Motogp 2013 Silly Season

1344677071[/url]' post='28865']

It's official!

Rossi will go back to Yamaha on a 2 year contract.

cmon guys, this was released yesterday, and you haven't put it up here yet? :D:D:D

Damn, I'm already looking forward to see Rossi back in contention again.:)

Clearly we are slipping in our duties as armchair pundits. tongue.gif And I'm with you, I can't wait to see him competitive again!

Now what about the SBK/BMW rumors for Elbowz....

So, the 'Unofficial MotoGP 2012 Silly Season' has started!

What is known:

Stoner is leaving the sport

Pedrosa stays with Honda Repsol for 2 more years

Marc Marquez sign on with Honda Repsol (stepping up from Moto2, with a 2 years contract)

Lorenzo stays with Yamaha Factory (2 year contract)

Spies is leaving Yamaha Factory

Hayden stays with Ducati Factory for 1 more year

Rossi moves to Yamaha Factory on a 2 year contract

Stefan Bradl stays with LCR

Brad VanHorn: you wrote that "Smith" had a contract with Tech 3. Are you thinking of Bradley Smith in Moto2?

Unsettled:

Dovizioso

Crutchlow

Hector Barbera

Toni Elias (stays in Moto2 or goes back to MotoGP? ... or?)

Alvaro Bautista

Michele Pirro

Most of the CRT riders are likely to stay with their teams (or do a 'musical chairs' routine).

Now what about the SBK/BMW rumors for Elbowz....

Elbowz = Spies ? (I'm not so familiar with the nicknames)

Brad VanHorn: you wrote that "Smith" had a contract with Tech 3. Are you thinking of Bradley Smith in Moto2?

Elbowz = Spies ? (I'm not so familiar with the nicknames)

I read somewhere that Smith was getting moved up to one of the MotoGP seats with Tech3. I'll look for a source to confirm.

Yes, Elbowz = Spies

I found the Tech3 info regarding Smith in numerous articles, blogs, etc. This is but one example.

Tech 3 Racing Team signs three-year deal with Bradley Smith

Monday, 19 September 2011 09:19

The Tech 3 Racing Team is delighted to announce it has reached a three-year agreement with highly rated British rider Bradley Smith.

Smith's new contract will see him remain with the Tech 3 Racing Team in the ultra-competitive Moto2 World Championship in 2012.

He will then move to the Monster Yamaha Tech 3 MotoGP Team for 2013 and 2014 having agreed the long-term deal with Tech 3 owner Herve Poncharal during last weekend's Motorland Aragon race.

http://www.teamtech3...11-spain-aragon

• 2 weeks later...

Dovi is now confirmed to take on the Ducati challenge in 2013 and 2014.

http://www.motogp.com/en/news/2012/Andrea+Dovizioso+and+Ducati+together+beginning+in+2013

On a related Ducati note, a link to an interview with Masao Furusawa (former head of Yamaha MotoGP program) about the approach from Ducati to him to improve their bike:

http://motomatters.com/interview/2012/08/21/masao_furusawa_interview_on_visiting_ita.html - an interesting read!

I saw that on another website and couldn't help feel like that move is a mistake... I hope Dovi has more success than his predecessors.

Agree on that Brad. The interview of Masao Furusawa shows that Ducati have been following a very different 'strategy' for their chassis design than Yamaha, and this may be the key to why they have been struggling for the last 3 years or so.

Anyway, it turns out that Cal Crutchlow has more sense in his head, since he has resigned with the Monster Tech 3 Yamaha team, with a 1-year contract. It sure would be nice to see Cal on the podium (heck, ANYONE but the Usual Suspects) for a change.

Latest rumour is that Spies will be back in MotoGP next year - on a Honda.

That would be awesome. The satellite teams seem to be very close to the factory teams in terms of bike performance, so I think this would be good for Spies.

I saw that on another website and couldn't help feel like that move is a mistake... I hope Dovi has more success than his predecessors.

I'm with you on this Brad. But then again maybe he can ride the Audi wave of change that is sure to sweep over Bologna (which one is the sarcasm smilie face?). Kidding aside, it does look like Ducati is working to change but it does seem slow to happen. I wish him well.

Latest rumour is that Spies will be back in MotoGP next year - on a Honda.

That would be awesome. The satellite teams seem to be very close to the factory teams in terms of bike performance, so I think this would be good for Spies.

I heard this yesterday during the race and thinking about it it could work. If they give him a factory bike (as they did with Marko) it could be a good move for him. And I'm sure Honda would love for him to be successful on their bike after the season he has had with Yamaha.

Given the options of: Gesini on a factory bike, BMW in SBK, or working with Suzuki for 2014, what do you guys think is the right move for Ben? I have to say I'm leaning toward the Honda option as it gets him on the track and competative (hopefully) in MotoGP next year.

I keep thinking Dovi is in trouble. He had great opportunity on the Repsol Honda last year and now the Tech 3 Yamaha this year. The Ducati move just seems more and more like a step backwards.

For Spies, I honestly think WSBK would be better for him because I think he'd be a genuine contender for the WSBK title. I do not see riding a satellite Honda in MotoGP as the direct path to a MotoGP title so he'll have to spend another year or two proving himself worthy of a new factory ride and then maybe he can be competitive for the title. I assume MotoGP means a bigger paycheck and theoretically more prestige, but WSBK just is a more interesting, exciting, competitive series at the moment and I'd rather see Spies have a real chance to win there vs. just trying to improve his credibility in MotoGP.