Helmet And Vision

I found that I had an issue with my Shoei X-11 at Talladega GP this past November.

I ended up putting a shop towel between the liner and the inner shell of the helmet so I could see! The Shoei is a nice helmet, but I have to wonder if it always fit this way and I never noticed it?

Deadsmiley that might just be the helmet "broke in" gradually and you didn't notice it until something made you put attention to your vision: this thread, a scenario on track, whatever the case, well done that you've identified it! Grab a brand new one in the shop and try it on, bet it feels a little different to your worn in one.

FlyingV, can you describe the vestibular system and the impact to plugging the ears. Is there potential that track riders wearing ear plugs could be causing a decrease in the ability to sense lean accurately? Sure I wouldn't ride without 'plugs but it's an interesting point you've brought up (a while ago - sorry, didnt notice it before)

• 1 year later...

Im bringing this thread back because it is extreemly revelant. I found myself lacking visability when looking up from a tuck and really having to wrench my neck and lift my shoulders to get any view looking up. On my own I added foam to the crown of my bucket. After reading this thread Im gonna re do it with sticky foam and build it up a tad more. My original modification helped a ton but it has compressed and I need to use different material. I dont have a freaky shaped head and most mediums fit well. I just need to get the lid higher on my brow.

Im bringing this thread back because it is extreemly revelant. I found myself lacking visability when looking up from a tuck and really having to wrench my neck and lift my shoulders to get any view looking up. On my own I added foam to the crown of my bucket. After reading this thread Im gonna re do it with sticky foam and build it up a tad more. My original modification helped a ton but it has compressed and I need to use different material. I dont have a freaky shaped head and most mediums fit well. I just need to get the lid higher on my brow.

I've done that as well. Just make sure your foam doesn't cover up the vent holes at the top of the helmet where alot of these channel air through. ..

FlyingV, can you describe the vestibular system and the impact to plugging the ears. Is there potential that track riders wearing ear plugs could be causing a decrease in the ability to sense lean accurately? Sure I wouldn't ride without 'plugs but it's an interesting point you've brought up (a while ago - sorry, didnt notice it before)

Since we've resurrected this old thread I'll offer a novice answer to this year old question. The vestibular system is about sensing movement, balance, and orientation in space. The main systems components are the canals in the inner ear. Fluid moves around the canals and this gets sensed, translated, and transmitted to the brain. The vestibular system should be completely unaffected by ear plugs - unless you've jammed them into your inner ear, in which case I think you'll have other problems on your mind.

My vestibular system was badly affected when I crashed in Aug 2010 - I impacted head first. There were two components to my head injury: vestibular damage and brain damage. Again in novice terms, if the vestibular system works correctly it then transmits data through the cerebellum which then give you feelings of movement, balance, and orientation in space. My cerebellum was the area of brain damage so not only was the vestibular system not processing correctly, the cerebellum was not interpreting correctly. Basically I was in a near constant state of feeling like I was moving (falling) or that the room was spinning even when I was sitting completely still. Anyway, it took more than a year and a half and multiple rounds of therapy/rehabilitation to get my system something near to normal again.