Which Bike Would You Buy?

Hi Guys,

This thread actually has some real genuine interest personally for me, as I'm going through this very debate myself right now, so I thought why not start a thread on here, and see what everyone would do, and why.

So, my quandry is this. I've got a few bikes, but I'm going to buy myself a new bike over the winter (not neccesarily brand new), to become my new trackbike/potential endurance race bike. Now, there are a few things it needs to do, it must: -

• Fast and very capable of 175bhp at rear wheel
  • It must provide a challenge to ride (or be capable of be entertaining or make me get off and go, ######, that was fun)
  • either be fully kitted already or be upgradeable
  • Be able to compete in endurance racing

So, I've looked around, and I've few options on my list right now,

• BMW S1000RR
  • Jap Litre bike (most probably fireblade), superstock racer
  • Ducati 1098R

Now my thinking behind each is. BM fastest thing going by a mile, winning everything in superstock and it looks nice. I've not ridden one though, and I do fear I won't like all the electronic interference (I hear that for example even in slick mode, it doesn't give you full power till 3-4 seconds after you open the throttle tube). Fireblade, well, it's a great superstock bike, and it's fast, reliable and parts are pretty available. I like the look of it as well to be honest. Now, I'm a massive Twin fan, I love the things, and this is clearly the daddy of all twins, however, I know there much more expensive than the Japs, but it's a Ducati. :-)

So, you can probably guess I've got a reasonable budget for my next bike, so the question is, what would you buy, and why?

Bullet

p.s. it needn't be any of these by the way, let you imagination run wild. ;)

Hello Bullet,

I would pick the BMW S1000RR. I'm not even a racer, and I want one! I would take it for the very reason you're not sure about it--the electronic aids. I'd keep the bike basically stock (only fixing what I need to change to make it race legal), set the suspension once and forget about it for the rest of the season. Then, I'd buy a trailer full of fresh tires, load up the bike and go have a good time.

Granted, nobody has won a Superbike race with the S1000RR in Europe or the USA, but the bikes have been in the top ten. Since I'm not a top ten rider, I'd be doing the whole thing for fun anyway, so why not make it easier and safer by picking the BMW?

On the other hand, at least in US Superbike races (sorry, I don't get any coverage of endurance racing), the Gixxer 1000 takes half the places in every race. Hard to beat that!

Hello Bullet,

I would pick the BMW S1000RR. I'm not even a racer, and I want one! I would take it for the very reason you're not sure about it--the electronic aids.

Interesting thought, and I see your thinking my friend. oddly, I really like/relish the challenge of learning to master something difficult. it's a bit like driving a car with these new flappy paddle gearboxes. much as I admire them, and would love to experience the performance possible, it still doesn't compare to getting it right with a good old stick and clutch pedal.

So that's a bit how I feel about gadgets on bikes. sure they're incredible, and without doubt add greatly to the safety and aids the normal rider to exploit more safely from the bike, I love the idea of the challenge, the having to adapt, tentaively learn how to get the best from it. coming back into the pits after scaring myself gives me something to remember and to bore my mates about. :)

bullet

Is this bike to ride on the track or to put spot lights on in the garage?

ah, my cynical old friend.

Ride always way more important. bling's not my thing, ride experience and excitement is paramount.

B.

Ride always way more important. bling's not my thing, ride experience and excitement is paramount.

B.

I rate these bikes the following

CBR BMW Ducati

Technology

07 10 08

Reliability

10 08 08

Trackability

10 09 08

Aftermarket Parts

10 08 08

Cost

10 08 07

Maintenance

10 08 07

Beauty

07 08 10

Crash cost

10 08 06

Track Comfort

10 10 08

Aprilia RSV4 is my favorite. Good looking, powerfull enough and to spare ;-), very fast, Italian one, two V twins onboard ;-) , meets your requirements and much more over my ones.

Second on my top list is BMW S1000RR. As "everything included" it wins with any japs or other competitors. The only drawback - it is more "screamer" than V melody which I really love...

