Off Season Training

Are any of you participating in this...especially the guys (this is generic Aliki) that don't live in an area where it's conducive to ride that much in the winter. Those hard-core boys up in Montana on their dirt bikes with the treads...that actually looks like ridiculous fun.

"Training" is also how you look at it...a weekend in the dirt, goofing off could be another way. Or, if you are the motorcycle business, you could call it "research."

So, any training going on?

CF

I'm teetering on the idea of using the upcoming Motorcycle Show in DC for Market Research for a product that I'm intending to develop and launch. A product development in the Martial Arts is still ongoing and consuming much of my thought cycles; I'd hoped to be able to put my attention on the motorcycle project by now, but alas...

Oh, that looks like some good hooligan fun.

Just brought my old KX-250 (2-stroke)( in for some maintenance...maybe I can get out in the desert. Now is the time to ride here in SoCal, it's cool, but not that cold and been a little wet, so the dirt is great!

I'm doing a day of Super-Moto Class at the beginning of next month, looking forward adding some sliding experience to the folder. I've also been doing a bunch of low(er) speed stuff. I started participating in local Gymkhana days last year and I practice that with Motor Officer cone patterns I got from a DVD Program and the web in the parking lot down the street from my house for an hour or so every Sunday possible. That has been challenging, fun and cheap...just the cost of fuel and a $40 investment in marker cones (I recommend the Disc style, I have yet to dump it running them over many times at almost full lock) and sidewalk chalk. It has really helped me with my visual skills and throttle control. Low speeds and extreme bike lean gives you a new appreciation for your overall feel with everything. Learning to ignore the engine hiccups, sputters, bike chug, mini front end slides over the car spot greasy patches, clunking the bars on the steering stops and trusting the bike to not fall over has made me significantly more comfortable at regular speed.

Physically I started doing a gymnastics based training as a combo for strength and flexibility, walking the dogs with a back pack loaded with some weight plates to develop better conditioned legs. I also spend a bit practicing Wide View attention shifting when out walking as well. If you're going to be walking regardless why not increase the return on the investment of time & effort you've already committed to?

Final Mental workouts have been figuring out a way to make it to more CSS Days this year :)

It's miserable in NorCal. Either low 40s and windy or mid 50s and rainy. I'm not only losing my fitness but also my mind from being in a car stuck in traffic way more than I can tolerate.

Just got a new direct drive smart trainer last night. Will be putting in some virtual miles on that. That should also help when it's too wet and rainy to even go to the gym. But I'm anxious to get back into a routine there too.

Direct drive smart trainer...gonna have to google that.

I'm getting my dirt bike worked on...low temp, desert in SoCal, damp conditions...it's perfect! Really, the dirt guys told me when the desert has some moisture it's call "hero dirt".

Now I gotta figure when I can go and get some riding in!

Anyone in the SoCal area going to do some dirt riding, say over the next few months? I'm getting my dirt bike up to snuff, and like to get out and ride the thing a time or 2 this season. Tyler, you aroud Anyone else?

• 2 months later...
On 1/11/2017 at 4:29 PM, Cobie Fair said:

Direct drive smart trainer...gonna have to google that.

Not sure if you ever looked into it but it's a bike trainer where you remove your rear wheel and hook your bike directly to it. They have heavy flywheels to help mimic "road feel" and they work great when paired with an app like zwift which let's you ride "scenes" and push yourself against all the other zwifties from all over the world.

That said, I found that it's still a bit of a drag to ride indoors. Better than traditional trainers but still not the same as zipping around outside in nice weather. I only used it 6 or 7 times so far. But I'm happy to say I did get back into the gym and even took a good look at my diet. In the last 4 weeks, I've dropped 10 lbs and 5" off my waist. As for riding, I've just been riding my fav mountain road to work every dry day and a few wet ones too. Looking forward to some track time. Traded in my Boxster for a tow vehicle bc riding to a track day is brutal.

• Like 1