Back Protectors

As I for this year picked up a *real* back protector as last year showed me first hand the foamy insert thing-a-ma-do-hicky didn't quite do that great of a job. It did some of the job but obviously didn't protect my lower back area as I was black/blue/yellow for a while.

So, I picked up a Knox Contour Race that offers full back and even tailbone protection. Tiny bit concerned now on how well it'll fit inside the suit though. :huh:

What you wearing (if anything) and why?

Hey Gorecki,

I have the Knox Aegis and have been very happy with it. I haven't tested it out in "anger" but it is comfortable and feels like good coverage. It was highly recommended by the guys at Sportbiketrackgear.com and they seem to know their gear (at least you are talking to someone who actually uses the gear when you call them). Plus it's Knox so I figured the quality was there.

As for fit, I had my suit made with measurements that were taken with me wearing it (and the corresponding chest protector) however it does seem realitively low profile (but adding both would be tight if your suit fit well to begin with).

FWIW...the Force Field was my other choice.

Best,

Carey

I have the Knox Contour Race (long) too, and had the same initial concerns as you. Turns out that it was just perfect :-)

Ah, good to know! Granted the winter hasn't been particularly good to my waistline in general so there might be more than one reason for a snug suit! :P

I went with the Knox because I've been completely content with their mits and got a really good price. Considered the Aegis too, eyeballed the ForceField as well as the A*. Seems like none of them in these price ranges are *bad*.

I'm afraid I'm still riding around with the foamy back protectory thingy in my mesh jacket. I keep looking for something more that doesn't cost a bundle, but I'd LIKE to have something that protects my back and my front. The SPIDI Defender Armor looks interesting.

I've been using a Pilot back protector (http://www.pilotleathers.com/back_protector.html) but I'm thinking of switching to something more like the Force Field chest+back setup (http://www.forcefieldbodyarmour.com/product/extreme-harness-flite/2349). I crash tested my Pilot back protector my very first track day wearing it; I think it did fine given the main the area I damaged was at the neck and above the protector.

• 1 month later...

I'm using one of the slightly older Forcefield back protectors. Why? Because I needed one for this particular weekend, only had time to visit one shop, and that is what they had in stock. Most track day organisations recommend/require back protectors for the faster groups and I was moving up so I guess riding faster is the real reason why I needed one. Thinking about adding a Forcefield chest protector as well. Probably some hip & leg protection in the future also. I've never yet crashed on track, but as the speed increases so does the potential for bad consequences if you get something wrong.

As (one of) my personal motto goes, "I don't plan to crash, but I do plan to make it home."

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

rather late on replying to this lol. just now dropped by in this section of the forum. I've been using a older version of the bionic sp vest. It doesn't have tail bone protection sadly, but my main motivation on getting it was that there's no reason to touch the velcro, just adjust it once, and from then on just zip it up, zip up your jacket, and go.

I'm very pleased with my Forcefield protector, have used it at every school for a few years...impressively comfortable too.

Have you ever seen any data on how long they last, if they ever need to be replaced? (Aside from if you fall down, I'm just talking about age or amount of use.)

I have a Dianese, I've been using it long enough that I am starting to wonder if it's time for a new one.

Have you ever seen any data on how long they last, if they ever need to be replaced? (Aside from if you fall down, I'm just talking about age or amount of use.)

I have a Dianese, I've been using it long enough that I am starting to wonder if it's time for a new one.

You may have already answered your own question, as in, if you're thinking about it just do it. Last thing in the world you want crossing your thoughts on course at speed is 'is my back protector too old?'.

I've never seen a replacement metric for these either. Would guess common sense comes into play if it’s physically worn (straps, buckles) or is any part of it made of any form of foam, soft or hardened. If it contains foam I’d replace it at least every 5 years like a helmet because that stuff breaks down after being exposed to elements, sweat...etc At the same time, no racing environments have a requirement, suits can be older than 5 years and be just fine (but usually don’t contain foam either).

So, in summary, dunno. ;)

Mine has a plastic outer shell but the impact absorbing material is a honeycomb metal of some sort. I don't think it would break down like foam, and the proctector itself looks perfect (straps, etc.). My leathers are fitted based on the shape of it, so I think I'll keep it for now - until I learn of a reason to change it!

