[Spoiler] Phillip Island - Again, The Best Race Of The Year

I think this race was probably the most exciting race of the year (so far), because it was a four-way dogfight to the line.

It was totallt insane that Marc Marquez was about to take 1 second out of Jorge Lorenzo on the final lap, to catch up to him, pass him, to be ahead by 0.25sec at the chequered flag. Just WOW!

In some ways, it was a very unusual race, because neither of those that went (Marquez, Lorenzo) in front were able to up a decisive gap, but were caught up again. Lots of passes at the two hairpins (Turn 4 & 10) and great stuff like Iannone passing both Rossi and Marquez, when Rossi did a block-pass on Marquez but left the door open on the inside for Iannone.

Oh, and Iannone taking out a seagull with his helmet and fairing - there was a mighty hole in the fairing just over the right handlebar!

Marquez and Iannone demonstrated again and again the power advantage of the Honda and Ducati over the Yamahas, as they out-dragged Rossi several times out of Turn 12 and down the Gardner Straight to the finish line and Doohan Corner (Turn 1). I guess that Ol' Santa can start preparing a more powerful engine as a Christmas gift for Rossi & Lorenzo.

With Rossi missing the podium for the second time this year, his advantage over Lorenzo is down to 11 points. Not terrible, but not exactly great for him either, as it seems that every race a new contender comes and pushes him backwards in the points.

In Moto3, Danny Kent really just didn't have the luck, as he got clipped twice by other riders. First time he was lucky "just" to be pushed back 4 seconds and behind Bastianini at the 16th place. He fought himself back through the pack and Bastianini to around 5th when Antonelli's front wheel clipped Kent's rear wheel, sending the both off in a big way - and taking Bastianini with them.

Iannone was impressive, he rode really aggressively but also looked well in control. He made some amazing split second decisions to take advantage of opportunities that suddenly presented themselves. Khp - totally agree on the power comment, Rossi was working hard to get ahead in the corners but repeatedly getting outrun on the straights.

Considering that the Yamahas were down on power to Honda and Ducati, one could only imagine if Rossi was on Iannone's bike this year. Regardless, that was as good a race as any that I have ever seen. When Lorenzo got out in front I thought oh well, here we go again but Marquez wouldn't let it happen. Then Rossi and Iannone clawed their way back and gave us the best race of the season.

It was such an amazing race for it's entire length I thought that Nick Harris was going to lose his voice. I almost did as I was screaming at the TV as well. To have 4 bikes and 3 constructors capable of winning on the last lap demonstrates how well MotoGP has managed it's brand this season.

When Lorenzo got out in front I thought oh well, here we go again but Marquez wouldn't let it happen.

That was my thought exactly too. I was very surprised that neither Lorenzo nor Marquez were able to get away from the others, once they got out in front - they've done that again and again over the season, so why not this time?

Maybe it's the high-speed corners that makes it different on Phillip Island?

Also the part in Q2 Iaonne followed Lorenzo and paced the same time and got placed in front of Lorenzo :D

Yeah, Lorenzo was wearing very small shoes there. It's not like Iannone has been doing this all season; he just happened to end up behind Lorenzo because Lorenzo waited a bit to go out on the track.

The word was that the track resurfacing in 2014 caused the non-conformist plot.

Last year you'll probably remember the new surface was ultra abrasive and was destroying tyres so they had to have a mid race compulsory tyre change (where Marquez was disqualified when his team misinterpreted the rule and he pitted a lap too late)

Apparently as the surfaced has aged, this year riders were suffering large amounts of rear wheelspin and this supposedly was a big factor in the free for all.

- How can there be such a large difference between Dovizioso and Iannone?

The same question can be asked of Rossi and Lorenzo, especially when Rossi couldn't hold any of the other three off all race long. He got as far as second on occasion toward the end of the race but he could hold any position he had taken from the other three, especially at the end. Iannone passing him on the penultimate lap (IIRC) could have a big impact on his chances for another championship. Finishing third to Lorenzo's second would have cost him only 4 points instead of 7. Unless I miss calculated this, if Lorenzo wins out and Rossi finishes second in both races - Lorenzo's the 2105 Champion by the same 3 points that Iannone took from him last week!

Unless I miss calculated this, if Lorenzo wins out and Rossi finishes second in both races - Lorenzo's the 2105 Champion by the same 3 points that Iannone took from him last week!

I believe you're math is in fact incorrect. With the current 11 point deficit Lorenzo and Rossi finishing 1 - 2 in both of the final races will result in Rossi winning the title by a single point. ( 25 points for 1st, 20 points for 2nd, Lorenzo recoups 10 points total )

His championship hopes now are quite literally out of his hands and he is dependent on other riders beating Rossi to help him make up the points gap.

Watching the first half of the race I was certain Iannone was doing his best to help Rossi by pestering Lorenzo and passing him on the front straight, giving Rossi time to recover from his poor starting position, then it looked to me like he was helping drag him along to the front by giving Rossi a draft on the straight to help make up time on Lorenzo, but that theory was debunked when he beat Rossi in the end :(

Tyler;

You're right, I miss calculated the difference in points: Rossi leads Lorenzo by 11 and not 8. If Lorenzo wins out (a very real possibility) then Rossi must finish second in both races to take the crown. With Marquez, Pedrosa and Ianonne in the mix, it will be a real challenge for Rossi to do that. If it rains then Rossi should be OK

If Rossi can stay at most one place behind Lorenzo, the title is his. However, the last couple of races have shown a vunerable Rossi to me, because Marquez, Ianonne, and Pedrosa have all been able to beat him. I'd love Rossi to win his 10th title, but I have very serious doubts that he's going to make it.

In the end, Rossi just isn't as fast as Lorenzo and Marquez this year (look at how Rossi struggles to keep the pace during practice and qualifying). He's just been more consistent during the races and that's what has put him on top of the points list, and that's often what wins championships (e.g. Rainey vs Schwantz).

I take his press conference antics and statement to the Italian press (he's accusing Marquez of helping Lorenzo because Marc prefers Jorge to win a 3rd championship over Rossi winning his 10th) as trying to play mind games with them and at the same time start coming up with excuses of why he didn't win the championship this year. Rossi's always been good at mind games, but he shouldn't be coming with such allegations - they are just beneath him.

In the end, Rossi just isn't as fast as Lorenzo and Marquez this year (look at how Rossi struggles to keep the pace during practice and qualifying).

Kai;

His times in the first two practice rounds at Sepang are not good. He was tenth in FP2 and Lorenzo is first (again).

In the end, Rossi just isn't as fast as Lorenzo and Marquez this year (look at how Rossi struggles to keep the pace during practice and qualifying).

Kai;

His times in the first two practice rounds at Sepang are not good. He was tenth in FP2 and Lorenzo is first (again).

Kevin,

That's exactly my point (btw Rossi was 8th, not 10th, in FP2).

Rossi got entangled in some kind of slow-down game with Marquez in FP3, which just shows how much such games can backfire. Rossi's the one who needs the close the gap, not Marquez.

Interestingly, In Q2, Rossi managed to squeeze Lorenzo out by 11/1000ths of a second for the 3rd spot on the grid, sending Lorenzo to 2nd row.