Bringing Your Own Bike

Hey guys,

I'm getting ready to sign up for my first school date and have a few noob questions. Hopefully I can get some insight from you guys.

1. At a typical Level 1 date, what is the ratio of students renting the school bike vs bringing their own bike ? I would be on an SV650 track bike with all of its 70HP ( on a good day ), so there's would be a pretty big gap speed wise if everyone else is running the S1000RR. Just don't want to be a rolling chicane for everyone else out there.

2. If you bring your own bike, I assume you have to go through an extra step of taking your bike through tech whereas rental bike are just available and already tech'ed when you arrive ?

3. Would you typically recommend people register for back to back levels ( 1 + 2 for example ) on back to back days ? Since each level cover its own topics, the only advantage I can think of for back to back day is that if you're unfamiliar with the track, day 2 will be much more productive since you don't have to relearn the track. However, back to back day run the risk of a hard crash on day 1 ruining both dates.

Right now I want to take both days on my SV though am seriously considering just attending 1 day on a rental bike.

Hey guys,

I'm getting ready to sign up for my first school date and have a few noob questions. Hopefully I can get some insight from you guys.

1. At a typical Level 1 date, what is the ratio of students renting the school bike vs bringing their own bike ? I would be on an SV650 track bike with all of its 70HP ( on a good day ), so there's would be a pretty big gap speed wise if everyone else is running the S1000RR. Just don't want to be a rolling chicane for everyone else out there.

2. If you bring your own bike, I assume you have to go through an extra step of taking your bike through tech whereas rental bike are just available and already tech'ed when you arrive ?

3. Would you typically recommend people register for back to back levels ( 1 + 2 for example ) on back to back days ? Since each level cover its own topics, the only advantage I can think of for back to back day is that if you're unfamiliar with the track, day 2 will be much more productive since you don't have to relearn the track. However, back to back day run the risk of a hard crash on day 1 ruining both dates.

Right now I want to take both days on my SV though am seriously considering just attending 1 day on a rental bike.

1. I'm not sure of the ratio, but certainly there are a number of people that bring their own. They're not all S1000RRs. I wouldn't worry too much about speed differences. HP is not the sole measure of fast vs. slow. At your average track day you can often see Ninja 300s whizzing by liter bikes (in the corners, not so much in the straights :))

2. Yes.

3. I always recommend 2-day camp because it's all still fresh in your head from the day before and you can really get back in the game easier. I've made the most progress this way. And you also get more track time per day in the 2-day camp (even compared to 2 back-to-back single day classes).

I agree with all of the above answers, and the ratio varies from about 1/2 to 2/3 school bikes and the rest personal bikes.

An SV650 is a great bike to take a school on. The speed differential would be very little at a tight track like streets of willow and more noticeable on a track with a long straight like VIR.

lampstax - I am a rider than has taken their own bike to css. During my day there were a good number of other riders who brought their own bike, so I didn't feel out of place. While the schedule is tight and lends itself to having a prepared and ready bike when you get out of class, you can feel good about bringing your own if there are no emanate problems with your machine. If you run into mechanical issues, your gunna be missing things like class time, an on track drill or your resting time will be narrowed.

As far as 1 day vs 2 day? This is no different than any other track org that runs back to back days. Basically, you have to check their policy on such matters and accept it or... buy 1 day at a time and hope there is an open spot the day of (expensive). Also, you do understand what riding within your limits and riding at 75% of your skill really means right? Staying in that zone reduces your risk level tremendously and makes committing to a two day event much more inviting. While any track time is good, some of the best days are the 2nd day. Your comfy with the track layout and can focus on YOU vs. YOU and the track.

So here's some thoughts.

#1. So what if you are a rolling chicane. If learning is the goal you can do that regardless of the performance.

#2. Renting the schools bike is just a good idea and something I'll probably do in the future. It completely eliminates a lot of hassle that can take your focus away from the learning. With a personal bike you have to transport it to the track, get it through tech, deal with tire pressures, keep it in fuel, and worry about it. The school handles all of this for you including tire changes. It's like having a personal pit crew. You just jump on the bike and ride knowing someone else has checked the tires, filled it with fuel and handled all of the details for you. If the bike breaks (rare but it happens) they just put you on another bike. No searching for spare parts or getting out the wrenches.

I have also seen the little bikes harassing the big powerful 1L machines. Something funny that I'll admit. I was doing a track day and was moving along at a pretty decent pace on my S1000RR. Nothing in the universe makes you feel more humble than being on a 200hp RR when a better rider on a bright yellow BMW GS effortlessly sails past you in a corner. :)

#1. So what if you are a rolling chicane. If learning is the goal you can do that regardless of the performance.

That was me in levels 1 and 2 and I still had a blast. I think I got passed by five bikes after one corner.

When I have done schools in Europe (ie: Sweden and once in the UK), I have always used my own bikes, since I was able to bring them and that I know how they owrk, so I don't need to spend needless mental energy in figuring out how something works or feeling awkward on the bikes.

When I went to Willow springs to do first a 2-day camp and then a CodeRACE, I did not bring my own bikes - shipping them to the US and back simply didn't make sense.

In Sweden, everyone was bringing their own bikes. Simple reason: it was the UK staff coming over to coach, and they didn't bring a trailer full of rental gear on the plane.

In the UK, I would estimate that about 1/3 to 1/2 of the bike were rentals, the rest were bring-your-owns.

In the US, there were a few riders (a faint minority, as I recall) that were riding their own bikes. Part of adding to this was us foreigners, because it wouldn't make sense to ship a bike back and forth across the Atlantic (just imagine having trouble in getting it through customs).

I've "always" done two days in a row - either two single days or a 2-day camp. I have been comfortable in being able to take the coaching in, so felt this was the best way.

Personally, I would recommend you to bring your SV650 and do two days.

I would say for levels 1 and 2 use the school bikes. If it isn't two much of a hassle for 3 and 4 I would like to use my own bike. I feel that my bike is different enough that I get some quirky things on body position I may not be able to fix on the school bike. Might retract this part after I do Level 3 and 4 at the end of the month on the school bike. I truly Believe level 1 and 2 to be universal in terms of skills regardless of what bike your on.

I've decided to do both days ( level 1 & 2 ) on my SV650. I know that bike well, which hopefully will focus me more on the drills vs being distracted riding a new to me bike, and have spares in case of small issues.

Thanks for everyone's advice and see you guys at the track !

Great choice there,

Which track will you be attending the school at ?

also I don't think anyone mentioned this but if you opt for a 2 day camp, using your own bike isn't a option, BYOB is only available at the single day schools,

I have seen a few students at 2 day schools get to use their own bikes for one or two sessions at the end of the day, but it's rare and not something I would count on being able to do.