Can't Believe The Stuff I Read (Wera Forum)

Weld up the steering stem to the frame so that the wheel cannot be turned, just pointing straight ahead, and ask Kyleto do a lap at racing speed. Or any speed :D

...or just hop on the No B.S. Bike at the School and see how easy it is to turn.

Rain

I think that we sometimes jump to conclusions. I read what Kyle wrote. In fairness to Kyle he states "because initiating the turn in is definitely going to require some input through the handlebars. But, initiating the turn in is less than 1% of completing a turn". I think the key word is "completing" the turn. Kyle is young an exuberant. He is also very, very fast!

Please consider the geometry of the bike. How do you change the geometry of the motorcycle to turn faster in a corner? If we shorten the length of the bike, and transfer as much weight as possible to the inside of the bike would we shorten the radius of the turn? And if we shorten the radius and get it pointed to the exit with les lean angle, can't we get on the throttle sooner?

If Kyle can ride a 600cc bike at Roebling Road and come with in 1/10th of the 1000cc lap record there then I will be more than happy to hear what he has to say. Maybe some of what he says is lost in translation but all of what he says should not be ignored. B)

If you break it into time and distance, initiating the steering may be only 1%. However, it is the most important 1% because without it, you are not going to be able to change direction. In fact, with a locked steering you cannot even remain upright for very long. So the importance of counter-steering is huge regardless of how little time it takes. I'm sure you'll need to master more about riding in order to set lap records, but you could be going pretty well without doing much else than using basic handlebar movements in the form of countersteering to initiate the corner and then balance the bike by how you point (or not) the front wheel. OTOH, you cannot go well at all without countersteering.

"If you break it into time and distance, initiating the steering may be only 1%. However, it is the most important 1%". I agree with you. :)

Archived