Catalunya & Mugello

Kai;

I don't think anybody has commented on MotoGP since a response to my query as to where was the interest but the silence after Mugello [OMG were those races amazing] was still puzzling. Seeing nothing today (so far) I figured that I would jump into it thinking that at least you and I could discuss these races. Now to be fair, I haven't watched today's Moto2 and 3 yet but the main event was such a shock after watching superpole that I knew at least you were watching and must have some thoughts on them.

Mugello was just incredible; I marveled at how hard the top two GP bikes raced to the end and even more so as to who won it. Especially after the energy the trailing rider expended to catch and then take the lead - and then the out of his mind moves he made to maintain it - only to get clipped at the line - was draining. The Moto3 race was phenomenal, I have no idea how these young men can ride like they do, in such a giant pack for the entire race and then have drafting passes at the line that are virtually impossible to predict the outcome makes for some very entertaining TV at least to me.

Anyway, I hope you have enjoyed them as much as I did and have some thoughts to share. Oh and for that other series, you know the one Yellow Duck is killing it in - just crickets.

I really enjoyed the Catalunya MotoGP race, except of course Ianonne's little trick - that made me pretty sad. He's really hurting the value of his personal stock this season.

I haven't watched the Moto2 and Moto3 races yet. Moto3 is typically my favourite though. The Mugello Moto3 was outstanding. I also really enjoyed that wet race some rounds back that the Malaysian kid dominated, and the other Malaysian fellow crashed out of at pretty much the last corner while running third. Pretty high drama.

Kevin,

I am indeed watching the Moto3/2/GP races, but the lack of discussion (beyond the two of us) discouraged me from posting more.

Mugello was indeed very entertaining, in all three classes. Less than 0.1 sec between the two first over the line in all three races. Just a shame about the two Engines blowing up on Sunday. At least they have now concluded what the cause was (over-revving when going full-throttle in 6th gear over the "jump" along the main straight, due to the ECU not being quick enough to cut the ignition). The rider hit by it in the race was rather dejected about it.

The race in Catalunya was almost as close, until 2 laps from the end. Iannone is surely not making friends in the paddock this year. He was coming from behind, so the fault was on him, although Pol did confirm that Iannone braked at his usual marker.

This year is different from last year, but it's no way less exciting. It's a good year to watch MotoGP in. I have my tickets for the TT Assen in 2 weeks from now. On race day, I'll sit in the Winterdijk Tribune, close to the final chicane B)

Moto2 seems to be panning out to be the 2-3 way contest that everyone was expected from the beginning of the season, although I'm a bit concerned for Lowes, since he has not been able to be competitive at the sharp end for the last two races.

In Moto3, Brad Binder seems to be running away with everything at the moment. He was, though, very lucky to escape being torpedoed on the final lap, staying upright and not loosing out more time than he did.

Oh, and the handshake in parc fermé was great to see. Hopefully the open hostilities are buried now.

Kai and Hugh (welcome my good man);

I started watching superpole for the first time this year which makes the races the following day even more interesting. In the US we have beINSports, a new (to us) network that televises SBK; All 3 Moto's and Moto America including the KTM Series. They include superpole in each of the series so I am swimming in racing on TV. I would watch this stuff and then find NOTHING being said up here so now we have at least a three man crew; Awesome! Good God I was wondering what had happened to race announcer Jonathan Green once we could watch SBK again (wasn't available here for a couple of years here) only to find out he is calling the KTM Series in the US this season. Who knew? Green and Nick Harris are like my two best friends.

As Hugh says, the Moto3 series is amazing. I don't know how Binder can find his way through that School of bike fish on the last two laps but somehow he does. How do 8 bikes stay in contention until the second from the last corner and in Mugello, the run to the line?

Hey it's all good for sure but nice to see some dialogue once again. BTW, who would have thought that Lorenzo could survive that Kamikaze like last lap attack that Marquez launched at him at Mugello. Marquez' last pass on the rumble strip had me averting my eyes. I couldn't see how that wasn't going to end up badly for him (and maybe Lorenzo).

Enjoy Assen; the last US MotoGP race I saw was at Laguna Seca and what a spectacle it was. For anyone who can get to a MotoGP event, find a way to get there. Kai, we will look forward to your observations after the weekend.

Kevin

Kevin,

I was actually shouting and cheering for Marquez to get the win in Mugello - what he did in that last lap to pass Lorenzo was nothing short of amazing. He really deserved to win, but the Honda's lack of 'hook up' just killed him. If the HRC engineers are still in denial about it, all they have to show them that video of the last two corners and the drag to the finish line.

Assen will be my 2nd MotoGP - the first one was in Sepang 2013. Hopefully we'll get a bit closer to the paddock in Assen.

Kevin,

From what I hear, HRC is very much "The Great Japanese Engineers At Headquarters Are Right". They had a pretty unridable bike last year, and they haven't made the problems smaller this year. Engine far too aggressive so they can't get any edge grip, can't get the tires to hook up and get the bike to go. All five Honda riders are having problems.