Photos Of Ourselves...

Lol @ bike choices. A freind gave me first dibs on his stock 848 when he bought another one that was already modded almost exactly how he eventually wanted to build his up. Offered his old one to me for the same price I paid for the GSX-R, so the Suzuki was sold the next day and picked up the Duc in an apparent "no brainer".

Man, you nailed it on struggles adjusting to the new bike. It probably was a bit quick to hit a closed course after only having ridden it a week...maybe 4 or 500 street miles total beforehand. I figured I could become comfortable rather quickly considering I had done the same thing on my previous bikes (~500 miles after first learning to ride in 2010 on an '09 Ninja 250R before doing a DCTC ARC, then another one 100 miles later. Then about 300 miles on the GSX-R600 at the beginning before doing a DCTC ARC to start last season off, and was at Brainerd for my first taste of a real track @ ~1000 miles of seat tine on it). I had put about 3,100 total in on the G6 before the move to the 848...but I was feeling so in tune and getting so comfortable on the GSX-R that I was regretting the decision to sell it for the Ducati.

Characteristics of a twin vs I4 had me at almost tip-toe speed thru the corners of DCTCs road course (18 turns in less than a mile length-where the on track pic of me on the Ducati was taken). Steering differences had me exhausted in 5 min (the effort needed to turn AND HOLD the 848 from running wide on exit compared to the "set it and forget it" nature I was usedbon the G6) and regretting the move to the new bike. Trying to clamp on/ keep from sliding forward into the tank (TechSpecs got a failing grade from me as they neither had as much grip as I was used to nor stayed on...and the OEM seat seems very downward angled--on the GSX-R I had StompGrips which are phenomenal and the seating was definitely more "sitting in" than it was "perched on top" like the 848) which also contributed to me fighting and expending extra energy just to keep myself in proper position on the thing.

All better now, because along with a host of bike improvements for this upcoming season, I am confirmed for spots in Levels 1 & 2 on 4/2-3 @ Sears Point!!! Will be using the schools S1000RR, and although I am nervous about the whole "new bike that is more capable than anything I've ever ridden" thing, I trust that the skills learned on the BMW will transfer over to the 848 once our season starts. :-)

Here is a quick shot of how my bike sits now....waiting for the '12 trackday season to begin:

DSC_0340.jpg

-Christian

• Replies 293
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Characteristics of a twin vs I4 had me...

Christian;

You hit the issue clearly with this thought. There is a WORLD of difference between the two and it will take some time to acclimate - no question. Ducatis in particular are harder to turn and their throttles feel like a rheostat which makes tight corners particularly difficult; with CSS's strong emphasis on throttle control it will seem even harder - until you get it set up the way YOU want it. If you hang in there however you will learn how to use it and then it would be interesting to hear what you think.

As for your Level's I & II, using the Schools S1000R is a great idea and it is a much easier bike to ride than a Duc IHMO and I say that owning two. Sears is also an Awsome track (also IMHO) and one you should have a great time if you've never ridden it before.

Rainman

• 3 weeks later...

I have a WooHoo!/Photo of myself from the last couple of weeks, a bit different to the other photos here - but I thought I'd post because I don't think many people get the chance to sit on a MotoGP bike! All the times I've seen the previous years bike at the Phillip Island GP or in some other show, they're always locked up and there's no chance you'd be allowed to touch it, let alone sit on it. But thankfully, Japan is a pretty awesome place. biggrin.gif This was taken at Tokyo Auto Salon in January which is mainly a car show. But Honda had their bikes on display, and it made sense to bring out Stoners machine since they'd just won the championship. But rather than having it sit there by itself they were letting everyone line up for a chance to sit on it themselves. No way I was going to pass that up!

6788178829_b9b7e7455a_b.jpg

L1010344 by mugget, on Flickr

6788181075_2dd9b9a3ee_b.jpg

L1010349 by mugget, on Flickr

I consider myself a fairly average height (5'11") and maybe a bit heavier than average (83kg), so I was taking note of how everything fit. We keep hearing people mention how small the MotoGP bikes are - I'll confirm that! In the tuck position my backside was firmly up against the rear seat pad, I was trying to fit my elbows and knees together somehow but there's just no room to move.

