Patched Pavement Techniques

I've seen a number of crashes happening on patched pavement corners (specifically first turn of the chicane 3 and turn 10 at NJMP), more so than other turns. In one case during an expert race I heard talking about a rider low siding on patched pavement.

If you can't chose a different line, how do you approach patched pavement? Reduced lean angle? Lower speed?

^^^^ this kinda... but with some prepwork ahead of time.

Having raced at Nelson Ledges, lovingly called "the only paved MX course in the US", ensure your suspension is working where it needs to be and ride those corners as normal, just be loose and smooth. Sure, the bike will move around a bit but it's no big thing really. The feedback you get as a rider is more amplified than what the bike realistically cares about, especially if you're riding tight. If stuff get's really nasty, best alter the line... after all, there is always more than one good line through a corner. You know how to find them right?

What is the measure you have found a good line?

Also, not all tracks are equal. Some.... require you to turn a knob on your suspension to help with bumps, ripples or flat out potholes. Ask the coaches/vets in the paddock, someone is sure to help. :) The same setup is not perfect for every track.

To expand on my previous point,

At Streets Of Willow there is a huge pavement seam in Turn 5, right at the apex that you cross at full lean angle and considerable speed. It's big enough you can make it out on Google maps. One of my fellow corner workers used to regularly complain about loosing his front end there and catching the bike with his knee. At a recent weekend he was complaining about it and I mentioned that I had the complete opposite problem, my front end tracked over it fine, but it would kick my back tire out and at a aggressive pace it would make the bike quite squirmy but nothing unmanageable. He seemed puzzled by this and I explained that I all but completely let go of my clip on's when I go over that seem, 2 fingers on the throttle with just enough pressure to maintain my throttle and nothing more. left hand completely off the grip. He tried using that same technique for a session and suddenly he was having more trouble with his back end than the front.

It's not exactly patched pavement, but the concept is the same, be super relaxed and let the bike do what it wants. just like dirt biking in the sand, "fast and loose" let it move around and stay on the gas it will sort itself back out

Tyler