Signing Up For School And Question About Equipment Rental

I have my own helmet, not sure if i will have leathers and boots by the time i take the class. If i dont can i always add to my package or should i sign up now and then if i dont need them receive a refund later.

Also under experience what should i put down, i took the msf course, have a license, rode a harley for a couple of years, and ride motorcross currently. I also have tracked cars and karts. Im not sure how much it means when you put experience and i am taking the beginner course. Just do not want to mislead anyone.

Thanks

It might be best to call and talk with Whitney or one of the office staff on whether it's best to request gear in advance and then ask for a refund if you don't need it. However I will recommend you get your own gear if you can afford it and if you think you'll be doing more track riding in the future. The school gear is fine but in my opinion nothing beats having your own gear - it's likely to fit better, feel better, and you won't have to worry about the hygiene habits of those last students to rent the gear ;)

For experience I think you only have to indicate how long you've been riding. That by itself won't mislead anyone - your coach will talk with you before you ride and they'll get a better measure for your ability then. I had been riding over 20 years when I took my first school - after the school I pretty much felt like I'd just finally learned to ride. You may hear that sentiment from lots of students.

Brad offers sound advice (as always). Having gear that fits and you are familiar with is less distracting. I usually suggest good gloves and boots even if you don't buy your own leathers as you can always use them on the street (feet and hands being so vulnerable even in a relatively minor off).

By the way, level 1 is not a beginner’s course. CSS has broken down the technology of riding and teaches it in levels 1-3 (with level 4 customized to work on what you need to develop). Everyone starts at level 1 and your coach will tailor the focus to your riding skills based on your input and what he/she observes of your riding on the track. But your approach is sound, go in willing to learn from the ground up and you will not be disappointed.

BTW…when/where are you signed up for?

Best,

Carey

I should post this up by itself, but just found out we have a new deal from AGVSport on riding gear. This is for students...I'll get the particulars of where to get more data for those that are interested (they make solid gear, and have been sponsoring us for many years). It really is a smoking deal.

Best,

CF

Sounds interesting Cobie. I look forward to hearing the details!

I should post this up by itself, but just found out we have a new deal from AGVSport on riding gear. This is for students...I'll get the particulars of where to get more data for those that are interested (they make solid gear, and have been sponsoring us for many years). It really is a smoking deal.

Best,

CF

Hi Cobie,

I signed up Monday for the 5/20 session at Thunderbolt and while I did arrange to rent gear, I'd be very interested in the AGV deal. Any details yet?

Thanks.

The package is for CSS students, and normally we give out with our end of day bag a flier with the info. AGVSport's distributor in the US is Motonation, and you can e-mail jojo@motonation.com.

Anyone signed up for the school would be eligible, and if Jojo needs verification, you can shoot us an e-mail at the office.

ginny@superbikeschool.com will work.

CF

Might need something custom made.

I'm not built like most riders either. I have a 52" chest and very broad shoulders. Suits off the rack wont fit me so I went custom after a few years of mixing track pants and jackets and I can tell you having equipment that fits makes a huge difference. To put it simply, its one less thing to spend some of you $10 of attention on.

I'd recommend the shop that did mine (Ayden Lee Racing) but it appears they are no longer in the leathers business. I understand Pilot suits are nice and Vanson's are popular with some riders (but they can be slow - its part of their charm).

Sorry about the typo guys, I just forgot to get back and fix it (thanks Hottie).

Leathers: The guys that have an "average" build, seem to do quite well in the AGVSport gear. And their off the shelf stuff is good quality, really. (not just saying that because).

But a custom suit is awfully nice, or really needed if you don't have the regular body type. I have a very long torso and shortish legs, stock suits don't fit me. Where as many of the other coaches do fine in them.

One other thing to consider: many get a custom suit with one bike in mind. Then they sell the bike...and the suit doesn't match the next one. If it's a little bit generic, can help you get more "miles" out of the suit. Also, darker colors. White is great, but shows everything.

I also get all the ventilation I can. The holes can always be filled/jacket/rain gear put over the top.

My 2 cents.

CF

A off the shelf suit with a couple of hundred dollars in alterations is another option. It was the little things about the way the suit fit that I needed fixed: small wrists allowed suit to ride up, shortened Calfs to fit in the boots better, bunched up at the knees. Etc. was still cheaper than a custom suit.

Didn't have to have it let out at all, just taken in. A buddy had to have his let out a little and you couldn't even tell where tr alteration was done. Definitely have someone that knows about motorcycle suits like lizzy or barnacle bill do the alterations.

• 2 weeks later...

As some have indicated you don't have to go pure custom - you can get an off the rack and have one of the motorcycle leather guys do the alterations to fit. For some of us beefier guys it usually means shortening legs or arms and tightening cuffs. Or letting out some sections.

That being said a lot of the custom suits guys are not that expensive over an off the rack and alterations. So do keep that in mind. I know several who do work here - some take your measurements and send them to Pakistan(believe it or not quite a few suits are made there) to get a suit tailor made, etc

Ad then of course you have the super hi end suits made in Italy and Japan.

• 1 month later...

I'm 6'4", 285-290, 54" chest, 40" hips and 42" waist. I have requested school leathers as I don't own my own yet. D you guys have anything that will fit me? What is the deal on leathers for students? I'm considering pants and sliders for the Scorpion jacket, but considering a Coretech vented leather for summer wear (and better match with my BMW K1300s 30th Anniversary colors)

I'll also need boots (I have been riding with hiking boots, but considering old school Nike high tops for street use) but I do have. Serviceable gloves. My helmet is a Scorpion EXO-900 Transformer. I've got a Cardo G4 on it. Sould I leave that at home, or is it an issue to listen to music while I'm on the track?

Regarding the leathers, the best thing to do would be to call the office and ask, they are very helpful: 800-530-3350.

You will not want to listen to music while on the track. You will have things to work on and plenty to think about, you won't need any additional entertainment. :)

Also, there will be someone speaking to you right before you go on track, and your coach could stop you briefly during a riding session to talk to you, so having music in your helmet would make that difficult. (Earplugs are fine, though.)

EricG,

Get boots. Your ankles are far more useful than you're giving them credit for. Look on Ebay. I got a spiffy set of SIDI's for $120 including shipping. Boots are easily worth 10X more than you'll pay for them, even new. In the more common types of crashes (Low-sides) your inside leg is going to spend some time between the bike and the ground at whatever pace you're at. Nike's will last about 10 feet in my opinion. If you're really not interested in Moto-specific boots then I'd suggest Military-style SH*T kickers. They're made of some good material and will take a serious beating before submitting.

Just my $0.02

td

...call the office and ask, they are very helpful: 800-530-3350.

+1 on the office, they are great help.

Would a good set of leathers hikers do in a pinch? I've got a descent set of jungle boots, but they're mostly nylon.

And I have to agree with the advice on boots. Your feet and hands are at the highest risk in even a small off. I hit an oil slick on the street a few years ago (looked like someone lost their engine, mid corner :wacko: ) and I went down. My right foot was caught under the bike but thanks to the Sidi's I was just sore the next day.

And the boots were cheaper than an ER copay :)