Repeat Or Advance

I'm fresh off my first class with CSS at NJMP on 8/3. I'm looking at some vacation plans and looking at past schedules and Laguna Seca in the spring of 2016 seems like it's a 70% done deal for me. It would be a bucket list thing to hit that track and a west coast vacation is in the cards with the wife. Question is what level? While I advanced tremendously in the L1 class and looking over the L2 class reviews I certainly think both will benefit me greatly. Hell, L1 over and over and over will, but at what point do I jump up? I know it's an individual thing but I'm not sure if I'd be better off repeating L1 and taking L2 the next day or going to L2.

Laguna sounds awesome :)

Unless there are very pressing reasons to go back and repeat the level you just have done, I would go for the next level.

Only when you've done all four levels, would I recommend considering going back to level 1-3.

I guess a reason would be speed. Perhaps this is more of a courtesy than need but part of me feels that my track speed should be a little faster before advancing too far. Don't get me wrong, I want to maximize my money but in considering how that money is best spent I can't help but think I might still gain a lot more from repeating L1. Perhaps a CSS coach could chime in on that, I know it's the weekend and they're likely busy.

The other reason I think that repeating L1 makes more sense is I don't know that hitting L4 would yield the same benefits for me as they would for a more experienced track rider. There are plenty of things I feel I could do better even just on the very first L1 drill.

Don't worry about your speed. You should always ride at the speed that is most comfortable for you. Even if you are level 1, you're going to be out there with level 2/3/4s, most likely, as they tend to mix the levels among the riding groups. Please don't think that because you are level 2 you need to be faster. I can understand that you perhaps *want* to be faster, but don't let it stop you from learning more.

Personally, I would do level 2 and if the on-track coaches think you need to repeat some aspect of level 1, they'll work with you on it. They'll also remind you of the level 1 take-aways to get you back in the game, usually. Don't feel like you'll be not-quite-ready or the like. Even people who do level 4 occasionally get told they need to work on Throttle Control (a level 1 topic). Ultimately, even though you might be doing level 2 drills, you'll still have a chance to practice good level 1 skills while out there.

But obviously it's completely your choice (and $$$!) and you should do what is most comfortable for you.

Gotcha. I don't want it to seem like I am making it all about speed either, I had just been in a L1 only group and had assumed they never mixed. Makes a little more sense now. I certainly don't want speed to slow my learning and I do intent to ride my own ride.

I am most comfortable doing what is suggested. I've got thousands of hours of non-college adult learning and CSS matches the best with their systematic, layered approach. You guys know better than me.

...and read!

Read the Twist of the Wrist series but especially Vol. II. Read it, then read it again, and then again. The off track preparation is your homework assignment and it helps you build a stronger foundation into your riding at a more measured approach. You can read a section, go "wait a minute" and thumb back and see how it is linked to something you had already read without the pressure of thinking, "Whoa, I've got to get back out for the next session" which can happen at a School. You will find Level II and subsequent Level's easier if you have absorbed these books.

Here's another vote for Level 2.

I was also a slow Level 1 student. I improved greatly and went ahead and did Level 2. By the end of the day doing Level 2 I had amazing confidence and had made massive improvements.

The school is more about technique rather than speed. Technique is the key building block towards speed. The speed you get from good technique is effortless speed.