I would imagine this is highly subjective to the design and materials involved in the back protector. Certainly Rubbers and Foams will lose their elasticity and break down over time, reducing their ability to absorb a impact. I would reckon to guess any back protector that is "reusable" has a effective shelf life before the materials degrade to a point of no longer being effective, and of course care use and cleaning would have a effect on that shelf life. Aluminum Honeycomb based back protectors most likely wont suffer from the same degradation over time that rubber or foam would, but would be much more susceptible to accidental damage rendering its single use, used so to speak. Much in the same way a fall from enough height will render a helmet "used" anything that would compress the aluminum honeycomb could have the same effect reducing its ability to absorb a impact.

FWIW I have one of the Dianese aluminum honeycomb style with the shoulder blade protectors

• 10 months later...

Hey Gorecki,

I have the Knox Aegis and have been very happy with it.

Best,

Carey

Same pinch... I use Knox Aegis as well and been riding with for almost 6months+

Not tested yet though...

I'm planning on getting a Knox track vest or something similar. My suit doesn't come with space for chest inserts so I definitely want something that covers my chest as well as back.

Hans, You can get chest guard (easy attachment) separately with Knox Aegis as well. It gets attached to the straps of the Aegis very well.

Have you ever seen any data on how long they last, if they ever need to be replaced? (Aside from if you fall down, I'm just talking about age or amount of use.) I have a Dianese, I've been using it long enough that I am starting to wonder if it's time for a new one.

Hotfoot, Usual protectors have a life of 2-3years (mostly the types which are used as inserts) but like T-McKenn mentioned it would also depend up on the make and material used.

Viscoelastic foam based protectors like sas-tec have a life of 10years and also it's multi-impact compliant. I replaced armor in my leathers with them and it's extremely comfortable as well. Most other armors needs a change after a fall/crash.

Hotfoot, Usual protectors have a life of 2-3years (mostly the types which are used as inserts) but like T-McKenn mentioned it would also depend up on the make and material used.

Viscoelastic foam based protectors like sas-tec have a life of 10years and also it's multi-impact compliant. I replaced armor in my leathers with them and it's extremely comfortable as well. Most other armors needs a change after a fall/crash.

Mine has an aluminum honeycomb mesh with a plastic shell over it, no foam or rubber as far as I know; I'm not sure if it would degrade or not. I have had it for a long time now, maybe eight years, but I've never had a fall with it, I've handled it carefully, and the honeycomb still looks perfect, like it did the day I bought it. I guess I should email Dianese and ask; it's been on my mind to change it just because I've been using it for SO long, but I like it and my leathers are fitted around it so I have been loathe to change.

Hotfoot, I know the back protector that you have and it should be fine as long as the straps are in good shape. I had the same protector but the larger size, until I finished the last school at Barbers.

The aluminum is not going to degrade any time soon and the plastic should be fine for a while too. It is not directly exposed to the elements so there should be little to no UV damage to the plastic. If anything that a good look over the plastic and cloth mesh. If you start to see any cracks or tears then it will be tie to replace.

I am having to change protectors because mine was rode up my back during class and I didn't realize it until the end of camp. 2 piece suit + 2 day camp = sore shoulder blades. Otherwise I would still use it. Besides my brother needed one anyway.

I ride with a Dainese HPC with straps over the shoulders. It extends from my C5 to about 1" above my tailbone. I like that it covers so low on my back as tailbones take a lot of abuse. When I road tested it last year out at Miller it was great as I had little to no bruising and no soreness. I ride with it under my JoeRocket 2-piece which has full armor. I thought it was going to be tight at first, but after about 10 minutes I found I didn't notice at all. Now I feel naked if I have just my suit on and no back protector.

Have you ever seen those mesh suits, made to go UNDER leathers, that have the armor built into the inner suit?

I saw a guy riding on the freeway yesterday wearing one of those undersuits. Nothing over it - except his boots. Just the mesh suit with the pads flapping around in the wind. Guess nobody told him it is underwear!

Have you ever seen those mesh suits, made to go UNDER leathers, that have the armor built into the inner suit?

I saw a guy riding on the freeway yesterday wearing one of those undersuits. Nothing over it - except his boots. Just the mesh suit with the pads flapping around in the wind. Guess nobody told him it is underwear!

Those are mostly for dirt riding than for the tracks... Awareness about riding gears are very low everywhere too...