Since Laura suggested I start a blog some time ago I've been planning on doing it but now I'm doing it. The first order of business is to thank Kevin for letting me know I could rent a race bike at Loudon. My plan at this time is to get my license October third as a 60th birthday present but that's not set in stone. It going to take some time before my dreams of a sponsored ride can even be spoken out loud. One of our students Valerie Thompson has been helping me with my confidence and courage regarding sponsorship mainly just by doing what she does in racing and with her sponsors. I realized I'm going to have to legitimize my riding with accomplishment that can be measured. I was able to drum up some sponsorship when I raced bicycles out in Colorado but that was barely enough to eek by and that was a long long time ago. When I think back about it though it was a very cool and interesting time in my life. Pretty much the way it is right now except that its better now. Who would have thought getting old could be cool? When I realized Keith was ten years older than me and still on his bike I was absolutely inspired. I'm off to a good start. Thank you,

Hey Nic. It's always nice to see someone follow their dreams. I'm glad to hear you are going to try your hand at racing. I'm looking forward to seeing the blog.

Age is a meaningless number anyway. Some inspiration for you. Here's a well known 80 year old by the name of John Surtees riding a vintage MV at Barber.

Thanks Robert, Most definitely inspiring. My Black Night is back! Everything back in perfect condition just like off the showroom floor except for my "Cornering Learn the Art" liscence frame I picked up at my CSS School day and she runs like a champ. My mechanic loves K & N so what could i do but let him go ahead even though Will isn't fond of them. I believe I can feel and hear the difference in performance. The tune-up was after 11,775mi and I know the air filter was horribly dirty due to the sand and resultant dust used here in the winter; I would have changed it much sooner had I known it wasn't part of the 6k service. I put 250mi on her yesterday. Lets just say I was glad to get her back. My riding after a hiatus since 5/20/14 is right back where I was only a little better. Amazingly it was there as soon as I got on the bike because I just put my mind to the adage that when you fall down, get right back up. Robert, you know I did some much slower low power riding at your behest since May 20. I know your instruction helped. Thank you and to all the other members who have made suggestions about my riding.

I took a my Long Island Sport Bike Group out for two technical loops (where we lost another young rider 22 year old, who was not a member of my group...this was last week and he was out on his own and angry that he couldn't find anyone to ride with, Cobie, this is the same turn that I was having trouble with last year and you easily discerned it was a double apex, I usually do this ride often and then I took them out on the highways to the Jones Beach Needle. If not racing and riding stupidly fast, its just good to ride in a group and the younger inexperienced riders are just thirsting for someone to lead them. With three riders as good or better than me to pick up some of the slack, I've been able to establish three rides per week this summer where there were NONE last year. I'm hoping to get the group well established with rides down to NJMP for CSS and track days. We have one of our Members, Mike, going to the two day CSS in August and we may get some others to join him for the ride and to see how great the School is. Another dream of mine, once I become a better rider, is to go into the local high schools and encourage them to get training, proper gear, and maybe save a life; There has been a rash of crashes lately and it breaks my heart. My wife and I passed another rider up morning in street clothes who died in a traffic accident. There was another non-fatal crash I came upon just after it happened. I'm telling you all this not to be scary or morose but to remind myself and express to you all the imperitive nature for safe riding where motorcyclists can find the kind of insruction that will help them the most be it MSF and similar or Cornering, Track Clubs, or Racing Schools. This is the situation in the NYC metro area. There are some very good clubs that are City based and I'm trying to follow their lead. The connection between this and my racing is very important to me.

Now that my bike is back I can make plans for the rest of the season and I will post up on these. Penguin suggests at least 5 track days before the the licensing course and I'd like to avail myself of that if possible. Eric told me he would wave that if I look good enough in the track and street day. I intend to use the experience gained from Trevor Pennington to improve my manner on the track.

So, onward and upward to become a better safer rider and to be a real racer.

• 2 months later...

Got spooked last night by a guy who put in seven seasons at Loudon and told me some horror stories; My wife chimed in and reminded me that I promised no racing. Well sort of. I'm racing this coming year and that be with heck or high water. More later.