Buying A Track Bike

Hi everyone,

I only do a few track days per year on my road bike.

I'd like to do few more and even get into bracket racing.

I've ridden any types of bikes and must admit I prefer twins over inlines – however I've never ridden an inline on the track before – only road.

Basically I have a very small budget of $3000 max.

The best laps I've set were actually on a...don't laugh... Hyosung 650. Which is possibly the slowest bike I've ridden on a circuit.

The friendly power delivery and flatter bars meant I just had more confidence cornering and braking latter. basically I held much more speed.

However, this bike did have better spec suspension upgrades than anything I've ridden.

The bikes I've found so-far that fit within my budget are:

99 SV650 $2200

06 SV650 $2500 (needs slight repair but this I can do)

93 CBR 600 $1900

99 R6 $3000 (full track ready – but I have no idea of it's history)

Most importantly I want a reasonably reliable bike that I can find parts for - genuine or aftermarket - and a bike that I feel confident on power-wise. Something that's not going to intimate me as I feed power on.

I'd appreciate your thoughts and comments.

Thank you.

Hi everyone,

I only do a few track days per year on my road bike.

I'd like to do few more and even get into bracket racing.

I've ridden any types of bikes and must admit I prefer twins over inlines – however I've never ridden an inline on the track before – only road.

Basically I have a very small budget of $3000 max.

The best laps I've set were actually on a...don't laugh... Hyosung 650. Which is possibly the slowest bike I've ridden on a circuit.

The friendly power delivery and flatter bars meant I just had more confidence cornering and braking latter. basically I held much more speed.

However, this bike did have better spec suspension upgrades than anything I've ridden.

The bikes I've found so-far that fit within my budget are:

99 SV650 $2200

06 SV650 $2500 (needs slight repair but this I can do)

93 CBR 600 $1900

99 R6 $3000 (full track ready – but I have no idea of it's history)

Most importantly I want a reasonably reliable bike that I can find parts for - genuine or aftermarket - and a bike that I feel confident on power-wise. Something that's not going to intimate me as I feed power on.

I'd appreciate your thoughts and comments.

Thank you.

I know alot of people who have a SV650 for a track bike , lots of upgrades available , good torque , not too much power to get you into trouble, but still competitive. Think I would be looking at the 06. Nothing like a dedicated track bike !!

Nothing wrong with a small budget for a bike, I bought my YZF600 (1994) for 2k, spent another 1-1.5k on "upgrades" like track fairings and suspension. Best thing I could have done, it is strong motor wise, easily tuned/serviced and to find parts but most importantly not to powerful to overwhelm me whilst I learn the art of track riding.

My only advice, go with what "feels" right for you but was popular for its time, if you like twins then that is a good starting point but how popular are they? If they were more popular the more readily available second hand parts should be (I know I need them due to me "learning" smile.gif ).

The 06 sounds good but why is it so cheap compared to the 99? Always wary!

Which ever way you go there will be plenty of competition for you out there in the various race categories.

Not sure I have help any but most importantly enjoy it once you decide!!!

The SV has been around forever, tons of parts, easier on tires, cheap and they really do work well (had to chase a lot of them).

Also maintenance will just be less with a twin over a 4.

CF

I'd say go for the SV, you need to spend a bit on suspensiosn upgrades really, but unless you're on really fast tracks then it can cut the mustard. Some say the 99 model has the better frame, but the 06 will be easier to do the GSXR fork swap if you want to go that route. If the front end is stock, then I would if I were you, much better forks and brakes, sell your old bits off, and almost break even.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm pretty sure one of the US coaches (correct me if I'm wrong any of you), Josh Galster who now races in the AMA, learnt his craft on an SV650. For sure a good, reliable, cost effective way of getting your riding fundamentals sorted.

Enjoy! And keep us up to date with how you get one with it.

I have a friend who races a Hyosung in CCS. He's a very good rider. He could only afford 1 bike, so he ditched the 600. He said he likes the Hyosung too much. Lots of people race the SV. You'll find plenty of parts.

There are a few ways to go with the front end, depends how much fiddling you're into. A complete GSXR front end will go on, it's a bit easier with the later SV but also doable with the earlier one (pre-2003), although I think it might be a better match for earlier GSXRs e.g. SRAD which have RWU forks but they're cartridge and have 4-pot brake calipers unlike the SV's sliding 2-pots and damper rod forks. USDs with raidla mount calipers are of course the best but really anything will be an improvement. If you want or need to retain the standard forks (depends on racing rules), then stiffer linear springs are a must. You can also add emulators, which take over the compression damping, these are good but the springs are the biggest weakness. All the stock stuff (springs aside) is adequate, although on bumpy bits the forks do get a bit confused, this is where the emulators (or cartridge forks) really show their mettle. Plenty of info on svrider.com and sv650.org forums, write-ups, photos etc. The rear shock isn't too bad but doesn't seem to have much of a long life. Various options there but watch out for spring weights, the SV needs a heavy rear spring and most GSXR shocks are far too soft so you can't just whack one of those in.

There are a few ways to go with the front end, depends how much fiddling you're into. A complete GSXR front end will go on, it's a bit easier with the later SV but also doable with the earlier one (pre-2003), although I think it might be a better match for earlier GSXRs e.g. SRAD which have RWU forks but they're cartridge and have 4-pot brake calipers unlike the SV's sliding 2-pots and damper rod forks. USDs with raidla mount calipers are of course the best but really anything will be an improvement. If you want or need to retain the standard forks (depends on racing rules), then stiffer linear springs are a must. You can also add emulators, which take over the compression damping, these are good but the springs are the biggest weakness. All the stock stuff (springs aside) is adequate, although on bumpy bits the forks do get a bit confused, this is where the emulators (or cartridge forks) really show their mettle. Plenty of info on svrider.com and sv650.org forums, write-ups, photos etc. The rear shock isn't too bad but doesn't seem to have much of a long life. Various options there but watch out for spring weights, the SV needs a heavy rear spring and most GSXR shocks are far too soft so you can't just whack one of those in.

Thanks for this info.

I've not ridden the bike but just having a look and sit on the bike the front end seems like it's going to be too soft for the track – so yesterday I spent the day taking them out and replacing the 'filthy' fluid with 15w fresh stuff. I also swapped the pads for sintered metal gear ones. I quickly tool the bike for a spin around the block, bit hard to test anything but I think I'll need to get the stiffer springs like you've just mentioned. The brakes aren't the best either, but I'm not the best rider so I'll upgrade these areas as my riding improves. I've heard that a '04 ZX6R (636 model) is a good replacement for the rear shock and isn't too hard to do. Just need to slightly lift the battery box. I'm no professional mechanic but I've enjoyed working on the bike, although I (and my mate) triple check everything and probably spend longer than we need to everything has ran relatively smoothly and nothing too difficult... yet :)

• 1 month later...

Yep one of the ZX6 shock fits, I think there are a few variations, but it is the right length and has the same spring weigh (ish), check out svrider.com or sv650.org forums and do a search. I've never raced but the first time I took the SV on the track it had stock springs and braking was a bit, erm, interesting!