Body Position And Rear Set For Tall Riders

Hi,

I need some help analyzing my foot position on the rear set. I am 6' 2" and not the tallest guy in the world, but the S1000RR feels a bit cramped. I attached 2 pics.

In the left side pic, you can see how uncomfortable the ankle angle looks. Plus it feels like the riding boots aren't designed to bend forward so much. Not only looks awkward, it feels so too.

The right side pic, after getting a bit more used to the bike and experimenting with BP, that's how far back I have to sit to get a good knee-lock on the tank. The further back I sit, the more cramped my feet are.

Just want to get your opinion on how comfortable the S1000RR is for taller riders, and whether using an adjustable rear set that can be moved further back is the answer! I know there are a lot of you tall riders out there...

Thanks.

post-25904-0-02661300-1439416712_thumb.jpg

post-25904-0-28272700-1439416899_thumb.jpg

I'm 6'1" and I don't have any real issues with it feeling cramped.

For your first picture on the left, have you tried just raising your knee a bit? That should help your ankle not be so cramped. For me, this puts my knee right in the best part of the tank. Not sure how your legs fit compared to mine though. From your second sentence it sounds like that might have helped?

I actually find that the farther back I sit, the *less* cramped my legs feel. Interesting that you say the opposite. Sometimes I am too far forward and wondering why everything feels wrong and I scoot back and am like "ahhhh".

Thanks Robot,

Yeah my legs are a little long for my height. When I sit farther back, my outside knee does open up which is a good feeling and less cramped in the knee area. The downside is that my heel drops to about the height of the footpeg and thus becomes even more cramped in the foot area.

Tried a few different things and just haven't yet found a way to get a good lock and be comfortable.

I guess I could place the arch of my foot on the peg like a lot of world-class racers do; that would open up the ankle. You just get so much better leverage when you have the ball of your foot on the peg.

Hey there. I'm tall as well and had much the same problem on the first RR's that I rode.

I tried a couple of different rearset options before settling on the BMW HP rearsets. Expensive but amazingly adjustable. One single bolt loosens the setup and gives you an amazing amount of adjustment.

Another thing that may help is the BMW HP race seat. It's taller than the stock seat and angled up towards the back and covered in a nice grippy material that holds you in place.

You obviously can't do this on school bikes but it helps. Interestingly enough riding the new 2015 School bikes I did not have the problems that I had on the previous generation bikes.

Here are some photos of the HP rearsets and the race seat.

IMG_7309.JPG

IMG_7327.JPG

csmith, as I was explaining previously, I already have the ball of my foot on the peg and it is not possible to move my foot further back on the peg. So moving back on the saddle (with the same foot peg contact) would move my knee back on the tank but would also drive the heel of my foot further down and making my foot more cramped. While it's better contact with the tank, it is less comfortable.

rchase, thanks for the pics. It's good hearing that the rear set actually did make a difference. I wanted feedback before spending money on it. And I didn't just want to buy any rearset, has to be one compatible with the quick shift. I imagine the BMW HP ones are. Do you have a pic of the left side showing the rear set and the gear change rod?

To be completely honest the aftermarket ones work with the quick shifter. I found the shifting on my Woodcraft rearsets to be a bit clunky. Moving to the HP rearsets made it even smoother than the original rearsets that came from the factory.

Here's a dark pic of the stock one.

IMG_0639.JPG

Here's a photo of the GP shift conversion setup on my track bike. Ignore the black tape on this photo. It's to protect the carbon as I'm a bit of a heel grinder.

IMG_7253.JPG

I guess I could place the arch of my foot on the peg like a lot of world-class racers do; that would open up the ankle. You just get so much better leverage when you have the ball of your foot on the peg.

No magic bullet or one-size fits all when it comes to body position. But I think you may have figured out what could work well for you. Try your own suggestion of positioning the arch of your OUTSIDE foot on the peg, but continue to position the ball of your inside foot on its peg. You may find that you can better use your outside foot, ankle, and thigh to provide substantial support and foundation for your abs to support you upper torso; while the inside foot and leg can relax a little and not have to support your weight. Adjust your feet position when you are adjusting your body position (left to right, vice versa). May feel ackward at first, but stay with it long enough to get the rhythm down to see if it will work for you.

but continue to position the ball of your inside foot on its peg. You may find that you can better use your outside foot, ankle, and thigh to provide substantial support and foundation for your abs to support you upper torso; while the inside foot and leg can relax a little and not have to support your weight.

Thanks chef. I have a track day in a week so I can spend the first couple sessions when the pace is slower to play with BP.

Good point on the inside foot. If I don't use the ball of my inside foot on the peg I always end up dragging my toe sliders whenever I drag my knee so I had to fix that.

I was watching Dylan Gray riding the souped-up motogp BMW bike and I caught this screenshot. He may not have the best contact/leverage, however my takeaway from this pic is that he puts such little weight on the inside foot, which is a good indicator for good outside leg support.

14d3vrs.jpg

• 1 month later...

I was just wondering this myself.I was going to start my own post, but hopefully OP wont mind.... Ive been trying to wait my outside foot in corners. but it seems I naturally want to weight the inside peg. like squatting on my inside foot like a baseball catcher. ive noticed when my toe touches it touches the bottom of the slider not on the slider. Looking through pics I can only find one where you can see this from. I wear a 14 boot so I understand how difficult it is to maneuver around. Also it seems that the heel guards are kinda in the way when I try to get my foot in the right place. Any ideas?

KH3_7242_zpsggr7nepo.jpg

No I don't mind. I could learn from responses to your post as I also unwantingly put a lot of weight on my inside peg. I was trying to think about it; being so tall you will hang off the seat more and the only way to support all the weight of the body parts hanging off is with the inside peg. Unless the seats were wider but that would make it harder to move around.