Young, New Rider

Guest Gordon Grant

Guest Gordon Grant

I am 20 years old and will soon have my motorcycle license after I

complete the MSF basic rider course. I do not want to ride on the

street, though; I want to learn to ride on the track and become a

competent track motorcyclist. (I think perhaps learning to ride on the track at your school would preclude my learning bad habits by riding on the street).

I see that you have four levels of courses, level one being the most basic. I assume, however, that you would require some degree of street-riding experience to enroll in a two-day, level-one program. Therefore, how much street riding experience do I need to enroll in a level-one course, participate safely, and begin to learn the art of track riding a motorcycle? Would you recommend any street experience if I am sufficiently comfortable using the motorcycle's controls, that is, the brakes, throttle, clutch, and gear shifter?

I know that you use Kawasaki ZX-6Rs, which are very powerful machines that

might overwhelm a beginner. Thus, would I be able to enroll sooner and

get more out of the course with a more suitable machine such as an

Aprilia RS250 or Kawasaki Ninja 250? I will sincerely appreciate your

answering my questions, and I look forward to your reply.

Guest Guest_Stuman
I assume, however, that you would require some degree of street-riding experience to enroll in a two-day, level-one program.  Therefore, how much street riding experience do I need to enroll in a level-one course, participate safely, and begin to learn the art of track riding a motorcycle? 

I know that you use Kawasaki ZX-6Rs, which are very powerful machines that

might overwhelm a beginner.  Thus, would I be able to enroll sooner and

get more out of the course with a more suitable machine such as an

Aprilia RS250 or Kawasaki Ninja 250?

The basic guideline for attending the school goes as follows. You should be comfortable operating a motorcycle without attention on the basic operations such as throttle, clutch, shifting and braking. As long as you can ride comfortably without thinking much about these basic controls, we do not require extensive street riding experience.

With these basic skills you would be fine attending a single day school or a two-day camp. During a two-day camp you would actually do level 1 on the first day and level two on the second. The advantage of a two-day camp is you ride a lot more and get much more individual attention, as the student to instructor ratio is better.

The ZX6 is a great bike to learn on, it?s up to you to twist the throttle and how hard :) If you think it would be a bit much you could use a smaller bike such as the ones you mentioned at our single day schools.