What's Your Goal?

At the start of the year I'd just completed L4 and spoke to my coach (hi Jason!) about potentially becoming an instructor. Then I broke my leg pretty badly in a race. So my goal is to spend the next 12 months (or how ever long it takes) to get back to that level and well beyond to legitimately start the process for becoming an instructor with CSS here in Australia.

Maybe we can the coaches take turns coming up and giving you a squeeze on your thigh or calf every now and again, what do you think?

:rolleyes:

You could recruit Tyler O'Hara for coaching that drill...

http://www.asphaltan...la-xr1200-pass/

I havent seen a move like that in quite a while.

• 7 months later...

Little over half a year has passed , anyone care to chime in with progress towards the goals the listed 7 months ago ?

So far in 2013 I've managed to average 2 days a month on a racetrack, tho my recent mechanical issues will result in my missing the weekend I had schedule for June,

I haven't yet managed to schedule a lvl 4 school though I have pretty well decided where I want to take the school

I do feel I've made some decent improvement on my braking, my top speed down the back straight at streets was much higher last time I was there and I was much more consistent at setting my entry speed into 10 hard on the brakes, and the few laps I did manage at Fontana last month I felt more confident in my ability to scrub off speed.

and finally I'm still planning to start club racing this september with CVMA, as long as my bike is mechanically sound by then of course

Tyler

1. Continue to ride sensibly and not endanger me or others - YUP

2. Continue to practice my totally new way of riding; setting cornering speed early and power through - until it become second nature - GETTING VERY CLOSE

3. Convert my VT500FT Ascot into a Scrambler over winter - SOLD INSTEAD

4. Replace the fork stanchions on my 1977 Z650 with new OEM I've gotten hold of and get the bike lifted from 98 to 100% correct - DONE

5. Have my spare Z650 tank/tail/sidecovers painted to mimic the 1974 KZ400 - DECIDED I COULD SPEND MY MONEY ELSEWHERE

6. Spend some time next season practicing low speed control; figure8s, slalom, tight circles in order to improve skill and reduce fear - THANKS FOR THE REMINDER!

One of my long time goals of revisiting CSS happened at VIR this past May. Did levels 1/2

Next on the list, attend again and do level 3/4

After that, we'll have to see but I am hoping/expecting that many more times with CSS is in the works.

• 2 weeks later...

First, getting to ride a bit (both road and track), which means "outside of China" should anyone be in doubt smile.gif

Secondly, keeping the rubber side down ALL YEAR! (grumble).

Thirdly, get better at explicitly identifying RPs instead of relying on my intuition.

Fourth, be more greedy on the throttle roll-on (now that I got an idea of what it takes to get the rear to slide, thanks to Jon and Johnny).

Fixing my racebike would be nice too, but won't happen the next twelve months since it's in storage.

Well, the bike refused to start after fourteen months hiatus, so the only thing I can reasonably claim is to keep the rubber side down. Another twelve months of hiatus awaits the bike - and me :(

Wow, that's a long break! No time on a scooter, anything?

Pushbike, if anything, Cobie. Riding a bike in China is pretty dangerous imho.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

The biggest challenge I'm going to have to overcome is confidence in my machine. I have proven to myself a few times—though not necessarily on purpose—that if I mess up, I can remain calm and keep the situation from escalating. Despite this, I find more hesitation flicking it in or powering out of a corner than I ever did when I had four wheels instead of two at my disposal. In order to gain this confidence, I've come up with a few key points that are likely holding me back.

1. Vision. It's not good enough to just look up the track anymore. I need to learn to ignore the urge to keep my head perpendicular to the ground.

2. Learn the feedback my machine is giving me. I used to tell people that tires sing before they scream. This song was something that could be heard and felt simultaneously. I don't feel like I have that same feedback, but I know that I'm probably just not listening the right way.

3. This will always be on my list, so I put it in third, not as an afterthought, but because it is something I will always try to work on. Smooth is speed. Smooth pick up coming out of a corner will reduce the chop I sometimes get at corner exit and this will give me more confidence to power out sooner. Knowing how to flick in both quickly and smoothly will certainly give me more confidence on corner entry.

As far as a complete answer to the initial question, I want to compete. I want to become a proficient enough rider to know that no matter what the situation, I can keep my race face on and find a (safe) way to win. I'm already finding myself tagging onto faster riders every so often at the track and planning out a pass, giving myself a few laps to rehearse it, and then having that perfect moment where it comes together. The downside to this? I know that whatever amount of focus I'm putting onto developing these passes could be going towards developing aspects of my riding that is more important right now.

P.S. I can't believe I forgot this one, but I need to get a lot better transitioning my grip to get set for right hand turns.

I haven't done a school as a student for a long time, and I earned one a while back. I'm going to get the super sticky Stomp on my bike, and see about getting that placed where I need it exactly. Want to make sure I'm able to get nice and loose at max lean angle, 35 degrees :)

I haven't done a school as a student for a long time, and I earned one a while back. I'm going to get the super sticky Stomp on my bike, and see about getting that placed where I need it exactly. Want to make sure I'm able to get nice and loose at max lean angle, 35 degrees :)

Is that at 35 C or F? :P