Anatomy Of Improvement

Last May I signed up for CSS level 1. I had never been to the track and my motorcycle education consisted of MSF class required to get my license. Even though I had been riding for years I was woefully ignorant of what makes a motorcycle work with it's rider. After taking level 1 I immediately signed up for level 2 in August and last week I completed levels 3 & 4 at the two day camp. I took the advice of many and sprung for the track photos, primarily as trophies (and possibly to impress the occasional young lady should the opportunity present). That said I thought it would be interesting to look at my progress through the levels by comparing pictures of the same turns (I took all 4 levels at Virginia International Raceway).

Here's me at Turn 7:

Level 1:

T7lvl1.jpg

Level 2

T7lvl2.jpg

Level 3/4

T7lvl3.jpg

Turn 5:

Level 2

T5alvl2.jpg

Level 3&4

T5alvl3.jpg

I know I am still very much a neophyte in the art of cornering however Keith and crew were able to teach even this old dog a few new tricks. smile.gif

Quite an improvement! Maybe I'll see you at a track day.

Great improvement. Incredible changes both small and big. You look so much more comfortable in your newer photos. I love seeing the progression. Thanks for sharing.

Yeah looks great, I see you too have noticed that the tank on the S1000RR is perfectly shaped to act as an arm-rest when cornering. I like looking back through my old track photos (even though the oldest are still under a year old) and seeing the improvement I made, I was going round almost vertically thinking I was within millimetres of touching down, funny how your perceptions soon change and you re-adjust once you break down those barriers.

Thanks guys. Yes there is quite an improvement and I do now feel much more comfortable on the bike. A little education is a powerful thing. I'm looking forward to taking what I have learned and continuing my improvement.

And I did notice the tank arm rest on that S1000RR, once I had that knee planted and stopped riding like a sack of potatoes on the bike. :D

Next up is refining my visual skills. At least that is something I can practice on the road without breaking and (major) laws. And strengthening my thigh muscles, maybe I need a thigh master...

Archived