Its quite a question, and quite a dilemma to be in, Knowing the smart money is really in the BMW, 15 grand and you have a bike capable of winning races, but as you say everyone is on one, even rutter rides one in superstock, but his superbike is the 1198R, the blade, now there is potential to get alot of bike for your money and as you say spares are easy to get a hold of! Out of your 3 bikes I would pick the 1198R, but I just bought an 848 for the road and its the most involving, fun bike I have ever owned so im a little biased, and the 1198R is to me the dream bike, well between that and the desmo but Im not sure how competitive that wold be!

One thing though, all of these bikes have the traction control and electronics packages that your not so keen on, even a superstock blade will have some sort of elictronics!

Another option would be the RC8R, I think Jerry Mcwilliams did well on one in the German superbikes! But as I said 1198R for me!

Bobby

B.

I rate these bikes the following

CBR BMW Ducati

Technology

07 10 08

Reliability

10 08 08

Trackability

10 09 08

Aftermarket Parts

10 08 08

Cost

10 08 07

Maintenance

10 08 07

Beauty

07 08 10

Crash cost

10 08 06

Track Comfort

10 10 08

So Fossil, thanks for your comments and scoring, nothing like putting some science and metrics to it I guess.. wink.gif I also recognise you know better than most, as you have a Blade and a Duke, so have that informed real opinion.

So, I calculated your final scoring as: -

Honda 84

BMW 77

Ducati 70

Seems the money is very clearly on the Blade. I agree in many respects with your scoring. We're perhaps missing the two most important factor though? Excitment and desire to ride? Which should surely score with higher weights, as they're the most critical factors to me? These bikes are all quick, and can be made quicker, I'm going to junk standard suspension for Ohlins kit, etc, exhausts and Power commanders will also be fitted, as wel as Dunlop Slicks, and so on. They'll all pull a skin of a rice pudding to coin a phrase! laugh.gif so it's not raw speed that's the issue here, as I suspect they'll all lap within shades of each other, so it's involvement and enjoyment.

Bullet

My Ducati 999R sits in the garage. It is by far the best piece of machinery I have ever owned. A thing of beauty designed for racing with innovation and thought that you will not find on most motorcycles. From the trellis frame to the Marchesini wheels, brembo brakes and Ohlins suspension this is a fine piece of gear. The tank and seat mount are one assembly which slides front to back to change weight distribution. One can loosen four bolts and swing the tank and seat up to about a 35 degree angle to service rear cylinder. A plug change takes all of ten minutes. The bike holds about 4.5 liters of oil and has a pre-filter, a primary filter and magnetic drain plug. You don't like the trail of the front end? You can change it. There are two settings. The Brembo brakes are phenominal! The Ducati has the bleeder screw built in to the fluid reservoir. A 4mm socket can bleed the air as the fluid stays in the reservoir and at the highest point in the system. The shift lever and brake lever are independent of the rear sets. The brake lever has about 8 settings as the shift lever comes with a concentric cam so you can adjust for toe position. The instrument panel is amazing. Oil temperature, water temparature, volts rpm etc.

The sound of the twin surronds you thanks to the Termognini racing exhaust. I have had people at a track day move out of the line when I have come up behind them 165 rear wheel hp. I also get people coming by the garage wanting to here it. The dry clutch clack,clack,clack,clack!

The bad news...a 2000 mile tune up and valve adjustment $1000.00. I buddy low sided it in the grass and the repair was $3000.00 The techtronic quick shifter was bent, no problem I just had to send it to NEW F'n ZEALAND for repair. I love this bike but the Fireblade is more comfortable on the track and I am not as paranoid about wadding it up...Oh by the way Bullet did I say the "Duc" is for sale? LOL

and whats wrong with the new zeddy

what's right with it might be a better starting place? :P nah, theymre actually brilliant road bikes, a friend had one, and it was brilliant, but theyre not track weapons. be good for one class race series, be brilliant wihinging that around with your mates for sure.

now the rsv auggestion is an excellent one for sure. i have an older rsv and its great, though dealer support in the uk is terrible. my biggest issue is that I am a big lad, and it will look like I am riding a small childs bike rammed between the cheeks of my ass. Leon camier races one, and talking to AndyI, he says whilst he gets on with it, he struggles to fit properly and get locked on, and you can see that from TV.

I know there is a new ZX10 coming out, anyone know of any other new kit being released? I've looked around, but to little avail.

