Tank Traction Pads

Hi,

I will be attending a few Superbike School days coming up at Infineon in Oct. and Nov.

I currently use the TechSpec SS tank pads and they work very well for me as long as I use my everyday riding pants (leather). I recently bought a one-piece leather racing suit for the track, but it's extremely slippery. Maybe it's the type of leather, or the location of the stretch panels, but I'm constantly sliding into my tank now and I'm having to work a lot harder. Does anyone have any suggestions? Is there some way to treat the leather to get it to grip better against the traction pads?

I've noticed the same thing. I have an Alpinestars 1 pc suit for the track, and their "bat pants" for twisty road days. Both materials are the same color and same 1.4mm spec leather, the the suit has little grip and the pants stick like rubber, but to the hand they feel similar. Whatever treatment they have on the riding pants I wish was on the suit!

There are products made for horseback riding called "Saddle Stick" or something similar. Brand new leather riding boots are slippery against an English saddle (especially when shined up for a show!), and being able to keep your leg securely anchored against the saddle is critical when jumping big jumps. Saddle Stick is a clear waxy substance that can be applied safely to leather without doing any damage, and it provides a much grippier surface than the new leather. It works great on motorcycle leathers and seats. You can't see it and in my experience it wears off eventually and by the time it does, your leathers are worn slightly and are no longer so slick. The stuff is cheap (I bought a little roll-on stick that lasted years and probably cost about $4) and you can find it online or at any large tack shop that carries English saddles.

I also second the opinions that (a) StompGrip gives a lot more secure grip than TechSpec AND can be annoying if you ride in regular clothes, and (b)if you take your time, heat the pads until they are flexible, amd make sure to smooth out air bubbles, StompGrip will go on very secure and last a really long time. Mine is at least two years old and still looks perfect.

• 1 year later...

Hi all, long time lurker. I've decided to go with Tech Spec for my VFR that may never see any track use. Can't seem to find a good place to get it, Stomp grip is every where , maybe for a good reason but Tech Spec seems like it might be more forgiving on the install. Thanks! Dave

Hi all, long time lurker. I've decided to go with Tech Spec for my VFR that may never see any track use. Can't seem to find a good place to get it, Stomp grip is every where , maybe for a good reason but Tech Spec seems like it might be more forgiving on the install. Thanks! Dave

Hmmm...I sent a note to one of our guys to see if he knows.

I do like more grip than the Tech Spec personally.

CF

• 1 month later...

I had never used a tank grip pad before attending Level 1 class at Barber - I was so impressed with the Stomp grip pads that I asked Dylan at the end of the day if they had any clear ones on hand for purchase but unfortunately they only had black (I have a new CBR1KRR - white with Red & Blue graphics that carry over onto the tank that I do not want to cover up) so I will be ordering the clear Stomp grip pad. I'll post again once I get them on the bike to report either successes or difficulties - the black ones were super sticky on the track and worked great with my one piece leathers - not sure if they'll be uncomfortable with my mesh riding pants that I wear over my work clothes for commuting.:)

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

What do you think about the super-aggressive Stomp Grip pads on the 2014 school bikes? I really liked them. Unfortunately, they're not on the Stomp Grip catalog, and I want some for my race bike. The bumps are so much larger than those on the Volcano Stomp Grips (which were on the school's 2012 bikes) and provide a lot more grip.

• 3 weeks later...

Last year Cobie mentioned they had been working with Stomp Grip on the more aggressive pads for the school and that if they were a success they might be made available to the general public.

You should PM him and let him know you liked them. I'm sure he will let them know.

• 2 weeks later...

The seat question reminded me that I have an awesome seat that has just the right amount of friction so that you can still slide into hanging off. I designed it myself from foam insulation and had it fabricated by New Image Seats in Myrtle Beach South Carolina. Some people have questioned that I can't get into a good tuck but the foam is soft so I don't find that a problem. Besides that fact you can design the seat to your exact specifications. I think you'll notice lots of race bikes that have some sort of bolster that keeps the rider in one position. Take a look and see what you think. The seat is awesome in that it keeps you in position under hard acceleration which is important from the man himself...Keith. That is Keith said in Twist 2 that you should find a position and stay with it.

post-25517-0-19689900-1398646489_thumb.jpg