Photos Of Ourselves...

• Replies 293
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guess I might as well show the ugly. :rolleyes:

Had my very first highside this weekend. I'm okay! Got a concussion and other booboos and frankly don't remember any of it! I was out for a couple minutes and someone caught me face down on the tarmac out cold with their camera passing by.

I can only guess what I did wrong. I was topping the bike out on the front staight all day. I've been pretty good abut braking and even blipping down a couple while braking setting up for the corner. I'm afraid I didn't scrub off enough speed (maybe brakes faded?) and tried to continue braking starting into the corner, it slid, then bit and threw me. Again nothing but a guess. I'm hopefully going to get to talk to the person(s) who saw it and learn a bit more on what I did wrong.

Sucks being that guy! :angry:

post-16883-0-27651300-1309667069_thumb.jpg

KTM;

So you pick your knee up before the rumble strip at the exit of Moss's too. ;)

Rain

yep... is that good or bad?... (it hurts if I don't...)

The depth of the "teeth" on that inside ruble strip suggested to me that I might not want to touch it with a knee slider...but that's just me.

Rain

• 4 weeks later...

This is a few weeks ago at Summit Point in West Virginia. I completed 4 lvls of California Superbike school last year and my progress has been astonishing. My lap times improve each time I ride. I look forward to the next time I can make it out to school. Thanks to the entire staff!!! Outstanding.

post-17330-0-62538200-1312221390_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...

Jason, what track is this? I like the S in the above pic!

It's Auto Club Speedway in Fontana, Ca. It's an incredible track. That's turn 13. I came closer to having a massive high-side there than anywhere else. That's why I'm riding so hesitantly in that pic. I'm riding Pirellia Supercorsa SP's. They're street tires, and I found their limits pretty quickly. No warning, no slippage. They just gave. I didn't know the difference in the track tires and SP's until AFTER I bought them and had them mounted.

It's Auto Club Speedway in Fontana, Ca. It's an incredible track. That's turn 13. I came closer to having a massive high-side there than anywhere else. That's why I'm riding so hesitantly in that pic. I'm riding Pirellia Supercorsa SP's. They're street tires, and I found their limits pretty quickly. No warning, no slippage. They just gave. I didn't know the difference in the track tires and SP's until AFTER I bought them and had them mounted.

NICE! Looking at a track map now, nice little S through 10-11 and a healthy of enough straight to be tempted to get into trouble coming into 12-13. Looks like a lot of fun. Is pit in and out pretty much that same little stretch?

Doubt I'll get to ride there anytime soon. Moving back to the bay area in the spring but that's still 400+ miles... :rolleyes:

NICE! Looking at a track map now, nice little S through 10-11 and a healthy of enough straight to be tempted to get into trouble coming into 12-13. Looks like a lot of fun. Is pit in and out pretty much that same little stretch?

Doubt I'll get to ride there anytime soon. Moving back to the bay area in the spring but that's still 400+ miles... :rolleyes:

Pit in is going straight on 12 instead of taking the right. It loops around by the oval and goes back in. Out is getting onto turn 1-2 area.

I guess it'll be 6 hours for you. It's 5 for me and I'm doing it again next year. Totally worth it.

I haven't been riding much this year - lots of excuses including vast amounts of rain and a couple of projects on my house taking a lot of 'time' (think $). But I did manage to get out twice in August to the local favourite Ring Knutstorp - and fall both times :unsure:

First time I had the video camera going and it perfectly chronicled my error(s). I'll let you guys sort the errors out: :D

My computer is playing tricks on me at the moment so this is without laptimer bling.

I should add that the session before I did a 1:08.86 lap (1.3 seconds faster than my previous record) almost without trying.

Less than 25 days later I have replaced the engine covers and whatnot and go out again. This time without the video camera, so I can't show it.

The fall came on the return lap after getting the chequered flag for the end of the session, at turn 1. T1 is really a quad right turn: 45 degrees, then 90 degrees, and then two smaller turns, but it's taken as a single sweeper (if you get it right, that is). After giving the steering input at the 45 degree, I feel the rear tyre slipping and then very quickly gripping again - highside time! I've never experienced a highsider before (and this was a very small one), but boy - I didn't have a chance to react! Bike didn't get smashed up that bad - just the recently replaced mushrooms got torn off and the left clipon is due for replacement.

