2011 Motogp - Predictions?

I very much enjoyed the Laguna Seca race yesterday. This is the first time I've watched a race broadcast from that track and I was amazed watching the riders going through the corkscrew. Even my wife was impressed with that video footage. If CSS trains there next year I may have to find money to go, because it'd be worth it just to ride that crazy corner :)

Now that we are mid-season I was curious to compare our early predictions to the actual results (at least the results so far). What I found quite interesting is we have the same top 7 this year as finished the top 7 in the final standings for 2010. Of course the running order this year is slightly different with Stoner and Dovisioso up, and Lorenzo and Rossi down, but it is the same 7 riders nonetheless.

My expectation for the rest of the season is Spies will pull ahead of Rossi, and Pedrosa will pull ahead of Dovizioso, but barring any major injuries or equipment failures I think Stoner is looking poised to win the championship and Lorenzo will finish second. Although Lorenzo has squeezed some added speed from the Yamaha (and Spies also to some extent), I just don't see Lorenzo having the edge to overcome Stoner. Stoner isn't always perfect but I think he has his form and will win overall.

My last thought is will Simoncelli ever get his act together? He clearly has talent and can ride fast but at the same time he certainly seems to make very rash race decisions. Five crashes (admittedly one of which he returned and finished 5th - an almost unbelievable recovery) in 10 races - that is not good math for success.

I'm with you Brad, Stoner is definitely proving that his riding on the Duc was inspired and now on a more friendly bike he is proving to be extremely tough. It will be interesting to see if Rossi's developmental contributions will bare fruit next year. Regardless of what they try to say this year is being written off to development (do you say GP11.1 or GP12 beta?wink.gif) and if Spies will build on the momentum of his first win in the premier class. And yes Marko is a total question mark. He is damn fast and has plenty of potential but none of that matters if you cant finish a race on two wheels! Next year should prove to be interesting with the addition of the 1000s and the claiming rule (that should make for some sparks).

And I also watched the race with some non-race fans and the shots through the corkscrew were impressive to all. I need to ride that track...maybe I should do a class out there next year...tongue.gif

Best,

Carey

• 2 weeks later...

...just wish Lorenzo would slow down and stop making me sweat...

Ask and you shall receive? :P Interesting race yesterday...

Can I go ahead and say that unless something magical happens with those Ducatis that next year is going to suck for them as well? They aren't even matching the 800 times From Brno and Yamaha and Honda are already past that. Ducati has been testing those big bikes and new frames for some time now.

Can I go ahead and say that unless something magical happens with those Ducatis that next year is going to suck for them as well? They aren't even matching the 800 times From Brno and Yamaha and Honda are already past that. Ducati has been testing those big bikes and new frames for some time now.

You may very well be right, things don't look good for the boys from Bologna. But then again magic is what we watch for right? :P

• 2 weeks later...

I have a feeling that the 11.1 is for the chassis and suspension

the 12 beta for the engine alone...

not letting the competition know the whole picture is strategy too...

• 1 month later...

Well, the suspense is over and Casey Stoner is the World Champion 2011 after winning the Australian Grand Prix - his home GP - on his birthday, no less!

Lorenzo is most likely to secure the 2nd spot, even without being able to ride the Malaysian GP due to injuries.

3rd spot is where the fun beings - there's just 4 points between Dovizioso and Pedrosa.

Simoncelli and Rossi are tied at 139 points, and with the right amount of luck pass Spies (at 156 points) in the table for 5th spot.

Interestingly Rossi, Burgess and Ducati have been unable to "fix" the difficult-to-ride-fast GP11 bike, despite their amassed knowledge. Why?

Here's an interesting statistic: in his entire G.P. career (125, 250, 500, MotoGP), Rossi has never ever finished lower than as #3 at the end of the season - and this year he's tied for the #6 spot!

And he's only been on the podium just once this year - a 3rd place in France. Last year, Rossi had 10 podium finishes, in spite of breaking his leg and being sidelined for 4 races.

I don't think it's "just" Rossi, because virtually nobody but Stoner has been able to win with the Duke - and yet, they (Ducati) put out some of the greatest Superbikes: Ducati has won the constructor's championship 9 out of 12 times since 2000, and 6 rider becase SBK world champion on a Ducati during the same 12 years.

So what the heck is going on? (pardon my french)

Archived