Photos Of Ourselves...

We rarely have a photographer around at our Inde trackdays. I usually share all the photo's I take with friends. I FINALLY have some newer ones of me.

Glad you got some new pix of yourself for a change JZ. I love that helmet BTW, I have a tie like that… :)

Few of me from Friday at CSS Level 1, Silverstone Stowe Circuit.

Following Killswitch during the turn points drill:

It looks like you had a good time Steve. I wish I could crank that S100RR over like that. Maybe after VIR next month :P

#2 - the photographer had some fun with placing a camera on a (very) small tripod and remote control it with a laptop.

That is a great shot Kia! It looks like the photographer is standing on the apex. Too cool. B)

• Replies 293
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

Kai;

Awesome my friend; which one is going to become your new avitar?

Rain

Thanks Rain.

Maybe this one :)

post-15296-0-92095700-1304890776_thumb.jpg

Kai

• 4 weeks later...

I have some video + GPS/laptimer footage that I'll put up on UT soon(ish).

Aaaand ... finally the promised video :) - 2 laps, taken on the third day. Laptime around 1.58.50, which I improved by almost 3 seconds just 1-2 sessions later B)

... finally the promised video :) - 2 laps, taken on the third day. Laptime around 1.58.50, which I improved by almost 3 seconds just 1-2 sessions later B)

Damn Kai, that is an awsome video. Does your mother know you ride like that?

BTW, tell us did you catch that guy at the end? You passed everybody else!

Rain

Istanbul Park May 19 level 3. I did level 1-2 with an enduro bike (F800GS). This time 2011 Honda CBR600RR. It was my first Sport bike and first time in a track with it. After the GS ,CBR felt really like a toy..Oh God felt so good...

3.jpg

2.jpg

Damn Kai, that is an awsome video. Does your mother know you ride like that?

BTW, tell us did you catch that guy at the end? You passed everybody else!

Thanks Rain. My mother doesn't like bikes in general, so we indulge in the "She doesn't ask, I don't tell" dance :lol:

Oh, she knows I ride on the track and as long as I don't hurt myself, she's happy.

But did I catch the guy at the end? Frankly, I don't recall. While it looks impressive in the video, I got passed by several other riders, including 2 swedes on their 125cc 2-stroke bikes. I think there was a span from just over 1:50 to just under 2:00 in our group.

While comparing laps with the GPS based laptimer, I've found that even my "consistent" laps (in terms of lap times) aren't that consistent after all. But that's subject for a separate thread later.

Kai

heres some of me at cadwell last week on my 1999 r6 (unfortunately i crashed later , i,ll post some questions on that in coach / cornering questions later . i,ve tried to attach 1 after this as a demo but i,ve put a link here to view gallery if interested ,and any comments .

i,ll try to add a single picture after but i apologise in advance if its too big !! it will take me all night to find how to reduce it .. cheers

//picasaweb.google.com/mmaarrtteegg/TegR6Cadwell?authkey=Gv1sRgCNr6n5uUv4qXnQE

Here's one from Summit Point last weekend. I'd put up more but can't get to them at the moment.

Nice looking bike Gorecki! I dig the matte silver paint.

Did you enjoy Summit? I've been thinking about doing a track day up there, something different from VIR.

Nice looking bike Gorecki! I dig the matte silver paint.

Did you enjoy Summit? I've been thinking about doing a track day up there, something different from VIR.

Thanks man. Honestly the paint is aweful. LOL The picture does it more justice then deserved. Here's something really funny (well to me anyway). You can't tell but I did some touch up spots that should be visible in the pic. After a somewhat extensive search for a paint match, the closest I could find, Testers "Flat Aluminum" model paint. :lol:

I spend a fair amount of time at Summit Point Main. I'm a cornerworker for MARRC and we work all bike races for CCS and WERA. So I'm somewhat biased as I've walked, driven a car and ridden the track, I think it's great! The front straight is fun, down hillish so even my ole mule broke the 160's before hitting T1, the back carousel (T5 - T9) is a good workout on control.

Here's another rider's on board video from that day, gives a good idea of the track. Kind of fun too. Only place I am in it is standing in the riders meeting at the very beginning. ;)

Thanks man. Honestly the paint is aweful. LOL The picture does it more justice then deserved. Here's something really funny (well to me anyway). You can't tell but I did some touch up spots that should be visible in the pic. After a somewhat extensive search for a paint match, the closest I could find, Testers "Flat Aluminum" model paint. :lol:

I spend a fair amount of time at Summit Point Main. I'm a cornerworker for MARRC and we work all bike races for CCS and WERA. So I'm somewhat biased as I've walked, driven a car and ridden the track, I think it's great! The front straight is fun, down hillish so even my ole mule broke the 160's before hitting T1, the back carousel (T5 - T9) is a good workout on control.

