Setting Up Rearsets

Is this a trial and error thing or is there a tool that can help?

I've visually setup my rearsets to where I think they should go. A test ride, confirms that it isn't set where they should be. The pegs are set to their lowest and most forward position and I'm getting used to it, nothing I can do about it until my knees and ankles break-in (LoL), but I can get the levers down lower and that's the part that bugs me. If I go too low then getting under the shifter is a problem, too high and I can't get good leverage.

The brake side to adjust needs to come undone at the master cylinder and the threaded rod is turned a couple turns.

Am I just impatient and this takes time to do? Or is there a faster way to setup a bike? A gauge? I can't see the levers positions when I'm riding, so I am unable to duplicate the correct angle. No wonder I never fiddled with my previous bike; once I get it set where I want, I tend to leave things alone. Don't get me started on someone adjusting the EQ settings on my stereo....

Is this a trial and error thing or is there a tool that can help?

I've visually setup my rearsets to where I think they should go. A test ride, confirms that it isn't set where they should be. The pegs are set to their lowest and most forward position and I'm getting used to it, nothing I can do about it until my knees and ankles break-in (LoL), but I can get the levers down lower and that's the part that bugs me. If I go too low then getting under the shifter is a problem, too high and I can't get good leverage.

The brake side to adjust needs to come undone at the master cylinder and the threaded rod is turned a couple turns.

Am I just impatient and this takes time to do? Or is there a faster way to setup a bike? A gauge? I can't see the levers positions when I'm riding, so I am unable to duplicate the correct angle. No wonder I never fiddled with my previous bike; once I get it set where I want, I tend to leave things alone. Don't get me started on someone adjusting the EQ settings on my stereo....

What I have seen done, that seems to work for getting the shift lever to a good position, is to get some masking tape and a helper (no technical expertise needed), sit on the bike and put your feet in their normal riding position. Have the helper visually estimate the position that will line up the shift lever to the middle of the ball of your foot, then put bits of tape above and below where the lever should go. The idea is for the lever to end up in the space between two bits of tape. Then you adjust the lever to the marked position, hop back on and see if that allows you to shift up and down comfortably. If not, you have a marked starting point and you can either adjust the tape or mark on the tape a new estimated position. It's much easier to tweak it and dial it in if you have a good starting point. I usually leave the tape on until after my next decent length ride in case I find that I need to adjust it a little differently later.

The brake lever is much easier since you don't have to worry about getting under it. :)