Gloves

Questions: What gloves do you guys have/use, and like most?

2nd question: anyone had success with getting good life out of the gloves?

Problem: we sweat in our gear so much that both the leathers and the gloves after a half season are getting thin and dry. We have done a number of things, even washing the leathers to get the salt out, recondition them extensively, but haven't come back to near as good as before.

Back to the gloves question though, any success out there treating? If so, with what?

Let us know.

CF

Hi, Cobie: I'm somewhat partial to Held gloves, and have followed the care regimen from their website. My old style "Steve" gloves purchased in September of 2007 are in good shape following their instructions. I've used that for some Cortech "Scarab" gloves and a summer Held glove with good results, also.

Not sure if this is much help for you...

I use my Hestra gloves most, they are comfy and suitable for our typially cool climate. My mot expensive gloves are made by Halvarsson, very well protected for track use and ventilated. Used for warmer days, but despite pre-curved fingers and soft leather they are not very comfy; they cause pressure points between my fingers and grips. I also have a set from Akito; very thin and very supple so cooler than the vented Halvarssons, even. Protection is likely not great. Since they are mostly white with tan, green and blue accents they tend to see limited use blink.giflaugh.gif I also have Pro-biker mitten-gloves (three finger gloves) for weather a little cooler than the Hestra works in, and Moto-style mittens for even colder days. And heated grips biggrin.gif

I had a set of Held gloves similar to the Hestras. They cost more money and were better made and were actually waterproof in real life, not just on the label. They died when I had an unplanned encounter with a Volvo, unfortunately.

Sweat really isn't an issue for me, as you may understand - chill is a much greater concern! Instead, I tend to wear them out - or, rather, the seams split/tear after many years of use, usually inside the palms where there is extra padding added.

+1 on the Helds.

I have a pair of Held Galaxy's that is due for replacement, but only because the thread is failing. They were bought for the 2002 season, and has carried be through two minor spills on the track that killed my Dainese suit.

I absolutely love the Helds. Kangaroo leather, soft and good feeling for the levers, and still built like a tank. The Galaxy was replaced by the Phantom (link), but their top-of-the-line is now the Titan.

Downside: it ain't cheap! - and from the Held homepage it looks like they're not imported to the USA.

Kai

Opinion over here seems to be on Halvarssons as (one of) the best. Sorry not much help on maintenance though, but I'm currently using Wolf fabric gloves, they're waterproof which would probably be wrecked if you washed them in the machine, but otherwise maybe fabric would be one way as they're more washable than leather?

I use an old pair of spidi gloves, carbotech I think they are called. Not to much protection (in the good sense) and has lasted six years of trackdays, racing and streetriding including three crashes. I would buy the same gloves tomorrow if they failed on me, if only they still could be had. so don't overlook spidi (Colin Edwards choice, and he must wear/sweat them out since he rarely crashes)

Ronni

Good to hear this so far, still hoping some more info comes in on these, get our own little bit of information on them.

One of the coaches did road test a set of our A/stars and they worked very well. He hit his hand (didn't even know it), but there was a plastic scrape on the asphalt(tarmac). Wasn't even bruised the next day, he was very impressed.

Others please chime in: what do you wear, how does it work, any one with success on this sweat issue?

CF

I've had a few different gloves in the past, but by far the best I've tried is held phantom.

I LOVE them. The kangaroo seems to handle moisture better; can't beat the 12 month warranty; and I couldn't ask for more from the 'repair service' - $25 or so to replace a finger, etc.

Down in SoCal, it can get a bit on the warm side, which, after 2 years, all that sweat (and rain) hasn't had nearly the same affect, as the other gloves I tired did. The phantoms were the highest regarded pair when I asked around.

Others please chime in: what do you wear, how does it work, any one with success on this sweat issue?

CF

I have a pair of Racer High End gloves (Racer is the actual brand name, made in Austria), which I've used for 4 years. I haven't done anything special to take care of them but I'm not riding as often as you guys, although they have seen a lot of hot weather. They fit my hands better than a A* pair of winter gloves I have.

I bought some Dainese when I started riding track 3 years ago and hate them. Luckily I can't get them to wear out. It's killing me. I need an excuse to buy a new pair. I just started dragging my hand on the ground, and think I can get rid of them soon, at least the left one anyway.

