Hi From Austin Texas. School In 3 Weeks.

Hello everyone, i am Paul from Ireland but have lived in Austin Texas since 1999.

I have had bikes in Ireland starting in the late 70's on and off thru late 90's.

Started back on bikes in Texas in 2004 with a Suzuki RF900 followed by 05CBR00RR, 08 Hayabusa, 11 ninja1000(old guy sport bike) and currently ride a 2012 Kawasaki Concours1400.

I am an avid fan of motorcycle track and road racing (MotoGP, AMA, IOM TT, North West 200, Ulster Grand Prix).

Recently enjoyed 2013 motogp in Austin. COTA is a beautiful track ,weather was great and event was well organized.

Attending CSS has been on my wish list for years.

I will be attending levels 1&2 two day camp at Streets of Willow June 10&11th. It will be my first time on a track also.

Have my flight booked to LAX and rental car.

Anyone got recommendations for hotels?

To prep for the school I have read TOTW and TOTW2, I also have the DVDs also and look forward to the school. Also doing cycling to build cardio for the track.

Cheers from Texas.

Paul

Welcome to the forums Paul,

You're really going to enjoy the 2 day camp out at Streets, I can't think of a better way to experience track riding for the first time. As for accommodations there are several nice hotels in Lancaster/Palmdale which is not too far from the track, I believe the info packet you get from the school list's a few that have special rates for students. I've personally stayed at the Hampton Inn off Avenue I in lancaster. There is also the half price cheap hotel option in Rosamond which is both cheaper and closer to the track, I've also stayed there a few times and you get what you pay for. I'd recommend that anyone choosing the cheaper option bring their own towels and a extra pillow.

Tyler

Inn of Lancaster is nice, Holiday Inn near Ave K is nice - and it has a huge parking lot, handy for anyone towing a trailer. Comfort Inn is fine, too, but I haven't stayed there recently. They are mid-range hotels about 30 minutes from the track.

Devonshire Inn is closest (in Rosamond) but I only tried staying there once and I'd never do it again, it was terrible.

Welcome to the forum Paul. I'll second what Tyler said, you are in for a fantastic experience. CSS was my first trip to the track as well and it opened up a whole new world of riding. Not to mention a renewed respect for the roadracers we watch. Let us know if you have any questions about what to expect. And then make sure you let us know how it goes!

I'm jealous you got to go to the COTA race. We were planning on going but sadly work got in the way. It must help to have it in your backyard :P.

Keep Austin Weird.

Best,

Carey

Thanks everyone for the helpful replies. I booked the Oxford inn.

I noticed the school is running on Sunday June 9th. I arrive before noon the same day. Would it be possible to check it out as a spectator or helper on Sunday.

If not I understand.

Looking forward to my first track experience.

Regards

Paul.