Superbike Shotoout Highlights Video

Here is a link to a neat little video of the Superbike Shootout event at Auto Club Speedway in Fontana last weekend. It is a great representation of what it was really like at the event! It was terrific having the pro teams there, the whole weekend was a blast.

The Superbike School was there, as you can see in the video, and if you look to the right and across the lane from the CSS trailer, you can see my race pit. :)

http://www.roadracingworld.com/news/video-highlights-from-the-yamaha-socal-nationals-round-one-of-the-geico-motorcycle-superbike-shootout-presented-by-yamaha-series/

Hotfoot, A few things came to mind when I watched this and some of it is personal so I hope you don't mind. First I was very disappointed by the absence of BMW. I'm wondering if you've ever raced one and what you ride now outside school and do you ride streets as well. For BMW I know they've dropped some of their sponsorship leaving the task up to privateers. Any help from you or others would be appreciated. Oh yeah, I realize this was a Factory sponsored event so of course they're going to push their product but I certainly agree that its a good thing to have racing at that level in your area on a big track. Its also pretty cool that it was a pro-am event and I'm wondering how BMW does at the lower levers. It would have to be competitive I think. What the truth of the matter? Thanks, Nic

Good questions. BMW did not show up much in the highlights video, however they were very much present at the event. There was a BMW trailer (in addition to the CSS trailer) and BMW had a contingent of local large BMW dealers (I think there were six of them) supporting the event. They rented out the whole track Monday, the day after the races, for a BMW owners track day, had a dinner on Sunday night for us, and had the factory BMW test rider and their world Superbike engineer from Munich, both of whom spoke at the dinner and offered support for BMW riders during the whole three days. They also brought out some HP4s loaded with race mods for us to ogle. Also the Superbike School as there all three days with the CSS trailer and set up a couple of S1000rr bikes (including a cool body position trainer bike that acutally MOVES to help train riders find a position that is secure during transitions!) and had coaches there to help riders with body position and other riding questions.

My husband and I own an S1000rr together. We bought it to share but it has become his primary racebike (he also has a Ducati) and I rarely get to ride it because any race I could ride in conflicts with one he is in, plus he has set up suspension and tires and rearsets and everything else to suit him so it has become a bit hard for me to ride - so nowadays I just get my S1000RR fix at school when I'm coaching. :) Anyway he is racing the heck out of the S1000rr, running a full series and racing in FOUR classes. He received amazing support from the BMW folks as did some other privateer racers, including the opportunity to run data loggers and review the data immediately with the world Superbike engineer. In their Sunday night presentation BMW made it clear that they are focusing the vast majority of the rider support budget into privateer and local rider support - trackdays, club racing, privateer support. It was an impressive presentation and they have some neat ideas.

I hope that helps answer some of your questions! Regarding what I ride on the street - well, we don't ride on the street anymore, except occasionally on rural dirt roads on our dual sport bikes, and none of my 'road' bikes are street legal anymore. Once we discovered track riding we quit riding on the street.

+1 This is the first time I've seen road racing so up close and personal and to get a feel for what its like to be on a current Superbike in racing. Very cool indeed. It gives you a feel for what a blast it was and will be. I see now the economic power of BMW which only makes sense but sometimes you have to see it for yourself. Thanks so much for sharing so much about your personal life. Its very interesting to me because it helps me to know where your coming from when you make comments especially to me personally. I also have a better idea what its going to take to set my bike up for the track. Fortunately my job is getting me into a little better financial position to delve into this brave new world. My wife can't participate but she really tries to be understanding when I get so jazzed up with my bike. I love them both so much...sometimes its tough convincing her who comes first ;) All for now. Thanks again. n