Held Phantom's have served me well...seem to handle the sweat well...but they are expensive. I had the Dainese Hellfires and they only lasted a year before the started to come apart. I have not had an off with either brand, so I can only say I prefer the Held's.

I use leather conditioner made for expensive leather boots that seems to work well.

Good feedback on the gloves, wouldn't mind a bit more from the other guys.

I think I'm just going to start conditioning them like my suit.

CF

• 2 months later...

I have had my Alpinestars GP-Pro gloves for a couple of years now. I use them on the street and track. I did 8 track days with them this year and 4 the previous year.

They are getting a bit worn (white bits aren't really white anymore), but still in good shape.

The thing I like about them the most is how comfortable they were from the very start. Pre-bent fingers and all.

I don't perform any "care" on my gloves. I just make sure they're not balled up when they're drying out because of mold or what have you. I also don't put them in the sun so they don't dry out. While I'm at the track I keep them in the shade to minimize the dry/moist/dry cycles that could also wear them out prematurely.

I see many types of gloves that you guys use but which glove gives the best protection? This is the first thing I look at when purchasing gloves. I currently use Alpine Stars racing gloves. They have good built in protection around the wrist to protect the Scaphoid, excellent padding on the outside of the palm and strategically put protection on the back side of the hand. These gloves are very well made.

I see many types of gloves that you guys use but which glove gives the best protection? This is the first thing I look at when purchasing gloves. I currently use Alpine Stars racing gloves. They have good built in protection around the wrist to protect the Scaphoid, excellent padding on the outside of the palm and strategically put protection on the back side of the hand. These gloves are very well made.

Hey I would say knox handroids are the best.I also have the gp tech gloves, which I think you are referring to but much prefer the feel and levels of protection in knox.The knox has these polythene pucks that act as sliders instead of thicker leather which can survive a crash but due to the impact force blow open the stitching,this however changes with the pucks which slide and disperse the energy and slide with out hooking on the asphalt.The feel is better as well as its kangaroo leather which is thinner and lighter than cow hide leather and 50% more abrasive resistant. Unfortunately the down fall for these gloves is that it doesn't have the dtc that the a-stars has,the attachment between pink and second to last finger.I feel the exo skeleton I believe is more protective than the a-stars knuckle protection.Also the a-star has more venting.All in all they are both great but knox for me though i have them bothrolleyes.gifrolleyes.gifrolleyes.giftongue.gifcool.gif.Watch this video it may help.

For what it's worth, I'm on my first pair of track/race gloves, they are REV'IT Jerez and I am very happy with them. While I cannot speak to their crash worthiness, supposedly they are the same gloves Randy De Puniet wears so that was a selling point. That said my main reason for going with them is I have wide hands but short fingers (proportionally). I have tried several brands including AlpineStars, Held, Lee Parks Designs and none of them fit. My first pair of REV'ITs were their Kelvin winter gloves (on a recommendation from a Revzilla rep) and I'm still very happy with them so I gave the Jerez a shot. So far so good.

As for sweat treatment, I use an automotive leather conditioner from Zaino but I don't put anwhere near the use on them that the riding coaches do. If you find a good treatment let us know!

• 4 weeks later...

Good feedback on the gloves, wouldn't mind a bit more from the other guys.

I think I'm just going to start conditioning them like my suit.

CF

G'Day Cobie,

how on earth are you poor buggers going to buy Held gloves?

Well, you could, but then you wouldn't eat for a week.

I've heard what Scrooge pays you blokes,,,

Don't be silly, we are all millionaires (that, or fanatics :blink: ).

Zaino, I'll see if I can find that. Came across some beeswax stuff the other day, thinking of trying that. My gloves got pretty dry about halfway through the year last year.

Seems we put our gear to levels just about unheard of anywhere else, in terms of how much they can get sweat in, w/out a break.

CF

Don't be silly, we are all millionaires (that, or fanatics :blink: ).

Zaino, I'll see if I can find that. Came across some beeswax stuff the other day, thinking of trying that. My gloves got pretty dry about halfway through the year last year.

Seems we put our gear to levels just about unheard of anywhere else, in terms of how much they can get sweat in, w/out a break.

CF

Poor buggers, tell you what, coz I love the CSS Family so much(no, really, I do, might even start a new thread about it) I'll bring over a traditional Aussie concoction, it's made from desert Goanna fat, Emu oil and native beeswax and give it to you at Willow Springs.

It's been used for decades in Aus, its a perfect leather conditioner.

Works a treat.