Hi, Old Newbie Here!

Hi Guys

Paul from Melbourne Australia here.

Just signed up after perusing the CSS Australia site, and ordering the Twist II DVD!

I've had my new bike (2012 CBR250R) since February so I have 3 months on learners and 2-3 months on my license. I have about 1600 kms on the bike now and am gaining confidence in traffic everytime I go out but still feel less confident on higher speed cornering.

I did reply to an earlier post under 'school' regarding the Level one course but it didn't work for some reason.

Anyway, basically I was asking if it was too early to tackle Level One at Philip Island and should I do it on my bike as the hire bikes (GSXR600s) seem a bit daunting to me at this stage.

After reading a lot more of the forums last night I'm leaning towards doing it and taking my bike. What do you think?

Welcome!

I think it makes sense to take the class on your own bike that you are starting to get familiar with. At your level, just familiarize yourself with a much heavier and far more powerful machine will be daunting, likely reducing the outcome of the class. You will learn far more on your own bike where too much power will not be a problem, leaving you to fully concentrate on braking and especially turning plus lines.

Welcome!

I think it makes sense to take the class on your own bike that you are starting to get familiar with. At your level, just familiarize yourself with a much heavier and far more powerful machine will be daunting, likely reducing the outcome of the class. You will learn far more on your own bike where too much power will not be a problem, leaving you to fully concentrate on braking and especially turning plus lines.

Thanks Eirik, good advice. I can't trailer my bike down there (about 1.5 hrs drive) so I can see the ride home will be a hard slog, but I will put a few mates that have trailers on notice just in case!

Welcome to the forum Paul!

To your first question "is it too early" the answer usually is: if you are comfortable at highway speeds (and maybe a bit more) and comfortable with the operation of a motorcycle (i.e. you don't have to "think" about how to steer, brake, shift, etc.) then it is not too early. You need to be comfortable enough on a motorcycle that you can focus on the lessons and not on the basics of how to ride.

On the subject of your bike vs the school's bike I tend to think the first reaction is the right one. In your case you have a very trackable bike in a different size than the school's and your gut is telling you to ride your machine. Eirik makes a good point about famaliarizing yourself with a new machine. Whichever way makes it eaiser for you to focus on your job as a student is the right way. I've used the US school's S1000RR because it is a much better track tool than my street bike (at least until I break down and buy one myself :) but I've seen quite a few folks who didn't let that get in their way (Rabbit) as the lessons will apply no matter which way you go.

The ride home might be an issue but if you are worried about it stay an extra night and ride home fresh the next day.

Best,

Carey

Thanks Carey. Staying near the track's not a bad idea actually. I hadn't even thought but the ride to the track would actually be very cold and very dark as well!

To clarify your point about comfortable at highway speeds; Yes I am, but not cornering at higher speeds. I'm enjoying riding more every time I go out but feel the higher speed cornering is where I lack confidence and the only places near me where higher speed (80mkh+) corners exist are up in the hills, mostly blind corners and from May to September, usually cold and damp even when not raining.

Warregls post above is excellent, catches all the points. You don't have to be comfortable with high speed cornering, the school will help you with that. As long are comfortable with shifting, etc. so your attention is not consumed with basic bike control you should do just fine.

• 3 weeks later...

Welcome to the forum Paul. Have you had a chance to watch the Twist II DVD yet? What did you think?

My response when people ask if they're ready for CSS is usually to say that if you can go, stop and turn a bike - you're ready! From what I've read the CBR250R is quite a fun & capable bike. And to be able to ride Phillip Island... I will get there myself, one day!

• 1 month later...

Welcome to the forum Paul. Have you had a chance to watch the Twist II DVD yet? What did you think?

My response when people ask if they're ready for CSS is usually to say that if you can go, stop and turn a bike - you're ready! From what I've read the CBR250R is quite a fun & capable bike. And to be able to ride Phillip Island... I will get there myself, one day!

Sorry for the late reply! (Just started a new business and work gets in the way of leisure sometimes!)

Yes, bought the Twist II DVD through the school's site and have watched it twice!

I'm enjoying my riding more already but I know I'm not doing everything right all the time, but am hungry to keep learning.

And yes I love the CBR, I think it's just right for learning and will do me just fine for another 8 months of 'restricted' license!

There's a level 1 day at Phillip Island next week so am just trying to organize work so I can be away for the day, hopefully.

1342082513[/url]' post='28440']
1342074905[/url]' post='28437']

Welcome!

Thanks Eirik, good advice. I can't trailer my bike down there (about 1.5 hrs drive) so I can see the ride home will be a hard slog, but I will put a few mates that have trailers on notice just in case!

If you have a car I would suggest to definately trailer the bike there, you can rent one for the day, trailer. Just in case you happen to slide down the road and that you will be very tired after a doing level 1

• 1 year later...

Been a while since I posted but wanted to give a big thank you to the guys at CSS Philip Island for a great day yesterday.

Since my last post I actually completed Level 1 on the CBR250R in September last year which was great and had me wanting more. I decided to wait for level 2 until I was on unrestricted license. Well that came in May this year when I bought a new Street Triple R.

Level 2 was great, a real eye opener, literally! ;) Interesting to note that when I did level 1 I felt it was really fast and when I first went out yesterday on a bike probably 3-4 times as powerful I was much more comfortable, and even more so by the end of the day. And this on a day where we had cold, rain and howling winds! Will put all the drills into practice for a few months and look to do level 3 in a few months.

Big thank you to my coach Todd who was very encouraging and had good feedback and advice, Steve Brouggy and all his staff for a great day.

I also sat next to Cobie at lunch who was down for a flying visit, really nice bloke! We had a good chat and he also sat in on my last debrief. It's great to see that the founding school are still involved and hands on as there were also some coaches there from the US. Pleasure to meet you Cobie!

PS: Just added a CSS Day in California to my bucket list!