My mate is a bit shorter and looked like a much better fit, probably alot closer to Stoners size.

6788182545_f391dbee00_b.jpg

L1010352 by mugget, on Flickr

6788181779_1b004eb07e_b.jpg

L1010351 by mugget, on Flickr

I think he had the better idea of moving his head closer to the screen. I looked up some pictures of Stoner and that's exactly how he seems to ride (with his head closer to the screen, that is).

Now a semi-related photo that popped up on Facebook over the holidays. Matt Mingay (Aussie stunt rider) post this pic, I've seen him around a few times and he's pretty much the same height as me, I'd say an average size guy as well. I'm not sure about anyone else, but I always thought of MotoGP in terms of relating it to my own bike - but the size and weight difference just shows how extreme it is compared to anything else I'm used to.

389953_322218617795859_142132475804475_1244052_764024671_n.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Awesome photos guys really nice!!

I don't have any of me on the track yet because I have never rode on a track but here are two that I am not ashamed to show you all of me on the Dragon last June. I have learned so much since that trip that I can't wait until this June to go back and try it all out.

Me%20on%20the%20Dragon%2011.jpg?disposition=download

Me%20on%20the%20Dragon%2010.jpg?disposition=download

Here is my first pass and yes I know now all what is wrong with feet after my toes hit the pavement. I had no idea I was riding like that until my buddy pointed it out. I do love the picture though.

Me%20on%20the%20Dragon%201.jpg?disposition=download

• 1 month later...

Here are a few shots from VIR earlier this month. For those that ask "what happens if it rains?"...see below. It may not be fun but you sure get a lot of practice with the bike moving around under you. :D

post-16961-0-15203100-1338403352_thumb.jpg

post-16961-0-51309100-1338403362_thumb.jpg

post-16961-0-15183000-1338403436_thumb.jpg

Nice pics from Sepang. I would love to ride a world-class circuit one day...

I have never complained about riding in the rain, I don't see any problems with it. In the case of riding on track in the rain I would go for it and recommend others to do the same. Make the most of it because you can't buy a wet track day. wink.gif

^^^^ NICE! B)

Thanks Gorecki, even I can look fast in a pic!

..you can't buy a wet track day. wink.gif

Well said mugget. I wouldn't have seen it that way before actually doing it. I found it very educational.

• 2 weeks later...

Quick video. It was an unfamiliar track, and I went into the intermediate group. Unfortunately I spent most of the day making my way through traffic.

Right at the beginning, I'm the white leathers and helmet that comes flying around the outside, then the bike with the blue covering the headlights, then I'm the bike just in front that the rider catches at the end of the straight. That's all of me. All are of me making my way through traffic. Pahrump was a pretty nice track, but I should have gone up a group.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

BIR 2-day 7/21-22

7699637446_5e2a268a31_z.jpg

7698159556_db66a02782_b.jpg

323949_10102254675948260_1107315005_o-1.jpg

7699655550_9e27509d88_z.jpg

Short 2 lap vid-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EQX4jqj_vUg

BIR on 8/31-

545996_429252330453643_902202296_n.jpg

543755_3583288262201_1263886389_n.jpg

424737_3582466281652_198444328_n.jpg

Headed down to Barber for NEBSA's trackday season finale weekend in a couple of weeks, but bringing the new-to-me CRA-prepped CBR600RR instead of the 848 to get a feel for it, as I'm looking to start club racing next season. Would much rather bring a bike I'm familar with to a track I've never been to, but figured it best to see what this the CBR is like before being committed to it next year. Signed up for 'B' group due to the reputation of NESBA's upper B riders being on par with upper I group riders in most other organizations. Moreso, I NEED to develop passing skills....as it is a huge hole in my riding...and I think starting in B with a new-to-me bike will force me to develop smart passing skills once I get comfortable with the bike.

Thanks to everyone at CSS that has given me a good base to start my track riding with before I really even had the chance to develop bad habits. Gerry (Sigs) is a huge asset to your coaching staff, as I had him for both days. Vision skills learned at the school are invaluable!! Hoping to make it back for Lvls 3&4 early next season.

-Christian

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...