I was less lucky: I broke the right wrist, going over the bike ('Fractura radii, extremitas distalis', for the medically inclined). I think what happened is that I hit the wrist on the fairing stay on the way over the bike. Both knees and the left shoulder had a smack as well. Just blue marks but no torn ligaments or broken bones.

Had the wrist x-rayed and got a cast on the arm same day, and were in for a checkup at the hospital friday + at a private hospital for a second opinion later same day. Everything looks OK, and there will not be a need for an operation is the verdict. Cast should go off in the beginning of October and then it's physiotherapy for some time for strength and movement in the joint. That should leave be plenty of time to be fit for the 2012 season B)

Had the wrist x-rayed and got a cast on the arm same day, and were in for a checkup at the hospital friday + at a private hospital for a second opinion later same day. Everything looks OK, and there will not be a need for an operation is the verdict. Cast should go off in the beginning of October and then it's physiotherapy for some time for strength and movement in the joint. That should leave be plenty of time to be fit for the 2012 season B)

Really glad you are for the most part "OK" and good spirited about it. I had my first highside a couple months ago (posted video in this thread previously) and still to this day don't remember any of it! I was out cold for a few minutes and don't remember anything until riding back to my pit in the ambulance and talking mid phrase. The not remembering I think has messed with my head more than anything. Can't fix what I did wrong if I can't remember it. :rolleyes:

Again, glad you're okay, get the bike fixed and get healthy. ;)

Photos from this last race weekend at Pacific. Great weather, great fun, and some personal best lap times!

-Sean

Sean G,

Been wanting to hit a track day there, but had heard bad things about the track in the past. Is this just rumor? Or was that back in the day? My only track experience thus far is Level I and II down at Streets in June. Thanks!

Ozzy

Hi Ozzyp,

Pacific does have some shortcomings, there is no doubt. That said, it is a somewhat technical track which can be a lot of fun. Some trackdays (2Fast for one) and the race organization use airfence on the most troubling areas, and they have removed the tire wall outside of T2. Bringing a little awareness of places to be conservative in should make for a safe and fun day at the track. Next race weekeing is on Oct 1,and 2, stop on by and see what you think. You can also bring your bike and for $20 do "taste of racing" during the lunch break (register early). It gives you 20 minutes of time on the track for $20, not a bad deal.

I am however looking forward to the new track in Shelton opening next year. They should have a challenging track with lots of runout and no airfence required. It has also been designed from the start with motorcycles in mind, has a separate drag area, camping facilities, pits with power, etc.

I still love Streets though... can't wait to go back in October.

-Sean

Hi Ozzyp,

Pacific does have some shortcomings, there is no doubt. That said, it is a somewhat technical track which can be a lot of fun. Some trackdays (2Fast for one) and the race organization use airfence on the most troubling areas, and they have removed the tire wall outside of T2. Bringing a little awareness of places to be conservative in should make for a safe and fun day at the track. Next race weekeing is on Oct 1,and 2, stop on by and see what you think. You can also bring your bike and for $20 do "taste of racing" during the lunch break (register early). It gives you 20 minutes of time on the track for $20, not a bad deal.

I am however looking forward to the new track in Shelton opening next year. They should have a challenging track with lots of runout and no airfence required. It has also been designed from the start with motorcycles in mind, has a separate drag area, camping facilities, pits with power, etc.

I still love Streets though... can't wait to go back in October.

-Sean

Sean G,

Thanks for the info! I'm gonna definetly have to check that out. Didn't even know that they was a track opening in Shelton. Sounds like its gonna be a good track. Will be looking forward to it as well.

Ozzy

Information on The Ridge Motorsports Park can be found here:

http://www.ridgemoto...com/masterplan/

Maybe with a new and safer track, CSS would be willing to come back up this way???

That would be AWESOME!!!! Maybe Dylan and Keith can come take a look some time!