Hello From Tokyo, Japan!

Hi to ALL...

Greetings from Tokyo!!! Konnichi wa!!!

Im a Filipino currently residing here in Tokyo, Japan (well, been here since 1997)...

Been riding motorcycles from 2011 when I got my Japanese endorsement - but having the desire to become a safer rider (in terms of control, speed, and safety). Have both the Twist of the Wrist books, as well as the DVD... And finally - with a vacation to SoCal next month, looking forward to joining the 2-Day Camp at Las Vegas (if I get through the Waiting List, that is)...!!! *wish me luck* (Have been waiting for 2-yrs for the chance... Hahahaha!)

Looking forward to enjoying a very educational experience as the CSS...

Best regards,

Alfred

Welcome to the forum Alfred! You are in for a real experience when you take the 2 day camp. Lots of track time and plenty of coaching feedback. Plus less traffic on the circuit. Good luck with the waiting list.

What area's of your riding are you interested in improving?

Best,

Carey

Welcome to the forum Alfred! You are in for a real experience when you take the 2 day camp. Lots of track time and plenty of coaching feedback. Plus less traffic on the circuit. Good luck with the waiting list.

What area's of your riding are you interested in improving?

Best,

Carey

Hi Carey

Right now, am more interested in improving my mid- to high-speed cornering... For some reason, I just dont have _enough_ confidence in cornering when speeds increase. I seem to have an innate fear that the tires might just slip out under me, or that whatever turning actions I do would NOT put me in the correct line. Hence, obviously, SRs sets in, and I become hard on the bars.

These becomes more prominent when Im in public roads (canyon riding/twisties, etc.)... When Im in a closed course like a parking lot - not much issues.

I try to put into practice those what Ive read/seen, ie., "Countersteer," but still not fully understand it, cant truly have fine control. Then there is the "quick flick" and the "2-step" as well...

Yes - Im really WISHING hard that I get in through the Waiting List. I wish that I get that email fro Whitney really soon - as Ill be coming in from Tokyo, I need to make advanced reservations for lodging, ie., friends and relatives are based in LA.

Best regards,

Alfred

Confidence comes from understanding. When you know “why” something is going to happen you can then learn “how to” or “how not to” (depending on the situation). You will really enjoy CSS as they will teach you both. Good luck with the waiting list.

• 4 weeks later...

Hey Alfred,

Welcome to the forum! I bet you do some great riding trips to the mountains around there? I was there about a year ago with some mates and we hired bikes, went up to Hakone and I couldn't believe how fantastic that road is! I am interested in going back just for more riding, but I would do it in summer next time... haha.

I seem to have an innate fear that the tires might just slip out under me, or that whatever turning actions I do would NOT put me in the correct line.

You're not alone there... I think there's a lot of people who struggle with the same type of feeling. I know I did. You're going to love CSS - it can be a bit hard to fully understand the concept of things just from reading about it, but the one on one coaching and classroom sessions will help you enormously I'm sure. But I guess you're already there right now finding that out! Hope you're having fun at the school!

Cheers,

Conrad

Hey Alfred,

Welcome to the forum! I bet you do some great riding trips to the mountains around there? I was there about a year ago with some mates and we hired bikes, went up to Hakone and I couldn't believe how fantastic that road is! I am interested in going back just for more riding, but I would do it in summer next time... haha.

I seem to have an innate fear that the tires might just slip out under me, or that whatever turning actions I do would NOT put me in the correct line.

You're not alone there... I think there's a lot of people who struggle with the same type of feeling. I know I did. You're going to love CSS - it can be a bit hard to fully understand the concept of things just from reading about it, but the one on one coaching and classroom sessions will help you enormously I'm sure. But I guess you're already there right now finding that out! Hope you're having fun at the school!

Cheers,

Conrad

Hi Conrad

Yes - Japan has one of the scenic roads out there... In Hakone, you should be able to see Mt. Fuji on a nice day!

Here is a video (POV) of a ride along the Izu/Hakone Skyline:

Unfortunately, it was a little cloudy - and not much of a view; but a good release from the hustle of the city.

Yup, I just got back from Vegas Tuesday afternoon - totally dead tired, but it was one of the best weekends Ive ever had! The lectures were just on target, while you actually get to practice/test them out during the track sessions. The coaches and staff were great as well. I even got to have a picture with Keith!

But as Dylan had mentioned, this is just the first step - improvements will come later with much conscious practice...

Here is to overcoming our personal limitations in riding!

Cheers,

Alfred