Leg Exercises For Riding

Question for Dr. Price:

We discussed briefly (when I saw you) the movements particular to riding. We often get riders asking about workout programs, but rather than tackle that wholesale at this point, how about some exercises that will help moving around on the bike with the legs.

Best,

Cobie

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Great question Cobie. I especially have issues with my hip flexors in the late afternoon sessions.

Any insight would be appreciated Dr. Price!

Best,

Carey

This came up as we often get questions in relation to moving around on the bike. I was talking with Dr. Price about it, and showing him some of the issues that come up. I'll let him get to this as he can, very interested in this.

I was wondering about this too, so I asked one of the trainers at my local gym. She said the best thing to do was to exercise the muscles in a way that mimics what you are trying to do. So I came up with a couple solutions once she said that.

- What I call the ladies sex machine.....the one where you sit down and put your knees up against the pads and squeeze your legs together with whatever weight you choose.

- The other one involves a resistance cord, setup the tension to whatever resistance you want. Then attach the cord to your ankle and bring your legs inward.

- The last one you just sit on your bike and hang off each side and transition a bunch of times while your bike is on stands lol

There are tons of things you can do, it's mostly just about getting creative with it.

Great question Cobie..let's see if we can tackle this.

It appears by the act of transition (from one side of the bike to the other) that the first movement seems to be that of a deep squat. The main muscles you use seem to be the quadriceps and the gluteus. The exercises for that would be of course squats but a simple way to do it at home would be to get into a position similar to skiing, with knees bent deep and slowly sway side to side for 2 minutes straight.

The next major muscle used after transition is the adductor group, to squeeze against the bike using the hip flexors to assist.

The quadriceps and gluteus are main movers and are able to tolerate large amounts of repetitive contraction. However, the adductor group is considered to be synergistic or are the helper muscles and are not designed to take large amounts of constant contraction.

When a muscle is over used it becomes slightly damaged creating areas of microscopic scar tissue in the muscle fibers. This prevents proper contraction of the muscle leading to more stress and more scar tissue.

I found that many people walk incorrectly, causing a constant stress, especially on the adductors. To detect this abnormality simply walk and observe if your toes point out when you take a step. They should point straight ahead, if they do not, then you are putting stress on your adductors.

In order to improve the performance of any muscle 3 things should be done on a regular basis. First you must locate and compress any tender spots within the muscle using a foam roller or a pilates type roller. Place the roller on the floor and place the muscle to be treated on top of the roller. Using your body weight compress the muscle onto the roller. Move around until a tender spot is found. Once it's found press down and hold that spot for up to one minute. This causes the chemistry to change relieving the localized spasm.

After you have thoroughly rolled the muscle the second thing would be to stretch it. It is preferred that it is a moderate pressure held for 1 to 3 minutes allowing the recently compressed muscle fibers to elongate breaking down the micro scar tissue.

Thirdly, the muscle group needs to be exercised with relatively light weights and high repetitions. An example would be 3 sets of 25 repetitions.

You can be creative on your exercises as there are many ways and machines available to create a resistance.

After my first weekend of track riding, which was CSS Lvl 1 & 2 at NOLA, my hips were spent! So when I went for another 2-day camp later last year, I had been running and remembered the pain in my lateral hip from holding my legs out during the turns. What I did, and I believe really helped, were lateral leg raises. Just lay on your side and repeatedly lift your leg for 30 reps, each side, several sets. Doing that a few times a week, for about 4 weeks prior really helped.

+1 for stretching as well. That is something I never really did and have started doing after workouts, and it sure does help.

Saw Dr Price today, he had some exercises that I think are doing to be the bomb for guys that hang off...stay tuned.

Staying tuned... :)

I saw him again, thought he'd get to this, but must have gotten tied up. I'll pester him when we get back from Vegas if he hasn't been up here by then.

CF

• 2 weeks later...

Just started using stair climber, really works different muscles than the stationary bike. Going to start rotating between rower, bike, and stair climber.

That M100 thing...wonder if I could do an M10, or maybe an M2...

I did a M60 , rested for 5 mins and finished the remainding 40 off on the first try.

the vid did say slowly up the reps/ speed if you can't do 100 at one go~

Now doing Sub 5 min M100's , i try to shave 1-3 seconds daily : )

Sorry Cobie I'm finally here......everyone waits in a doctors office :)

The first exercise I went over with Cobie was to build the adductors and hip flexors.

-Start in a sitting position with your knees a little wider than your shoulders.

-Bring your right knee towards your left shoulder. Bring it up until it stops. Continue pushing towards the shoulder with your knee for 5 to 10 seconds increasing the contraction as you do that.

-Note this is not a fast pace exercise.

-It's best to alternate sides.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm stoked to find this thread, as I too was surprised at how spent my legs/hips were after learning to properly position my body to improve my cornering.

I've been doing the stairmaster/spinning/rowing machine regularly and that certainly helps for general leg strength and endurance but I've found that the deep squatting motion we're using while actually moving around on the bike wasn't getting closely simulated enough for me.

The squat w/rocking exercise described by Dr. Price looks like just the ticket! And the lateral leg lifts suggested by KP.Craig are also on my to-do list now as well.

Many thanks Cobie and Dr. Price!

• 4 months later...

I read an article about MotoGP racers in which Cal Crutchlow said he didn´t go to the gym since years, he trains himself only with bicycle riding! I don´t want to say that doing other exercises is needless, but bicycle riding is very useful for sure, as Pepsi Drinker mentioned it before.