What Electronics Are You Guys Running?

So I'm planning to install an autotuner with my current PCV. Just to clear any doubt, I was talking with somebody at the last track day who was claiming the autotuner needs a laptop at the end of the session to load some acquired data into the PCV? My understanding is that the autotuner is a sort of real-time dyno that adjusts the PCV mapping automatically while I'm riding.

Timmer can you please confirm?

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I can confirm that the Autotune is real time and adjusts automatically.

What your friend is referring to is refreshing the base map based on the input from the Autotune. The Autotune itself does not update the map, it keeps its own table and applies those differences in real time. It can be beneficial to refresh your base map after a run to get your base map more inline with the current conditions. Depending on the thresholds set on the Autotune, it's possible that you could limit it's range if your base map is way off.

If that doesn't clear up what you were asking, let me know. Someone could probably reply with more technical terms also. :)

Thanks xpyrion it's very clear. It sounds like a good upgrade for the price, if using PCV. I wonder why the two products are not marketed together more often or sold together at a special price.

A few more questions:

- is the dyno still important? Let's say I change my exhaust, would the autotuner and a base map change be sufficient?

- I heard a few cracks in my engine here and there, I imagine the autotuner could help improving combustion?

- what should I tell my mechanic the target air/fuel ratio is? 13:1?

- A smoother engine, a few more ponies, better combustion. What else did I miss?

I think they are sold separate because if you have it dyno tuned, it should be good for the most part. I live in Nebraska so I ride in temperatures from 30F-100F so it is nice for the Autotune to handle temperature swings. It won't handle a swing that big but I can make separate maps for temperatures but once a season hits, I just refresh the base map if the bike feels off.

A dyno is used to make a good base map. An Autotune can make a good base map but without controlled conditions, it can be difficult to hit every point you need. If you are just mapping everyday riding, it does just fine. If you are mapping the track, you can get some outrageous values. At that point, if you don't like the values, you would have to do some manual smoothing. I have not used a dyno tune so I can't comment on the difference. I do use my bike for track and street so I do have some pretty odd values.

As for your air/fuel ratio, it depends on what you are after, power or efficiency. The Power Commander should have the base settings for your bike. I have heard they are a bit conservative. For my bike, most are 13.2, 13.6 in the cruising range and 13 in 80-100 throttle over 5K. Depending on how you handle the throttle, the popping/cracking sound will be there. Drop the throttle on the track and you should hear it. Stock exhausts tend to keep that quiet even though it is happening but you definitely will hear it on an aftermarket.

While I can't say you will get more ponies, a smoother throttle is the biggest benefit. If you have ever ridden a bike with a bad fuel map, you will understand.