Cheers

Bullet

I buddy low sided it in the grass and the repair was $3000.00 The techtronic quick shifter was bent, no problem I just had to send it to NEW F'n ZEALAND for repair.

All the best things get sent here for repair...

I wish I could have delivered it myself! "All the best things get sent here for repair..." Maybe I should have my knee scoped there!

We're renound for "number 8 wire" fix up's and making the most of our resources...

Come on down, we'll give you a shot of whiskey, something to watch on the telly, and rip into your knee to have it better than new!

Titanium or carbon fibre, sir?

Then we can stitch it up with a fish hook and some nylon.

So, my quandry is this. I've got a few bikes, but I'm going to buy myself a new bike over the winter (not necessarily brand new), to become my new trackbike/potential endurance race bike.

Since you want to do endurance racing, I'd take a looong hard look at the service- and maintain-ability of the bikes. Simple stupid things like "how easy & quick is it to change the f***ing wheels?".

I just had to take the rear wheel off my R1 2003 streetbike (in order to have the Ohlins shock serviced), and while taking the wheel off is a breeze, putting it back on again always make me want to cut the heart out of the stupid Yamaha engineer who designed the bugger with a blunt spoon!!! (so it'll hurt more) :angry: :angry: :angry:

Dunno why, but it's been designed so you need to be a two-headed, two-necked*, four-armed monster in order to put the wheel & rear brake holder in the right place while pushing in the axle.

*) you need at least a pair of eyes and arms on either side of the darn swingarm to align the bloody wheel.

Since fitting the rear wheel on the R6-2008 is a breeze, either someone has beaten me to getting to the engineer, he's committed harakiri from the shame, or - even worse - he's roaming at one of the other jap companies, scheming on doing another attack on some unsuspecting motorcycle design.

Ah, suggestions:

How 'bout an KTM RC8R? At least the sound is awesome :)

For racing, I wouldn't dare touch a Duc or Aprilia with a 12 foot pole, but that's just me.

The 'blade is clearly a safe bet. Being in the UK, you should also have a reasonable steady supply of "slightly used" bikes and parts as donors for the racebike, should an accident occur :D

From what I hear about the cross-plane R1 engine, it can be tuned quite a bit, but is lacking power in stock conditions.

Cheers, Kai

So.. where's the question???? I don't see no stinkin question????? :D

• It must provide a challenge to ride (or be capable of be entertaining or make me get off and go, ######, that was fun)

• Ducati 1098R

Now, I'm a massive Twin fan, I love the things, and this is clearly the daddy of all twins, however, I know there much more expensive than the Japs, but it's a Ducati. :-)

I've got a reasonable budget for my next bike

Bullet

Not that I've ever owned a duke (well, never a Ducati racebike), but I think you've already figured it out :D Character, excitment, the potential it could blow oil all over the back tyre just adds that edge to every corner! :) kidding... the Ducati seems to tick all your boxes hey?

So.. where's the question???? I don't see no stinkin question????? :D

• Ducati 1098R

Now, I'm a massive Twin fan, I love the things, and this is clearly the daddy of all twins, however, I know there much more expensive than the Japs, but it's a Ducati. :-)

I've got a reasonable budget for my next bike

Bullet

Not that I've ever owned a duke (well, never a Ducati racebike), but I think you've already figured it out :D Character, excitment, the potential it could blow oil all over the back tyre just adds that edge to every corner! :) kidding... the Ducati seems to tick all your boxes hey?

Ha Ha jason, your post made me laugh a lot.

Now, I cannot deny, I am very taken with the potential idea of a Duke, the wifes got a 749R, and she lets me have a pootle about on it now and again, and it's fab, though its almost impossible to lock onto. I'm hoping someone going to tell me, my misconceptions of the BM are wrong, and that a blades really the one I want. LOL. I am sort of hoping that Big H will release a V4 and that will probably be the ticket, sounds like a twin, got soul, etc, etc.

It's a big quandry for sure though, less cash for as great bike, versus more cash and more charisma and soul. I suppose getting VIP passes for Ducati Xerox @WSB didn't realy help either. I'm doomed aren't I really. LOL. A mate phoned yesterday and we know someone who has a 1098R and its done 1500 miles, and had 5k of extras put on too. all ones I'd do myself, termis, rearsets, quickshifter etc, etc.

