after having a guy life flighted from the 750 MP race. I took the race as another practice for the 650 Superbike and never saw another rider after the green flag.

650 Superbike was the a race I was particularly worried about with Palazzo, Perez, Siglin in it there was a good chance I would be fourth. I forgot to put the tire warmers on the new tires before I went out for 750MP and with it being race six and 650 SB eight it was all I could do to get about five minutes of heat on them. It would have been zero if Tarl and Adam from Stoney Landers pit hadn?t come over to help. During the tire change was the first time I realized how hot it was as I was pouring sweat, I asked how hot it was and was told 100 degrees with the track temp at 140 degrees. I got a good start but going into one my reserved riding style really showed, as all three of them stuffed me. I kept up as well as I could but I could see right away they were going to leave me. On the second lap the red flag came out and they pulled us into the pit. Now with my tires warm and theirs cooling to the same I thought I had a chance. I got the same start as before but only Siglin and Perez got by. Going into two I was going to go around them on the outside and just as made the line change I saw Palazzo on the outside of me, I can?t believe I didn?t hit him. So with the three of them in front of me I saw that I could run the pace. I went to work on Siglin and knew I could pass him but I didn?t want to get into it with Palazzo and Perez so I waited until the last lap and got him going into three taking third. I put a good gap on him to the line, with the 20 to 30 MPH wind he was pushing wide in eight and my bike was glued to the track. I finished about a second back from the battle for first that was less than wheel to Palazzo.

With the day almost done and Palazzo in the F-2 I had reserved myself to finish second. I got off in the lead and lead for most of the first two laps when Palazzo came by on the outside going into nine. I was already going as fast I cared to and just let it go, finishing an uneventful second.

I was so happy to be able to ride with my arm still injured let alone do so well and with my kids and father there to see it. My dad went to Daytona in 1990 to watch me race the AMA CCS three hour but the motor blew before I had a chance to go out on it, so it was a big bonus for him to be able to see me race on Fathers day.

Will Eikenberry WSMC # 87 CCS Pacific # 63

Thanks to all who helped me, Keith Code and the California Superbike School, Kawasaki, Dunlop, Silkolene, AGV Sports, KBC Helmets, Lockhart Phillips, Sharkskinz, Elka Shocks, GP Suspension, Factory Pro Tuning, Graves Motorsports, Mackie's, L&L Motorsports, Pit Bull, Yin's TKD, Stompgrip.