Which Bike Should I Bring?

My Buddy and I are pretty sure we are going to do level 1 at Barber either may 31 or June 1. He has a 07 CBR600RR and I can either use my modded 02 FZ1 or my 07 SV650 now with new holeshot slipon and pilot pures. Which do you think would be the best choice for the class or does it even matter?

• 2 weeks later...

We have a good deal if you need that for the tires (its a really good deal, only for students).

FZ is a nice bike, but I might opt for the SV if it handles better (providing tires are in decent condition).

CF

I agree with Hotfoot, if one bike is more comfortable for you it will be better to learn on. That said, if you are comfortable on both I would probably go with the SV. For me it would be more fun in the corners.

And the tire deal is a good one - "Shred tires not wheat."

Thanks for the input guys. The SV it will be and I just put new Pilot Pures on it right before winter.

I am bringing both bikes with me as we are also headed to the Dragon for 5 days after the class. Could I still get the deal on the tires for my FZ even though I am using the SV for the class? If so what are the tires and how do they compare to the Pilot Pures? I was going to put some on the FZ right before the trip cause they are about done.

The school has either Dunlop Q2's or GPA 211's for sale, I'm assuming you'll want the Q2's for your FZ, they are very fantastic rubber I run them on my R-6 at the track and on my FZ on the street, compared to the Pilot Pure they are noticeably stickier compound, even when cold you can feel the difference in "stickyness" of the rubber, but will wear much a good bit faster then the Powers will

I've run both but not on the same bike. I liked the profile and the lighter weight on the Pure, when I put them on my K1200r they made a significant difference from the Roads (sport touring tire to sport tire having much to do with that) and I got about the same milage on the street out them as I did the Q2s (~3500, but that is street only). I also think the Pures heat cycle quicker (maybe because the lighter construction equals more flex). But on the track I have really enjoyed the performance and predictability (not to mention the price) of the Q2s so I went back to them when I bought the S1000RR.

And the CSS deal is good for tires on any of your bikes.

My mistake, I was referring to the Michelin Pilot Power not the Power Pure, I have no personal experience with the Power Pure. I did just scrap a Pilot Power with about 6 track days and 9000 or so street miles on it, I believe i get more like 4 track days and 6k to 7k street miles on the Q2's

Are there any special requirements for my bike to attend the school, such as taping lights and turn signals or removal of kick stand? I know that some tracks/track days require special actions like this.

Here is how I look at it. Regardless if it's required or not, I would take off the easy stuff. Mirrors, passenger pegs, turn signals and so on. In the event of a down, it's just simply less stuff to fix/replace. Ya know... save some $$.

Are there any special requirements for my bike to attend the school, such as taping lights and turn signals or removal of kick stand? I know that some tracks/track days require special actions like this.

The two times I took my own bike to the school I disconnected and taped all lights and signals, removed reflectors and mirrors, and covered the speedometer. I know they want you to cover or remove your mirrors so you won't be tempted to do mirror checks and also cover the speedo so you aren't distracted by checking your speed. I don't recall if disconnecting/taping lights/signals was recommended but I'm pretty sure it wasn't required.

The two times I took my own bike to the school I disconnected and taped all lights and signals, removed reflectors and mirrors, and covered the speedometer. I know they want you to cover or remove your mirrors so you won't be tempted to do mirror checks and also cover the speedo so you aren't distracted by checking your speed. I don't recall if disconnecting/taping lights/signals was recommended but I'm pretty sure it wasn't required.

Lights, signals, and mirrors will have to be taped (or removed). You can do it yourself, if you like, otherwise the school staff will do it for you at tech inspection. Keep in mind there will be a photographer and you may want to buy pictures, so you might consider removing mirrors and signals to get a racier look to the bike, or doing your own taping if you want the tape color to match your bike. :)

No safety wiring is required and keeping your kickstand is totally ok, and a lot more convenient than fooling with a rear stand. You do need tires that are relatively new and in good condition. See the school website or your sign up packet for specific details on protective clothing for yourself.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

:blink: Almost 19 hours.. Its a long trip buddy! But I'm sure you wont regret.

Its the same distance that I used to drive to arrive at the track when I lived in Brazil.

Now I'm living in Cordova, TN, about 5 hours from Barber.

Have a blessed trip man.

See you there..

I just recently bought a BMW K1300s. I've got just about 500 miles on it, Meztler rubber as well.I've just gotten the chicken strips off. Had been riding a Honda Fury (factory chopper) for 4 yrs. would I be better off using my own bike, or using a school bike? I'm a bit concerned about the size/weight of the S1000r as I'm 6'4" and around 290. From sitting on the bike at the dealer, it seems a bit small to me. Also the reason I don't ride my son's FZ6R, it just feels too small.

The K is aroundt twice my weight and flicks very easy for me. I'm getting very comfortable riding it. But I am worried about dumping it as I've never been on a track before. I really do like the feel of a sportier bike, and I'm beginning to really 'get' it. Reminds me of my childhood racing 10 speeds downhill.

So, what you you guys recommend? School bike?