2 Stroke Supermoto

gogogusgus

As opposed to riding something esle? Good 2-stroke 80's can be fun, but there are lots of other bikes that'd be a bit more versatile, that's my .02 cents.

CF

I should provide context from a posting on a SuMo site:

I said:

1. So, after big-binning the R1100s in 2009 I'm on a quest for atomic fundamentals ... hence the BadCraftsmanBlamesHisTools jag.
  2. With the Ninja250 the plan on track is cornerspeed, turn exit.
  3. I've also wondered about a 2str ... with the aim to train like a little GPRU kiddie, basics basics basics ... and winter elementary school parking drills towards throttle control for next season.

Restless Lips said:

More power to you! I learned more in one season of riding that 85 than I did 3 years of riding a 600RR. Sometimes re-starting your learning on a much smaller bike can teach you so much about control and making the most out of a small amount of power. I used to dream about bigger sportbikes and "going fast." I now have 3 bikes all 250cc or under and have never been faster or in more control.

anim_coffee.gif

blog notes on 2strokes

A lot of folks find road racing value sliding around on little dirt bikes. For this stuff, ATGATT! It's slippery out there.

Astonishes me when I see guys wearing minimal gear!

CF

Haha - that thing looks like a real hoot!! biggrin.gif

If you want a 2-stroke I would say yes, go for it. If we're just talking motards in general I would say absolutely yes. Just about everyone you would ask here in Australia would say to get a dirt bike and get used to the feel of sliding & traction. I wish I could have been riding a dirt bike since I was a kid, but not everyone has the opportunity or means. Anyway - I started off on a GSX-R600, ending up on a GSX-R1000 now. Starting off like that - you're in the deep end right away. I'd say it's definitely not ideal, now I've seen the error of my ways I wish I had started on something else, but try telling a young guy who spent his childhood and teenage years dreaming of sportsbikes that he shouldn't have one. laugh.giftongue.gif

But it's never too late to set things right - that's my motto! At the start of the year I picked up an XR400 motard, and I wish I had done it so much sooner! It has to be the best fun you can have on the streets and around town (without being on a sportsbike and doing silly go-to-jail type speeds). It's so light and with some nice Conti supermoto tyres on it's a real eye-opener just what you can do on a bike. Best of all it's easy to ride, the bike is so capable but it's also easy to exploit that on the street, and you almost end up feeling like Rossi. tongue.gif

My thoughts - because of the light weight and longer swingarm any little slides are very controllable - so from that point of view I think it's an easy way to get the feeling for sliding and traction (without scaring yourself silly at triple digit speeds on a sportsbike!)

As far as 2-stroke, I can't really comment there because I've never had one. I want one though! biggrin.gif Next up on my shopping list is an Aprilia RS250, gotta have a smoker... (A CR500 motard would be the most excellent kind of crazy fun I can imagine, but we can't make every dream a reality otherwise we'll have no dreams left, right?)

I think any bike requires good throttle control - will you learn more throttle control on the CR80? I don't know... A different type of throttle control? Yes, definitely.

The other thing to think about is will you be able to ride it enough? Maybe it's better to get something like a cheap DRZ 400 motard so you can run around town & just do everything on it. Ride, ride, ride...

Just as I'm thinking about this I remember that Colin Edwards Texas Tornado Boot Camp uses Yamaha TT-R in 110, 125 and 230cc varieties. Check out some of their videos on YouTube - they have plenty of fun and you can bet anyone that does the camp will learn a whole bunch.

It makes good sense to practice skills on a smaller capacity bike that's easy (easier) to ride. Isn't the best way to practice or learn something to remove all distractions? And something like 120-170hp can be a fairly big distraction.

Archived