Cold Rides

Well, it's that time of year - what are your tips and secrets for keeping warm and comfy while riding in chilly weather? If you do track days, how do you dress or prepare to keep warm in the pits? What about handling drizzle, wind or rain?

Something in particular I'd like to know - have you found gloves thin enough to work in (set tire pressures, for example) but still a help against cold numb fingers?

Nothing beats heated jacket, pants, socks and gloves. Other than having to hook it all up, of course. Which is why I use heated grips. Also going to make a heated seat this winter for my tourer. Hippo hands also help immensely and allow you to use thin gloves, but not very cool on a race rep :D

I use so much clothes when riding in the cold that I can barely move; climbing all over a bike is impossible. So I think you're back to electric stuff if you want to keep comfy in your normal leathers.

I can only +1 on heated clothing - I have gloves and a jacket from Gerbing in the US, which I bought when I used to live in Norway.

A trick to keep your hands warm in the rain is to put on thin plastic or latex gloves on inside your normal (race) gloves. Works really well when you are caught out on a trip way from home.

I can only +1 on heated clothing - I have gloves and a jacket from Gerbing in the US, which I bought when I used to live in Norway.

A trick to keep your hands warm in the rain is to put on thin plastic or latex gloves on inside your normal (race) gloves. Works really well when you are caught out on a trip way from home.

Thanks for the tip!!

Time to store a pair in my underseat compartment :)

• 1 month later...

Hmmm, cold and wet at the racetrack... This is the first year I've lived close enough to the racetrack that riding in the cold and/or wet is not deterred by having to travel. When I lived further from the track it was much easier to rationalize not going unless the weather would be favorable (warm and dry being the most preferred).

I did some Google searching and found all sorts of layering possibilities - everything from wearing a plastic trash bag up to expensive thermal/gore-tex undersuits. I have a couple different weights of thermal underwear but my leathers are perforated and I assume the greater concern will be wind chill factor, even more so if it's wet. One thing I saw, which seemed an interesting possibility, was a reasonably priced ultrathin wetsuit.

I have electrical wired in my trailer so I can hook-up and run a heater/fans if necessary for when I'm off track. So, what to do while on the bike...

I was considering some of the cold weather under armor for track riding in colder weather, I have the hot weather stuff and it works great, I know they make a line of cold weather wind proof stuff that might work well. no personal experience just a thought

Tyler

I've used the under armor cold gear as an underlayer - it works great. Blocks the wind under perforated leathers a LOT better than I expected.

I've been looking at the UA Cold Gear on the UA website. I too use the loose gear/heat gear in the summer. I thought the cold gear looked promising (at least from what you can tell online) so I guess I'll check out the local sporting goods store this weekend and see what they have on hand.

Hotfoot: Is there a specific UA lineup you've tried and liked? They are a bit confusing since many of their items are near identical in appearance (and description) but with a slightly different title. Thanks!

I was considering some of the cold weather under armor for track riding in colder weather, I have the hot weather stuff and it works great, I know they make a line of cold weather wind proof stuff that might work well. no personal experience just a thought

Tyler

I've used the under armor cold gear as an underlayer - it works great. Blocks the wind under perforated leathers a LOT better than I expected.

I've been looking at the UA Cold Gear on the UA website. I too use the loose gear/heat gear in the summer. I thought the cold gear looked promising (at least from what you can tell online) so I guess I'll check out the local sporting goods store this weekend and see what they have on hand.

Hotfoot: Is there a specific UA lineup you've tried and liked? They are a bit confusing since many of their items are near identical in appearance (and description) but with a slightly different title. Thanks!

They have added a lot of options since I bought what I have. At the time it was just called "Cold Gear." The shirt that I have, that is really warm and blocks the wind, is a snug fit underlayer that feels noticeably thicker than the Hot Gear; the outer texture is smooth but the inside is more like a fabric, not the slick shiny of the Hot Gear. I bought a crew neck long sleeve shirt (my leathers choke me if I wear a turtle neck shirt), but after wearing it a few times I cut the sleeves short, because the full long sleeves felt too bulky in the elbows under my leathers. :) It's REALLY REALLY warm, though, and not so simple to peel off if it gets hot since it is the undermost layer. I only wear it if it is really cold and expected to stay that way all day.

In more moderate temps or on a day that may warm up, I wear my regular (Hot Gear) Under Armour shirt with a warm layer over it, the overlayer shirt I have for that is a brand called Chili Pepper. It's very similar to the UA but a little looser fitting. Then if the day warms up I take that layer off but still have the regular Under Armour shirt underneath.

If it is really cold I wear thermal leggings underneath my leathers, I think they are Chili Pepper also - they are made for skiers, I think. And wool socks.

The whole effect is very sexy. :)

Jeff, I like your answer!

For some years, all I had were bikes (back in the 80's). But living in SoCal, its pretty darn nice most of the time.

... my leathers are perforated and I assume the greater concern will be wind chill factor...

Brad - I have had good luck with the Knox Cold Killers. It is coated on the front to cut the wind and its breathable on the back. It's not as flexible as the Under Armor but its warmer!

... But living in SoCal, its pretty darn nice most of the time.

Sure, rub it in with your nice weather and movies stars. Ah, to live the glamorous life.

For some years, all I had were bikes (back in the 80's). But living in SoCal, its pretty darn nice most of the time.

WERA race in So Cal yesterday, it was 27 degrees at the track in the morning! Getting ready for the 8am practice, the bike's temp gauge read 2 degrees C - no way was it gonna start. Missed the first practice but finally got it push-started in time for the second one.

The WERA crew said the weather was nicer at home for them than here.

WERA race in So Cal yesterday, it was 27 degrees at the track in the morning!

Thanks Hotfoot. I feel better now. :P

I like to use very thin 100% wool long-johns and long-armed shirt, from the Norwegian company Devold. It's their "Arctic" model, designed to go down to ridiculous temperatures (when used in combination with other clothes).

I use the Devold's year round - sun or rain, Denmark or SoCal (I even brought them to Willows in October).

For some years, all I had were bikes (back in the 80's). But living in SoCal, its pretty darn nice most of the time.r

LOL, Back in the 80's a bike is all I had too for several years. That was in FL though were there is only one day of winter and if you oversleep you will miss it. :)