Back Protectors

I'm about to order a custom racing suit from Vanson Leathers. What type of back protector should I order - a strap-on or an insert type back protector? which is better safety-wise?

This is what I currently use: 430b966b8fc12c0785b7e81a92410fed_rough.jpg

It has no tail-bone protection

T-pro have a strap-on version: image.php

The price difference is $25 only...

Thanks.

amid

Hi Amid,

Good move on investing on a back protector - I (and a number of riders I know) won't ride on the track without one.

Your question on which is better will be best answered by thinking, what is the ultimate goal of a back protector?

If it can do that function in either strap or insert, then either will be fine - the choice would probably come down to comfort. As you're ordering a custom made suit it'll be a hard choice since you can't try them on with this new suit! or can you? Might be a good question to ask the supplier if you can request to try the two types AFTER the suit is made or will the suit be made with the knowledge of what protector type you chose?

for what it's worth, I use a strap type. Mainly since I use it on the road with my 2 piece. Where as the insert one I have isn't as 'portable'. (Dainese BAP3, one with the straps, the other with the straps cut off)

The Tail bone protection sounds good, but I know with the Dainese if it creeps low it can get annoying (if it works its way under your skins/underarmour it's positively annoying! Really good if you could try them both on and get in the ride position to see which is nicest for your body shape.

Thoughts?

Good topic. I'm also interested in body armor, but I'm mostly looking for something to wear to and from work. The ICON Field Armor or the yellow Field Armor Vest look like good deals. My summer jacket has CE pads all around, but it would be nice to have something to wear under my leather jacket that offered a bit more protection.

Do you have a favorite chest and back protector?

Do you have favorite leg padding like maybe the Bohn Armor Pants?

Anyone wearing an Aerostitch suit with CE pads?

Thanks.

Hi Amid,

Good move on investing on a back protector - I (and a number of riders I know) won't ride on the track without one.

Your question on which is better will be best answered by thinking, what is the ultimate goal of a back protector?

If it can do that function in either strap or insert, then either will be fine - the choice would probably come down to comfort. As you're ordering a custom made suit it'll be a hard choice since you can't try them on with this new suit! or can you? Might be a good question to ask the supplier if you can request to try the two types AFTER the suit is made or will the suit be made with the knowledge of what protector type you chose?

for what it's worth, I use a strap type. Mainly since I use it on the road with my 2 piece. Where as the insert one I have isn't as 'portable'. (Dainese BAP3, one with the straps, the other with the straps cut off)

The Tail bone protection sounds good, but I know with the Dainese if it creeps low it can get annoying (if it works its way under your skins/underarmour it's positively annoying! Really good if you could try them both on and get in the ride position to see which is nicest for your body shape.

Thoughts?

Hey Jason, thanks for clarifying it for us. I decided to go with a strap on type back protector. It seems Forcefield T-pro Sub4 back protector absorbs the impact best. The tests show that it transmits 3.38kn energy. No other back protectors have attained this level of protection yet.

They're waiting for me to bring my new back and chest protectors so they can take new measurements. The back protector I m about to order is kinda thick. If they soon come up with a thinner version and more protection, I either will have to keep the current one, or have them the suit readjusted.

T-Pro Body Armor Forcefield Action Shorts come with a pre-inserted tail bone protector. Yeah I know its better than nothing, but do they offer the same protection of a tail bone as a back protector does?

http://www.kneedraggers.com/details/TPro_Body_Armor_Forcefield_Action_Short--642545.html

Good topic. I'm also interested in body armor, but I'm mostly looking for something to wear to and from work. The ICON Field Armor or the yellow Field Armor Vest look like good deals. My summer jacket has CE pads all around, but it would be nice to have something to wear under my leather jacket that offered a bit more protection.

Do you have a favorite chest and back protector?

Do you have favorite leg padding like maybe the Bohn Armor Pants?

Anyone wearing an Aerostitch suit with CE pads?

Thanks.

Hi Crash106,

I saw ICON Field Armor at a local shop yesterday. I was not impressed AT ALL. its looks great but that's all about it. it's not even CE Level 2 approved. if you add some 20-50 bucks, you can get a CE Level 2 back protector.

I've used a Forcefield one, fantastically comfortable too. Heard nice things about the new A-stars ones we just got, but haven't used it yet.

CF

I just got a DAINESE Shield Air Back Protector from Cycle Gear. Picked it up on the way to Talladega GP.

I have no point of reference to work from since it is the first one I have ever used.

http://www.cyclegear.com/spgm.cfm?L1=&L2=&L3=&L4=&item=DAI_1875933-SM_G

• 2 weeks later...

I just got a DAINESE Shield Air Back Protector from Cycle Gear. Picked it up on the way to Talladega GP.

I have no point of reference to work from since it is the first one I have ever used.

http://www.cyclegear...AI_1875933-SM_G

Hi all, new to forum.

How is your Dainese Shield Air Back Protector? it looks very thick/bulky.....does it fit under a leather jacket well considering that jacket should already be snug around the body?

I just brought a bike and looking for back protectors.

currently researching :

Dainese shield air back (above)

dainese Bap 1 http://www.dainese.com/us_en/motorbike/bap-1.html

rs taichi CE flex back http://stores.sportbiketrackgear.com/Detail.bok?no=8122

rs taichi inner back http://stores.sportbiketrackgear.com/Detail.bok?no=8117

any info or suggestion would be appreciation from a new rider

thanks