Ideal Equipment For School

Guest John

There's a choice of using the school's bike or your own. On average how many level 1 students use their own bikes? It seems that using your own bike is an advantage because you get the feel of how your own bike handles and you learn the suspension setup. However the schools bikes are selected for the right mix of handling, size & etc.

I am struggling with what bike I should use: I own a Ducati ST4 and a Ninja 500EX. It seems the Ducati, stripped down would be a bit overpowered but the Ninja would be too small and too much of a "street bike."

Or should I get a third bike for the track B)

John

Hi John,

This is one of the most asked questions!

My advice is to come to a School on the bike you are most comfortable with. This will allow you more attention to learn the lessons and apply them.

John,

I've talked with a lot of students about this, I'll go over what we have covered in the past.

For a few students riding their own seems to allow them to spend more attention on their riding, and in the end it's best for them to do so. For some, they are so worried about their own bike, they never fully relax and enjoy the riding/school.

On the other hand, I've had many students that had never ridden a properly set up bike, and have been amazed at what they got out of one that had been set up correctly. Occasionally I'll ride student's bikes and sometimes I get off the thing amazed at how they could ride the thing at any kind of decent pace at all! In fact, it's pretty rare that I get on a student's bike, and have it work anywhere near as well as ours. From the training standpoint, this is an issue, as riders often have confidence problems, and don't know that it isn't them, it's their bike!

In addition to that, how often do you get to ride another person's bike on the track, that is in virtually perfect shape, and you don't have to worry about riding it hard--as hard as you want.

There are a few other minor reasons: one is mechanical. If ANYTHING goes wrong with your own bike (though not likely, it does happen), you could be out of luck. With a school bike, we have tons of spare parts (and spare bikes) so this is not an issue.

Another is the hassle of transporting your own, having enough fuel, or riding the thing home when you are really tired.

Finally, seeing an instructor on the exact same bike, you know it is down to rider, and not equipment, and that can be a factor in training too.

This got longer than I thought, hope it answered your questions! Don't hesitate to pm me if you have anything else you'd like to ask.

Best,

Cobie

I've sent friends over to CSS from OZ to do a school at Laguna. All they needed to take with them, was a spare set of underpants (in case of a brown out :o )

They used the school bikes, leathers, gloves, helmet and boots.

The report I got back, was they was very impressed with the bike setup and the condition of the bikes, with heaps of fresh rubber (Will wouldn't have it any other way I'm sure). B)

• 3 weeks later...
Guest xtrmln

I wanted to get a perspective on what I was thinking about doing. I was planning on using one of the CSS bikes but wondered if it might also be a good thing to also bring my own bike into the mix. Input on this would be appreciated. Best to stick with one and get it dialed? or variety for perspective?

both are great options, but it seems to come down to whatever you will be most comfortable on. Some people are so worried about crashing thier bikes that using the school's provides them with less stress. I would prefer to use my bike, since that is what i ride on the vast majority of the time (and i am confident enough in my riding to know i could keep it on two wheels).

bottom line, whatever it takes to get you the most comfortable will give you the best tool for learning at the school.

Xtrmln

You might find it tuff to switch about bikes during any one day as there are logistic issues like numbering and tagging the bikes and getting the transponders for your laptimes coordinated properly. The other thing is you wont have a whole lot of time as you are kept busy from 0730 till the afternoon wrap up. When you are not in class you are on track, or getting ready to go on track.

Best thing is sign up for 2 days back-to back and do one day on yours and one on the school's. I used the school's bike first when I did that then once I got the idea of what was expected I could be more comfortable on mine.

JR

Guest xtrmln

Thanks for the response, I think I will be using the schools bikes. I'll be bringing my bike with me however (hoping for good weather) while I'm down there. Unfortunately I would love to do the 2 day course but the one track thats close to me is only offering a 1 day class for the time I'm able to peel away from work :angry: Oh well I'll have to hit the boss up for another week later in the year ;) Thanks again for responding I love these forums on my alltime favorite topic.. :D

• 5 weeks later...

What bike would you recomend for a complete newbie. I really like the 600-class bikes (kawasaki zx600r, sazuki gsx600r, honda cbr600rr, yamaha yzf r6) but I have never sat on a motorcycle before in my life. Is a 100+ horse bike too much for a beginner?

Using a school bike allows you to comfortably follow the instructor... as you advance (level 4), the instructors at times pull you along... it is great to see the instructor on the same bike, same tires and know that if you do what they requested you too can hull arse through the corner like they do... and crashing is cheaper on a school bike

--

Get a nice used 600 as a starter bike, last I heard Will still had a couple ex school bikes, I went this route a few times. Good bikes, well maintained and very good condition (like showroom).