Brake/down

Keith Code

Nothing like a too tall gear when you gas it..and having to downshift mid corner (lame)

If you do that on the track at a 40 or 45 degree lean angle I can almost guarantee that you'll find yourself on the ground very fast. On public streets there is even less grip because your tires wont be (or shouldn't be :P ) up to temperature and the road surface isn't as well taken care of. I've had the rear end step out downshifting into 3rd gear on the street while the bike was just slightly leaned over and ended up "backing it in" to the corner and I was only at about 70% of the bikes braking potential. Besides being caught off guard and scaring the ###### out of me it wasn't a big deal unless you let it get to far away from you. ALWAYS make sure your shifting is done before you even make the initial turn in. However if your just riding around close to the speed limit on the street it doesn't matter much.

I never had a problem with the standard 1 down, 5 up shifting on my bike in street shoes but after I got the boots that changed a bit. It didn't make a big difference in the sitting up position but when your crouched under the windshield trying to up shift its harder to get your foot under the shifter so its easier just to push down with an inverted shifter. Depending on the bike its a very easy modification and I just leave it inverted.

Best to get the shifting done (when possible) not leaned over.

Most have found that GP shift is better after they get used to it. I even have one motor cop as a coach (rides for a living) that asked to keep street pattern. One day he was forced to ride GP, came back 1-2 sessions later said, "I'm sold, let's keep it!".

CF

yeah that would be a total error on the track I'm sure. I understand how that will cause the back tire to come around. I should have clarified. I meant that I didnt have enough torque to exit the corner..Im sure I wasn't in danger of backing it in. Are you talking locked up rear or over spinning rear?

Nothing like a too tall gear when you gas it..and having to downshift mid corner (lame)

If you do that on the track at a 40 or 45 degree lean angle I can almost guarantee that you'll find yourself on the ground very fast. On public streets there is even less grip because your tires wont be (or shouldn't be :P ) up to temperature and the road surface isn't as well taken care of. I've had the rear end step out downshifting into 3rd gear on the street while the bike was just slightly leaned over and ended up "backing it in" to the corner and I was only at about 70% of the bikes braking potential. Besides being caught off guard and scaring the ###### out of me it wasn't a big deal unless you let it get to far away from you. ALWAYS make sure your shifting is done before you even make the initial turn in. However if your just riding around close to the speed limit on the street it doesn't matter much.

I never had a problem with the standard 1 down, 5 up shifting on my bike in street shoes but after I got the boots that changed a bit. It didn't make a big difference in the sitting up position but when your crouched under the windshield trying to up shift its harder to get your foot under the shifter so its easier just to push down with an inverted shifter. Depending on the bike its a very easy modification and I just leave it inverted.

I should have though about my first responce better because I made it sound like if you downshift mid corner you'd fall over instantly :P . I meant to just state that its pretty risky when your riding aggressive.

You mentioned downshifting mid corner which I was trying to say simply is that you shouldn't have to downshift mid corner. If your already at a high lean angle you should have the throttle on slightly to keep about a 40% load on the front tire and 60% on the rear tire which keeps the bike stable. If you downshift mid corner you could either overload the front tire causing a low side or you could lock up the rear tire for a moment and cause a high side wreck. So its just easier to make sure your in the right gear before you get there.

I downshift mid corner all the time on the street but only because I'm not leaned over far enough for it to cause a problem. If anyone has something to correct please do so. I Have a lot to learn myself and I'm not trying to be Mr. Right.

575--

Just regarding the downshifting, a good thing to know (maybe you already do)--the only sure way to over-rev an engine is to downshift it into the redline, it's possible even with a slipper clutch.

CF

• 1 year later...

Any news on the thread for clutchless shifting? I'm happy upshifting without the clutch but am having trouble getting my downshifts smooth.

Ollie

Ollie,

If you type in "clutchless downshift" the the Search box there in the upper right corner, you'll get 13 threads.

The thread Clutchless Down Shifting? should give you what you're looking for.

Kai

Cheers Kai

Should have really bothered to check the forum before posting that. Not sure I'm a subscriber to the clutchless downshift yet but time will tell.

Ollie

Cheers Kai

Should have really bothered to check the forum before posting that. Not sure I'm a subscriber to the clutchless downshift yet but time will tell.

Ollie

I'll be interested to hear what you do. Those that figured out how to do it correctly (or get coached well enough) I have found like it, and in a way its simpler. But not all for sure.

CF

Cheers Kai

Ollie

I'll be interested to hear what you do. Those that figured out how to do it correctly (or get coached well enough) I have found like it, and in a way its simpler. But not all for sure.

CF

Just from reading about it, I have been practicing enough that I shift cluchless up and down every shift when Riding at hwy speeds. Riding my dirt bike, I started experimenting and found how easy it was and then moved it over to my street bike. It took some practice and I still don't get it right every time, but I sure do like the way the bike feels when I'm riding aggressively.

Aaron

• 2 weeks later...

After spending a bit of time on clutchless downshifts I think I'm converted, well sort of. I personally don't see any advantages of it when road riding, unless you ride like a tt racer, on the other hand on track it is something I would definitely use. I had no idea you could get downchanges to be so smooth without using the clutch. With enough practice so that it becomes second nature I can see it freeing up plenty of attention to use elsewhere that would otherwise be used on the clutch + blip. Just need to get back on a track, now where did I plant that money tree?

Ollie

After spending a bit of time on clutchless downshifts I think I'm converted, well sort of. I personally don't see any advantages of it when road riding, unless you ride like a tt racer, on the other hand on track it is something I would definitely use. I had no idea you could get downchanges to be so smooth without using the clutch. With enough practice so that it becomes second nature I can see it freeing up plenty of attention to use elsewhere that would otherwise be used on the clutch + blip. Just need to get back on a track, now where did I plant that money tree?

Ollie

Whee!!! Another convert :)

CF

• 2 years later...

Yo Keef!

I hope my good natured greeting doesn't get me kicked out School. I know I remember reading, in your own hand if I'm not mistaken, that good natured kidding is a valued part of the forums and not to take them to heart. My respect for you is unsurpassed, maybe equalled but not exceeded.

I had a few questions to bring to School in NY in August (26-7) one of the most important, I now understand after reading the article, was how to do this very thing properly. I've been avoiding it because I'm ticked off at myself for continually pogoing the bike and because I thought it didn't really matter off the track or at least when coming to a stop. I hope I haven't done damage to my gearbox in the process of downshifting at rest.

The more important heart of the matter is how much attention it robs me of and how exhausting this kind of riding is. NYC metro is busy enough without adding to the chaos.

Now I have the tools to maybe correct this before I get to School.

Thanks Again,

Nic