Battery Recommendation

For track use only Antigravity Batteries makes a pretty tiny 4 Cell unit that weighs a claimed 16 Oz for 600cc, and a 8 cell for 1000cc at 1 lb 9 oz , no personal experience but researched it a bit a while back, seems to be decently reviewed.

I know a few years ago, CSS actually had a lightweight battery for sale on their table of goodies at the school, can't remember what brand it was though

Tyler

I think that was the Shorai, Will speaks highly of them. My husband just put one on his dual-sport bike, and they (Shorai) claim you can let a bike sit quite a while without it being on a charger, that it will hold charge for months. I betcha we will be testing that theory out! It is definitely amazingly light.

Most of the lightweight batteries are li-Ion, I did see one at the IMS show that is lipo. I have used a few, a Shoria for three years without issue. They all suffer the same Achilles heal, you can not run them low voltage! Not a single time without damage. Usually catastrophic failure the first time. Most offer a 1% discharge rate per month so they can be left alone without a tender. Bottom line is most of the bad out there about this type of battery is from people who used the wrong charger or drew them down too far.

I have Shorai's in 5 of my bikes. It's an amazing battery. Never a single problem out of any of them. I'm working through the fleet and plan to have Shorai's in all of the bikes. Just wish they made car batteries.

I like Shorai batteries so much one of them is in my Harley which does not benefit from the weight savings at all. The Battery Shorai offers for the Harley offered 540 cold cranking amps which is a significant improvement over the 300 cold cranking amps the stock lead acid battery has. Factor in that you can leave a bike sitting for a year without starting it and have it start right up and there's no acid to worry about It's a wonderful choice even for a the heavy hectors.

I have never once needed to trickle charge any of the bikes equipped with a Shorai.

I have a Shorai in one of my bikes. The biggest issue I have with it is the first start of the day in cold weather. I let the battery warm up for a few minutes before even trying to start it and then it will barely turn the motor. Warm weather starting in a non issue.

My experience is with a Ducati. It may not be an issue for an I4.

My bikes stay in a climate controlled building, aka the climate outside determines the climate inside :)

• 1 month later...