(Another) Knee Down Question

Hawk862

Hi all,

Something that has been bugging me with regards to the "knee down" utopia that we all strive to achieve.

I've seen some riders, in their attempt to get a knee down, hang so far off the bike, that there is no way their outside leg can be maintaining proper contact with the tank and they must be using the bars to hang on. However, for all intesive purposes they are getting their knee down, albeit, negatively affecting their speed and stabilty. I've chosen not to go down this road to try and get a knee down.

I've been through levels 1,2 and 3 at CSS (really enjoyed it), and one thing I remember being told was one cheek off the seat was plenty, as anymore than that and you would start to lose contact with the outside leg on the tank and find it difficult to use the lower body to maintain contact with the bike and be locked in using only the legs. I remember when I did try on the static bike to be completely off the seat I wasn't locked in at all and had to rely on weight on the bars to not fall off (which we all know is a no-no).

So my question is this, with just the one cheek off the bike, my footpegs or my toes seem to hit the tarmac before my knee does (both on an upright bike and a supersport). Am I doing something completely incorrect, or have I mis-interpreted something?

I've put in a photo of myself at Silverstone recently which kind of shows what I mean, both on the Z1000 (my main bike), and a BMW (which I hired).

Any comments would be appreciated!

Cheers

post-22340-0-07430700-1318271472_thumb.jpg

post-22340-0-05940300-1318271484_thumb.jpg

Hey Hawk

From those pictures especially on the S1000RR, it seems you need to get the top half of your body more off the bike.

Point your elbow downwards into the corner and try to kiss the mirror if possible.

It helps getting your top half into position if it makes sense.

I got my knee down without even noticing......

Just practice and more practice mate!

You well on your way!

Check these pics:

The top half of their bodies are almost in line off the bike, and looks like they are kissing those imaginary mirrors.

Your lean angle looks spot on, maybe get a little more off the bike, grip the tanks with the outside foot, remember the 2 step.....

3r644kd8t47z2ovy6p.jpg

o658zqnbp5tuzz28pzk.jpg

The pegs on the Z are set quite low so its not surprising that they touch down early.

In both cases it looks to me as if you need to tuck your feet in a bit more this will help reduce getting your boots down.

If you are still getting your boots touching down you'll know if you are doing it right: the toe sliders will be wearing on their sides not from the bottom up.

As for body positioning moving your upper body more in line will help you be more relaxed. You could try hanging off a bit more.

Mostly though just keep running a little quicker into the bend each time and it will come to you.

I hang off less than one cheek (short legs). Often has to do with how the torso is rotated, into the turn or around the tank a bit.

Did you ride the Lean Bike?

Best,

CF

..The pegs on the Z are set quite low so its not surprising that they touch down early...

I had the same issue with my K1200R so I upgraded the rearsets (went with Sato Racing as they were the only ones I could find for the KR). They improved my knee lock and pivot point immeasurably and as an added bonus they shift much smoother as well.

Ride safe,

Carey

Thanks for ther reponses all - I'll ceratinly keep in mind to try and "kiss" the mirrors :)

@Cobie - The lean bike wasn't available at Silverstone when I did my training at Silverstone :(

@Carey - Rearsets sound like something worth trying in any case. Were they easy enough to fit?

Cheers

Dave

Thanks for ther reponses all - I'll ceratinly keep in mind to try and "kiss" the mirrors :)

@Cobie - The lean bike wasn't available at Silverstone when I did my training at Silverstone :(

@Carey - Rearsets sound like something worth trying in any case. Were they easy enough to fit?

Cheers

Dave

If you were Level 2, did they do Static Lean Bike with you?

Best,

Cobie

• 2 months later...

Try using the ball of your foot on the peg, heel in towards the bike, if you are not already. This should help with the toe problem. As for the knee not reaching the ground, try sitting a little further away from the tank, this will help having your body closer to the bike and your torso in line too when your bum is off the bike, this in turn will not have you uneven and will not affect the stability of the bike.

Read an interesting article by Andy Ibbott in Fast Bikes where he stated that instead of worrying how one looks on the bike, one should worry about where to look. If you look for/at the right things/places you will ride well and look good - and probably eventually get a knee down. But if you try to look cool chances are you are missing your lines - or worse - and end up anything but cool.

Sorry, off topic. As you were.

Archived