Backing It In

AndyIbbott

Hi Guys,

It's the big thing here in Europe and we have set up a Super moto School to cope with the demand to learn it however...

Is it the new skill needed to go fast? I say yes in slow, tight hairpins but no for the fast stuff. Just interested in your points of view :P

Andy,

Here in Oz, there are a few riders that still ride 'traditional' hanging off on the bitumen, and then 'dirt' ride on the loose stuff. But it was a road-race circuit with a dirt section added.

I've noticed that a lot of Motoard courses are car parks with hay bales or Go-Kart tracks, so most (all) corners are tight (for a large-ish bike).

So? Should I be backing the RVF400 into tight hairpin corners on a road course? Does the 400 have the horsepower?

Cheers

Are we talking only Supermoto stuff or Roadracing?

I wouldn't say it is necessary in road racing.

In SuperMoto it might be but my experience is very limited in this area so I can't say.

One thing is for sure it does look cool as heck and everyone wants to know how to do it.

Hi Guys,

It's the big thing here in Europe and we have set up a Super moto School to cope with the demand to learn it however...

Is it the new skill needed to go fast? I say yes in slow, tight hairpins but no for the fast stuff. Just interested in your points of view :P

It seems that there are enough races completed that we should be able to watch what the winners do. With different riders succeeding despite wildly different backgrounds...

What does Metzger do? Schwantz? Bostrom?

And why would it be any different than, say, 600 Supersport? At VIR last year, I watched Tommy Hayden run off and leave everybody, while hanging the back end out about six inches every lap. It seems to work fine so long as the tire doesn't go away.

When you say, "fast stuff", you mean turns in which you don't have to slow a lot, right? Because, at VIR, the turn I was watching seemed to demand about 60MPH less speed than on the uphill straight.

Hi Guys,

If backing it in is the solution, What was the problem?

Will

Just ridden at a local track (Broadford) that is used for Supermoto (the joy of the southern hemisphere summer :P ).

By looking at the black marks on the entry to the corner, they low line the entry to the corner, big time. :unsure:

Not sure that I'll be backing in the RVF400 anytime soon :blink:

• 2 weeks later...

Backing it in definitely has its place. I wouldn't say it's as much of a benefit for speed as it is a mental disruption of other riders. In 2002, I spent the entire season in a heated battle for 1st place with another single rider. The two of us would trade places 10x in any given race, and we knew how the other rode.

About 1/2 way through the season, I tried slicks, and found out what happens to a set of dunlop slicks when they wear out. They slide... Now, I'm not a huge fan of sliding. It doesn't bother me, but I don't try to do it. However, on the slicks it was the most controlled slide I've ever been in.

They started letting go quite early in a 30 minute GTU race, and I had just gotten in front of my buddy. I would enter a corner with the ass end wagging around, then wick up the gas and kick it out about a foot while counter-steering the front. I would straighten it up and square off the corner. I beat him in that race, and he didn't pass me.

After the race we were talking and he said he was afraid to pass me because he was sure I was going to go down and he didn't want to get tangled up in my mess... B)

I just recently started ice racing on 250 2-stroke dirt bikes. This brought back the feeling of that day. While I don't plan on sliding it around intentionally on the pavement, if I do, I know I will be much better equipped for it come spring :rolleyes:

They started letting go quite early in a 30 minute GTU race, and I had just gotten in front of my buddy.  I would enter a corner with the ass end wagging around, then wick up the gas and kick it out about a foot while counter-steering the front.  I would straighten it up and square off the corner.  I beat him in that race, and he didn't pass me.

It's very interesting that you say a foot, I have had several small slides that totally blew my drive for a pass or got passed because of it. Im talking 2 to 4 inches here nowhere near what you are talking about.

I don't see that you would stay in front of many riders doing that unless they were scared by seeing it, It definitely isn't the fast way off a corner.

Will

Hi Guys,

I asked the question to see if it was something people wanted to do. It's a big button here in the UK as is Super Moto.

It does have it's place in Super Moto - ON SLOw tight hairpins and the like. For faster open turns it doesn't work as a fast technique.

It works on the slower tighter turns with a Super Moto as you get the bike pointed striaghter, earlier in the corner. With wide bars, lots of ground clearance and a thin; light bike it's easy to do. On a road race bike it's a lot, lot harder, more so if you have race shift!

Andy,

It would seem that part of the ?backing it in? technique is to put a lot of body weight forward over the front wheel.

Have you tried ?backing it in? on the R1?s on a road course?

Cheers