Here's another rider's on board video from that day, gives a good idea of the track. Kind of fun too. Only place I am in it is standing in the riders meeting at the very beginning. ;)

So it's one of thos "better from a distance" paint jobs? Or in other words, perfect for the track. :P Either way I dig the color.

Thanks for posting the vid. that looks like a fun track and definitely different than VIR so I am going to have to give it a try.

Have a great weekend.

Had another fix of track riding yesterday at Ring Knutstorp. Cut out a massive 1.65seconds out of my best laptime - yay! Now down to 1:10.14 B)

Kai

Note that I type this well aware that your speed and skills are much, much higher than mine and that my observations are purepy based upon on-board camera sessions from world class racing. In other words, I should probably just have kept quiet since I do not know form first hand experience how to do things better - or even remotely equally well - compared to you.

But still: From what I can see, you sometimes take some lines that seems like you go in too tight and have to wait too long before you can turn. At least from my point of view; I often found myself picking out a very different line I felt was natural to me compared to where you rode. Also, you seem to be quite late getting on the throttle and also early and quite gentle on the brakes.

BTW - it would be very interesting to get somebody with actual knowledge to comment so that I can learn whether I am wrong, partially or completely.

PS! Congrats on your improvement - that's a big chunk on such a short track B)

Note that I type this well aware that your speed and skills are much, much higher than mine and that my observations are purepy based upon on-board camera sessions from world class racing. In other words, I should probably just have kept quiet since I do not know form first hand experience how to do things better - or even remotely equally well - compared to you.

But still: From what I can see, you sometimes take some lines that seems like you go in too tight and have to wait too long before you can turn. At least from my point of view; I often found myself picking out a very different line I felt was natural to me compared to where you rode. Also, you seem to be quite late getting on the throttle and also early and quite gentle on the brakes.

BTW - it would be very interesting to get somebody with actual knowledge to comment so that I can learn whether I am wrong, partially or completely.

PS! Congrats on your improvement - that's a big chunk on such a short track B)

Thanks, Eirik - it's definitely a major step head.

Your comments are most welcome - remember that observation skills is entirely different from riding skills. I think it was Steve Brouggy (head Aussie coach) who said: "Who would you prefer to learn golf from: Tiger Woods or Tiger's coach?"

You are most likely right on me being a wussie and braking too early :D I'm a little confused about your comment on being "too tight and have to wait too long before you can turn": are you saying I'm too far from the outside curb and turn too late or that I have to wait too long before getting back on the gas?

As a comparison, here's a video of a former world championships rider (not sure if it's SBK or SSP) running in his new ZX-6R, at the same track - doing 1:01.1 laps :blink:

(there's also a

).

If you look at your movie early on, around 10 - 15 seconds in, you see that you turn too sharply and get too close to the inside of the next corner, losing speed and then being easily passed around 25 seconds in.

It would have been good to be able to watch the two films side by side in slo-mo so that it was possible to compare section for section, but to me it seems like Gsson goes much quicker and further accross the track to the opposite side of his exit when required to set up for his next corner. He wait longer before he turns in and he turns in further from the apex. As a result of this, his bike is pointing slightly into the turn when he flicks it over, whereas you seem to at times still drift towards the edge to get far enough to the outside when you turn in, with the bike pointing slightly away from the corner. He also use less time and distance to change direction. This is very apparent through the fast esses.

If I had the ability to ride that fast*, I feel confident I could take 3 seconds out of your lap time simply by placing my bike more towards the outside edge and then turn in quicker. These seconds would come without any other changes. Although you don't make up all that much time on the brakes, you lose about a second down the front straight alone by overrevving the lowest gear before shortshifting into the highest gear (final upshift) and braking early. Finally, you could get another second by turning sharper since you could get on the throttle sooner. So about 5 seconds without any increase in risk or outright speed. Then there's only 5 more to find :D

*I doubt I could turn a 1:40 lap, honestly, at least not without lots of tuition and practice. So you're doing very well. But I think you could, as mentioned, quite easily do a lot better. I remember Roberts Sr. having trouble in Suzuka. He stopped riding, went back to his hotel, laid down for a few hours before driving out to the track again, proclaiming "I've found 2 seconds" to his team, went out and cut nearly 2.5 seconds off his lap time. I'm pretty sure you can find more than that by watching Gsson's video many times before invisioning every corner, every inch of the track, in fact. And I'm talking mentally going around the track for hours. It isn't for nothing that racers will bicycle or even walk around every race track, looking for clues and bumps and seams and whatever, looking for any advantage they can find in order to circulate as fast as possible.

• 3 weeks later...

It was a wee bit nippy on my tour through the Sierra Madres this last 6 weeks,,,

IMGP0002.JPG

As a fifth generation Floridian this picture is physically painful for me to view! Hard core brother.