A lot of our UK crew have done the duke thing 10years back, and they all say it's pain, but maybe I need to find out for myself, after all the wife's duke's been 100percent perfect to date.

I've never ridden really trick inline 4, and wonder what they're like?

Bullet

RC8R has come up a few times, they're rare, anyone ridden one? I know the original RC8 had some throttle and gearbox foibles, but perhaps that is worthy of some research. I will have a look, see what I think, anyone with experience of riding one, please share your thoughts.

Bullet.

RC8R has come up a few times, they're rare, anyone ridden one? I know the original RC8 had some throttle and gearbox foibles, but perhaps that is worthy of some research. I will have a look, see what I think, anyone with experience of riding one, please share your thoughts.

I know a couple of guys who ride/race RC8's here in Denmark (don't think they have RC8R's). If you're interested, I can probably connect you with them.

Send a pm if you're interested, and I'll see what I can do.

Kai

Keen to hear about RC8R experiences too! I've a Honda CBR, typical rocket it is (Aus SBK motor with some decent suspension) as great as it is, it doesn't scream excitement plus.... I think I need to try a duke out too, a decent one... I watch them on track, their steeper steering head, less trail, you see one enter a turn and hold a tighter line and wonder - if you put all Keith's tech into your riding AND put yourself on a bike like that - would that be as good as it gets? I'd have to think yes!

The bank disagrees, but if our riding decisions were based on financial prudence then we'd never go riding! :D

Good luck on the decision Bullet :D Either way we want to see pictures afterwards, whatever you choose I'm sure we're all going to be jealous :D :D

Of course it SHOULD be a Suzuki, but.....

At the last round of the ASBK here, Craig Coxhall put a Superstock BMW in the top 10 in Superbike! Power commander, exhaust, suspension, boof! Top 10.

I'm sure if you just kept cutting wires you'd eventually disable the electronics ;)

The only literbike I've really ridden is the Yamaha R1. Piddled around on a few, but actually got on the R1's and ridden them. It's a little short on the HP compared to the other bikes, but I'm telling you, I don't know how many times I had to check to make sure the '09 R1 wasn't an R6. Perfectly balanced, quick, good enough on power. Beautiful bike. I'd happily put my money into an '09 R1 without even checking into the other ones.

Of course it SHOULD be a Suzuki, but.....

At the last round of the ASBK here, Craig Coxhall put a Superstock BMW in the top 10 in Superbike! Power commander, exhaust, suspension, boof! Top 10.

I'm sure if you just kept cutting wires you'd eventually disable the electronics wink.gif

I rode an endurance racer GSXR1000 earlier this year, motor was stock apart from Akra System, filters and PCIII, Ohlins , gearing and brakes had been added and it was very fast, was eating my Standard R1 for breakfast. The rider let me have a pootle about, and it was very impressive, specifically the linear pull of the motor, though I didn't really feel at one with it. You also sort of sat in it a little, which felt a little odd. Was quick mind.

The BMW is without doubt it's very fast. I thought (as I'd been researching), I'd share the standard power outputs, as they leave the factory, no exhaust, PC3 etc, etc (rear wheel) of the bikes, all from the same source, (akrapvoic) for continuity and so their is room for arguing, and akra race full system figures latterly (I'm sure it varies a little mind, but it'll give a good idea to anyone interested. So the players: -

Standard - Akra Race

• Aprilia RSV4 = 165Bhp - 168Bhp
  • BMW S1000RR = 185bhp - 191Bhp
  • Ducati 1098R = 167Bhp - 175Bhp
  • Honda CBR1000RR = 170Bhp - 174Bhp
  • Kawasaki ZX10R = 169Bhp - 179Bhp
  • KTM RC8R = 160Bhp - N/A
  • Suzuki GSXR1000 = 168BHP - 178Bhp
  • Yamaha R1 = 161Bhp - 165Bhp

Interesting figures eh? wink.gif Easy to see why the BMW S1000RR is kicking butt in Superstock racing isn't it, and why no one uses an R1.

More research data as I find it.

Bullet

You can't go wrong whatever you decide Bullet. I think your first three are all great choices and you won't be disappointed whatever you get...We all know that it's the rider who twists the throttle that makes it sing.